Pagey

Which aftermarket block?

My 408 engine build has taken a turn as my original block didn't sonic to well with some walls coming in @ .90 . So instead of chasing another original block and wasting more money,  I have  decided to go aftermarket.  So my question is which way to go , the arrow which is more a traditional Cleveland or the dart shp 9.200 which is a hybrid type (clevo/windsor). I already have CHI 208 heads and manifold and sump etc. Anyone with some info would be much appreciated 

Another vote for T.Meyer Track Boss Cleveland engines.

He does them in Aluminum or Cast Iron.

Engineered for around 2000hp reliably.

Cast and Machined in the USA.

The Arrow blocks are Australian, but they're cast in China apparently, and I don't like that.

Another vote for T.Meyer Track Boss Cleveland engines.

He does them in Aluminum or Cast Iron.
Engineered for around 2000hp reliably.
Cast and Machined in the USA.

The Arrow blocks are Australian, but they're cast in China apparently, and I don't like that.

Early pre-production Arrows had air pockets and inclusions in the castings, haven't seen much more since then. I don't know why it's cheaper to go Chinese when we have so much iron here. We used to be the smart country (apparently), but nowdays nobody can be bothered. They just shut down the foundry for Ford, why not keep it open for contracting small jobs like this?

With all that's already invested, it would pay to go with a decent block. Dart has the experience and reputation, and bang-for-buck I think can't be beaten. Available in 4.125 bores for easy cubes, work better with big valve heads. More aftermarket gear available for the bottom end, serpentine conversions are easier with reverse rotation water pumps, general factory accessory mounts, etc.

Sent from my CPH1903 using Tapatalk

1 minute ago, gerg said:

Early pre-production Arrows had air pockets and inclusions in the castings, haven't seen much more since then. I don't know why it's cheaper to go Chinese when we have so much iron here. We used to be the smart country (apparently), but nowdays nobody can be bothered. They just shut down the foundry for Ford, why not keep it open for contracting small jobs like this?

With all that's already invested, it would pay to go with a decent block. Dart has the experience and reputation, and bang-for-buck I think can't be beaten. Available in 4.125 bores for easy cubes, work better with big valve heads. More aftermarket gear available for the bottom end, serpentine conversions are easier with reverse rotation water pumps, general factory accessory mounts, etc.

Yeah  was leaning towards the Dart shp 9.200 block.  Can use my  heads  and I think my CHI single plain with a little fab work.  It's  just sump and pump I think are Windsor.

Tmyer is the best after market block out - you get what you pay for 

I have a 351w Sb 9.5 dart iron eagle - alot of money in it but good quality product alot of stuff needs tweaking to get it right 

205 heads would be to small for 408 depending on cam I'd want 225 chi - scm if you have baller money 

Real talk if I did it all over again id of done a barra turbo bang for buck can't beat it - I've got alot of money into the old clevo does what it needs but costs alot 

rough cost 5k for the block, machining 1-2k prob 

adds up very quick if you have big power and need transmission, clutch, rear end etc 

33 minutes ago, BGDAV said:

Tmyer is the best after market block out - you get what you pay for 

I have a 351w Sb 9.5 dart iron eagle - alot of money in it but good quality product alot of stuff needs tweaking to get it right 

205 heads would be to small for 408 depending on cam I'd want 225 chi - scm if you have baller money 

Real talk if I did it all over again id of done a barra turbo bang for buck can't beat it - I've got alot of money into the old clevo does what it needs but costs alot 

This will mainly be a streetcar so a big dollar  block is  pointless imo , but you're right about needing bigger heads . Especially being able to go to 440 cubes.

Can go 454 on my iron eagle block 

They have different ranges for dart 

Normal entry level block think handles 1k hp? 

Iron eagle 1500 

Next level is billet 

All depends on your budget

Time.you find a standard good block ud be in it close to a after market block and not be as strong 

Just now, BGDAV said:

Can go 454 on my iron eagle block 

They have different ranges for dart 

Normal entry level block think handles 1k hp? 

Iron eagle 1500 

Next level is billet 

All depends on your budget

Time.you find a standard good block ud be in it close to a after market block and not be as strong 

This is exactly the reason why I'm opting for an aftermarket block,  don't see the point wasting time and $$ on a standard block. 

Think I'll stick to around 400 cubes but. 

4 hours ago, gerg said:

Completely agree about the state  (or lack there of) of our manufacturing industry. You would prefer dart over arrow ? Was leaning towards arrow as its basically a Cleveland block that's been updated. 

Completely agree about the state  (or lack there of) of our manufacturing industry. You would prefer dart over arrow ? Was leaning towards arrow as its basically a Cleveland block that's been updated. 
Yeah sounds good being clevo and all that, very appealing but for similar money, you get US cast & machined iron, a proven design, 4.125" bore option and I would say better support if something wasn't right. I too was excited when I heard about Arrow but then when the word "China" popped up, suddenly I no longer had a hard-on over it.

I dunno, I'm probably talking shit but that's the way I'd go.

Just now, gerg said:

Yeah sounds good being clevo and all that, very appealing but for similar money, you get US cast & machined iron, a proven design, 4.125" bore option and I would say better support if something wasn't right. I too was excited when I heard about Arrow but then when the word "China" popped up, suddenly I no longer had a hard-on over it.

I dunno, I'm probably talking shit but that's the way I'd go.

Pretty sure the dart shp blocks are cheaper. Have just been reading about the some issues with the main cap bolts with the arrow block. 

Precision Parts, are the (or one of the) Australian distributor for Track Boss from memory.

I think it's about $3500 for a raw block, with basic machining?

There is USD pricing on the T.Meyer Engines website.

5 hours ago, SPArKy_Dave said:

Precision Parts, are the (or one of the) Australian distributor for Track Boss from memory.

I think it's about $3500 for a raw block, with basic machining?

There is USD pricing on the T.Meyer Engines website.

Thanks mate  , not a bad price. 

Precision have prices on there site (All prices AUD)

Track Boss Iron $4590.45, Which there has only been about 2 cast,

Track Boss CGI iron $6885.95 (none yet cast)

Track Boss Alloy $11,476.14 (About 15 cast) (& 2 Solid alloy race 9.5" blocks)

Dart iron SHP 9.2 $3190 & Iron Eagle $5281.80

Arrow is around $3500

one I'd love is $5734, Ford Racing big bore 460 big block, 4.5" bore, add 4.5" crank, 572ci 🤔