Server maintenance Read more... ×
Ando81

LPG Tuners Victoria

Hi all, I’m looking for someone to help me with a good LPG tune for my xf ute. It’s a crossflow that’s been rebuilt recently with higher compression and a small cam, running straight gas via a 225 mixer and EFI manifold. I’m wondering who I should go to, I’m in central Victoria but would be happy to travel to a reputable Mechanic. What cost would be involved in a dyno tune? Is a dyno tune critical or not? I’m looking for good torque and reasonable economy. It seems to be heavy on gas at the moment using about 40 + litres for 265 kms. I’d appreciate any input.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

54 minutes ago, Ando81 said:

It seems to be heavy on gas at the moment using about 40 + litres for 265 kms. I’d appreciate any input.

working that out on 100km it's 15 litres. that's pretty normal for a mild crossflow. 

when i was in Geelong i'd use Lister Automotive, Sean(shuan?)  used to do it back then, no idea what they are like these days,  but he was pretty cluey with crossflows(wanted to fit delco ecu from a holden on My worked crossflow back in the day, because it was tunable and cheap)

i'd say economy wise it's not going to get any better.. power wise depends what's done now, 
Lpg on straight gas benefits from more initial timing and same total(so most mobs lock the dizzy mechanical advance, and crank it up to 27 ish base timing. )

tuning the mixer isn't something that takes long, so you might benefit from dyno tune  as it' would cost 1hr on dyno if there are no issues $150 -$200 
they'd want it to be serviced recently, no point tuning on worn out leads and plugs etc.

Thanks for the suggestions lads. I forgot ho mention that it’s currently on EST dizzy with hardened dizzy gear. I’m told that it’s got a temp sensor in the manifold that changed timing until it’s warmed up. Is that correct? Also I’d have to bridge the plug to check correct timing myself too wouldn’t I?

3 minutes ago, Ando81 said:

Thanks for the suggestions lads. I forgot ho mention that it’s currently on EST dizzy with hardened dizzy gear. I’m told that it’s got a temp sensor in the manifold that changed timing until it’s warmed up. Is that correct? Also I’d have to bridge the plug to check correct timing myself too wouldn’t I?

I'm not familiar with the EST, i'd always removed it. i wondered if it "locked the timing" wen you bridge that plug whether it would be useful for gas tune. wouldn't put more advance in though with vac etc

Yeah I think a fella told me that a 2 wire dizzy would be better, just less that goes on with them but I don’t know enough about both to decide to change it out or not.

or if you have limited budget, and it runs good enough as is.. leave it.

dizzy mods will probably give it more bottom end torque, crossflows have enough as is.. depends on your budget. (i'd spend money elsewhere probably.. )

As comparison, my au wagon has a self tuning set-up, closed loop sensors pick up from o2 sensor etc. I get pretty much 13/100k on a daily basis, better on long highway trips. So I'd say it close to the mark as it is but maybe could be slightly leaner for idling. Those mixers are easy to adjust, had a similar model on my range rover and got around the same ish economy as you get now.

Thanks for the input lads, after talking to a few people about my consumption figures and everything else it does I will probably leave it as it is for now. I might take it away for a fishing weekend soon and see how consumption improves with highway travel. I’ve got new plugs and leads to put on it but can’t really justify adding MSD to it as I’ve heard it can get expensive.

with all My crossflows, they all got the same economy on the highway or around town. 15L per 100km.
all except the one i built up with worked head and gas cam.. that fucker used 20L per 100km, but was pretty quick... (for a crossflow) (although, i remember putting tyres from the "lexus falcon" that spun easily that i thought were crap.. on the XF with crossflow and it couldn't spin them lol.. goes to show what a stock 4 litre lexus V8 does different to crossflow)

that worked engine owed more than $4000.. bloody hard to justify. unless you have a passion for making it the best it can be and can afford it