Bogan Mick

4.0l vct Tickford motor into a 1999 xh

Okay so I am trying to fit a vct 4.0l (out of a fairlane) into my 99 xh.

i am using these original parts from from the xh

wiring and ecu

Inlet manifold and injectors

power steering pump lines etc

air con pump and bracket

dizzy and coil (may need to change cap) bend oil line to crank angle sensor for clearance issues

temp sensor (I believe) from under inlet manifold

i have questions about...

crank angle sensor on front of motor do I leave blank?

will the fukkar run like old 4.0?

do I need to change cog on the bottom of dizzy to suit au (are these different). Swapping the cog off blanking plate on au motor to xh dizzy

I’m sure I’m not the first person to do this modification can anyone assist me with information?

i have donor fairlane still if I need to get parts etc etc

dont really fancy swapping looms over as I have been told stuff behind dash will need to be changed

any help appreciated 

Okay so I am trying to fit a vct 4.0l (out of a fairlane) into my 99 xh.

i am using these original parts from from the xh
wiring and ecu
Inlet manifold and injectors
power steering pump lines etc
air con pump and bracket
dizzy and coil (may need to change cap) bend oil line to crank angle sensor for clearance issues
temp sensor (I believe) from under inlet manifold

i have questions about...
crank angle sensor on front of motor do I leave blank?
will the fukkar run like old 4.0?
do I need to change cog on the bottom of dizzy to suit au (are these different). Swapping the cog off blanking plate on au motor to xh dizzy

I’m sure I’m not the first person to do this modification can anyone assist me with information?

i have donor fairlane still if I need to get parts etc etc
dont really fancy swapping looms over as I have been told stuff behind dash will need to be changed

any help appreciated 

your going to have a little bit of fun with the front accessory drive being a vct engine, but you need to use the xh tensioner and ac pump mounts to clear the intake manifold,you will have to use the au alternator you will need to cut the xh plug off the loom and splice the au one in, you can use either the au or xh power steering pump, the heater pipe that runs around the back of the engine to the water pump will need to be swapped out for the xh one, you'll need the xh dipstick and you'll have to figure out a way to mount the throttle cable to the rocker cover, the knock sensor mounting boss needs to be drilled and tapped to suit the xh knock sensor, pull the gear off the stub shaft and put it on your xh dizzy, you can just cut the wires off the cam position sensor but you have to leave it in or you will have an oil leak, the crank angle sensor can be pulled off and turfed, you will have to modify the sump or the k frame as they will want to occupy the same space at the front, it will run fine. what are you planning to do about the vct? I have read you can operate them off an rpm switch but I haven't seen it done so I don't know for sure about that part

Are the sumps interchangeable?
i was told it will slot in lol

as for the vct I have no idea I might just be better off rebuilding one I got

sumps aren't interchangeable without changing timing cover and rear main cap, and you can't change the rear main without line boring the block
so I’m guessing no one has done the
vct rpm switch?

i thought it would run off oil pressure from switch from pipe blocking my dizzy lol
the vct doe run off oil pressure but its controlled electrically m, to be honest a vct engine without the vct working will probably be a bit of a dog

Gday, not exactly the same but we have just done the AU VCT into an EF XR6, (basically AU VCT short motor with EF accessories) and will be running the VCT from a small control box (Nextech - frequency relay module) that you can buy online from jaycar), as opposed to using the BBM switch which would switch the VCT at a different rev value than the stock AU controller, the relay module will allow us to dial in whatever revs we like (but we will set it to the AU rev range to start with)

we also cut and modified the AU sump to clear the K frame, there was a step by step guide that  I found on a forum , I printed out the pictures, cut the alloy plate/sump and took it to a professional welder to TIG it together (as I didnt have my TIG welder then), you need to carefully remove the baffle and modify it as well, and drill/tap the baffle mount points in the sump to reattach it. 

we encountered many of the issues already covered, (alternator swapped for a BA one, cut 10 mm approx. from A/c pump spacers, had to use AU thermo's along with the usually broken exhaust manifold studs to drill and helicoil)

https://www.jaycar.com.au/relay-switch-frequency-module-pulse-out/p/AA0377