Server maintenance Read more... ×
Michael morunga

Transmision change over

24 minutes ago, Michael morunga said:

Hi will a 1996 el falcon 4 speed auto trans fit behind my 1988 xf falcon4.1 crossflow motor my 3 speed auto is broken and want to up grade to 4 speed auto????

if your diff ratio is 2.92 or 2.77 you wont benefit from a 4 speed auto anyway. but they don't fit.

the crossflow is quite good at getting the same fuel economy with no overdrive. when i had mine and fitted a 5 speed manual it got the same economy and just was quieter in 5th(less exhaust noise from the sports exhaust) 

if you wanted a stronger trans, the C4 came out on some 6cyls , it's still 3 speed but is better. however the BW40 when in good condition and fitted with a decent trans cooler are plenty good enough(the BW51 supposedly better still, which were fitted to EFI crossflow(change kickdown cable for carby), some late model XF utes 1991 + and EA 3 speed auto falcons. which would need the extension housing and bell housing swapped and kickdown cable )

however the BW40 when in good condition and fitted with a decent trans cooler are plenty good enough(the BW51 supposedly better still, which were fitted to EFI crossflow(change kickdown cable for carby), some late model XF utes 1991 + and EA 3 speed auto falcons. which would need the extension housing and bell housing swapped and kickdown cable )

EFI xflows still had the BW40. Was only EA and 88+ XF (ute/van) that had the BW51. The EFI BW40 is different internally but will still work fine behind a carby motor (and vice versa)

25 minutes ago, Mr Polson said:

EFI xflows still had the BW40. Was only EA and 88+ XF (ute/van) that had the BW51. The EFI BW40 is different internally but will still work fine behind a carby motor (and vice versa)

i wrecked two ZL EFI fairlanes that had 51s but that doesn't mean they weren't changed later in life they are pretty extinct these days anyway, i cant remember the last time i saw an EA