Sign in to follow this  
Gav

XG Smartlock Mysteries......

Hey all,

I've almost completed my XF OHC project. Just a few loose ends to tie up before I attempt a roadworthy certificate for her. One of the last issues was an intermittent problem with starting the beast. Sometimes she'd start with no dramas and at other times she would turn over on the starter but there'd be no ignition spark. Ignition components tested okay. Substituting in a an earlier non-Smartlock 0DAC ECU (EB1 Falcon) would see the vehicle start every time but with the 6DAA or 6DAB (EL Falcon) ECUs I have it would exhibit the sometimes start-sometimes-not scenario - so I figured the problem to be related to the Smartlock feature.

A google search resulted in approximately a baziliion search items related to where the module exists in XG Falcons. I've used an XG Falcon harness in my project. The factory XG workshop manual supplement I have doesn't actually have a Smartlock section in it. Thanks Ford for the remarkable efforts regarding documentation!

So...as a public service I thought I'd document my efforts at finding its location.

The module is not in the location one may find find it in ED/EF passenger vehicles that were produced at the same time as the XG. It has been relocated in the XH as well. Turns out it's a little red fucker that can be found behind the passenger side dash mounted speaker. It's snugly fitted in there and not easily accessible. It's not the same module as exists in ED/EF/XHs as well. Its rivetted to a bracket which is located by screws to the dash assy.

Sometimes the screws (two of them) are accessible from the glovebox and sometimes they are forward facing and not accessible at all with the dash in situ. Depends on the vehicle...and when it was manufactured.

Secreted away...Ford obviously figured they'd developed a top-notch immobilizing system that never needed attention. WRONG.

You don't have to fully remove the dash assembly to get at it but all dash retaining screws/bolts, the handbrake location hardware and centre console screws need to be removed in order to located the dash far enough back to get your hands/tools in behind the dash

Here's the dash pulled forward enough to see it : it's that red box.

IMG_1041.jpg

Here it is free of its dash mounting:

IMG_1042.jpg

Here's my mod that allows access to the little bugger should it give issues in the future:

IMG_1043.jpg

It has enough harness to be relocated in the glove box to give easy access. A relief has been cut into the rear of the glove box door to allow operation of the door.

Next stop...a bypass module if it gives me further grief!

I've replaced the original module with another one. The Smartlock system must be taught that a new module has been installed. To do this, I left the ignition lock in the "run" position. That is, the alternator light is on. The EB falcon manual says the system needs around half an hour to 'relearn'. When I shoved the new module in...the vehicle was immobilized and the warning jewel on the instrument panel flashed rapidly - more so than it normally would. When it had relearned...the flashing had ceased...took slightly less than half an hour...

ford never released a set position for them, even amongst eb/ed/ef/el they changed location sometimes from one month to another, along with some of their wiring and colours used... made life a bitch at work for a while :/

^^When doing this, wouldn't it be a good idea to remove your coil lead?

when i worked at a ford dealer up here we left them connected,never seemed to bother the coils  

also the time it takes to relearn is 45 mins ,nice mod by the way!