wokko

93 xg ute smartlock or not

I have just got a 1993 xg ute, it has starting issues apparently (last owner said)

I have had it running this morning for about ten minutes then died

now just turns over but no start

My question is does the 93 xg falocn ute have a smarlock or not ?

if so where is it located

a little googling and some say it is above the handbrake lever but I have taken the lower dash panel off and had a look and is only 3 relays there, 2 small ones and 1 large one.

My 93 XG doesnt have smart lock.

If yours does it will have a red light on the bottom left of the cluster.

MOre than likely the coil shit itself.

55 minutes ago, hendrixhc said:

My 93 XG doesnt have smart lock.

If yours does it will have a red light on the bottom left of the cluster.

MOre than likely the coil shit itself.

Cheers, I haven't seen the red light so I assume it doesn't

will check the coil

Hopefully it is that and is a quick and easy fix

mmm, starting issues still

fuel pump only primes every now and then but once does, the motor runs but then dies

looks like I need to go over wiring or check relays or maybe idle control thingy ???

who knows :)

oh yeah I replaced the coil just in case

p.s ithe xg use to be dual fuel gas/petrol but only petrol now so wondering if there is something on the gas side of things stopping it from starting ???

Mine is black plug with grey relay same as my ea

therre is a green plug with black relay next to it which the Falcon/fairlane 1988-1994 workshop manual has it as cpu power ???

but I did change both just in case but still no go

checked for power to the relay and found out that there is no power going to the fuel pump relay so now I will need to check the ignition side of things (oh what a mess under the dash) wires have been spliced into other wires and into the ignition loom ( please wake me up from this nightmare :)

did you buy My XG XR6 ute? i sold it a couple of years ago.. was cursed? 

i reckon i replaced everything,,. even the ignition switch(which fixed it) 

(i'd rather have an XF any day after owning that car.. LS engines still use pushrods..can't be that bad)

wonder if there is a way to bypass all this gas via the ecu rather than trying to figure out what wire is what and how it all works

When it's not starting, check to see if you have spark.

It could be a faulty hall effect sensor in the distributor.

From memory, the ECU will not energise the fuel pump relay (apart from the prime), until it see's a PIP signal.

edit -

Using an LED test light, check for a ground at pin 97 on the ECU connector, when cranking.

The ECU pulls pin 97 to ground, to energise the coil of the fuel pump relay, which in turn switches on the fuel pump.

1 hour ago, SPArKy_Dave said:

When it's not starting, check to see if you have spark.

It could be a faulty hall effect sensor in the distributor.

From memory, the ECU will not energise the fuel pump relay (apart from the prime), until it see's a PIP signal.

edit -

Using an LED test light, check for a ground at pin 97 on the ECU connector, when cranking.

The ECU pulls pin 97 to ground, to energise the coil of the fuel pump relay, which in turn switches on the fuel pump.

The XG came with a new dizzy already installed plus a new coil from rae.com.au

will check the ecu pin 97

Thanks for the help btw

I assuming there is a bad wire somewhere that has turned the fuel pump/relay off thinking it is on gas

Check to see if it's a proper bosch distributor.

The gears on the aftermarket dissy's, have a bad habit of eating the Auxillary shaft gear, in the engine.

The fuel pump relay main contacts +12v, is fed directly from the battery fuse box, via battery positive terminal.

The ECU main relay +12v, is fed from the ignition switch, along with the Injector +12v bus, and O2 HEGO circuit.

The fuel pump relay coil +12v, is fed from the above ECU main relay.

1 hour ago, SPArKy_Dave said:

The ECU main relay +12v, is fed from the ignition switch, along with the Injector +12v bus, and O2 HEGO circuit.

The fuel pump relay coil +12v, is fed from the above ECU main relay.

Cheers for the info

Come to think of it the O2 sensor is stuffed, well there is no plug on the end of it

would the O2 sensor prevent the car from starting if not connected ?

I think I do have one somewhere I can throw on.

Not sure what dizzy it is, part no:- DB605nc from rae.com.au (had the box in the car when I got it and still had a brand new coil in it, albeit no-name brand)

The dizzy will say Bosch, made in Australia, etc on the side of the housing, if it's a proper Bosch unit.

I can't imagine it likes not having an O2 sensor...

Sounds like there's a fair few things to sort out first, before any under-dash wiring?

8 hours ago, SPArKy_Dave said:

Sounds like there's a fair few things to sort out first, before any under-dash wiring?

True, will pick up a O2 sensor today and temp sender too as noticed it needs a new one

On the other ford forum someone suggested a quick test for fuel pump/wiring/relay was to earth the top right pin of the diagnostic plug under the dash and fuel pump should run continuiously, which it did.

What does this suggest if that worked but turning the ignition ON doesn't prime the pumps/system ???

8 hours ago, wokko said:

What does this suggest if that worked but turning the ignition ON doesn't prime the pumps/system ???

A control side issue - either an ECU issue, or a coil +12v supply issue (fed from the ECU main relay)

I'm wondering if I could rejoin the wiring where the gas part was spliced in the loom

I have some pics from under the dash and the relay it joins to

Only thing not sure about is the solenoid that is under the expansion tank and earthed to the strutIMG_20190502_142922.jpg.9dd7d8e56f7f40859d13a4673080d48d.jpg

IMG_20190502_143106.jpg.8aa5acdb4a2bf942a9bfe83512a7a228.jpgIMG_20190502_142851.jpg.9cb71655fca8f60a99f9b6b954891ba7.jpgIMG_20190502_142935.jpg.23db61d6a40d916687863b37aebafcc9.jpg

Progress, I removed all wiring for lpg and reconnected where lpg was spliced in the loom, so now have power to injectors but ignition don't want to prime the system.

It did once when I played around with relay and it started and ran nice but now no priming when ignition is turned on.

Did the cluster come default with the small rectangle 'smart lock' window as I have just noticed with the glare of the sun it has the window for it in the cluster (first one bottom left hand side) but it never lights up when ignition is switched on.???