bear351c

Mad Max Pursuit Special build up (USA)

Yeah, i kinda agree. Don't think they would've been as desirable if it wasn't for the movie. But, a lot of people reckon that making a Pursuit Special out of a good hardtop is blasphemy. 

Shame that the cars are going overseas, but, if people here bought them instead, they wouldn't.  

Once somebody pays 2 mill for an XA, it's GAME OVER for us blue collar workers. Sad, but true.

The plenum design on the earlier girls was much better. My coupe, with all of its rust issues I had in its life (usual coupe places) still has an intact plenum.

XD onwards was a dog's breakfast... After that dog had already thrown it up.

Sent from my CPH1607 using Tapatalk

23 hours ago, 2redrovers said:

Then maybe the blue collars can figure out how to make a replica shell that's not full of rust after 5mins.... and in a perfect world, we'd be able to actually drive the shell on full rego afterwards.

Amen to this.

Excuse my ignorance but, Surely some of the older generation has some knowledge on what FORD Australia did with the dies that these body's were pressed from?

I guess they were pressed? Would be nice to hear that even half the dies of these things were sitting around collecting dust some where and its a simple task of

putting them back into a 50 ton press and pushing out body shells.

The XA Falcon arrived in New Zealand in boxed from down under and all they needed was assembly so why cant we do this now??

Im all for buying a Ford coupe but a clapped out rust bucket starting at 20k needing another 50k spent on it before i can even think about on road costs

is just stupid money. 

"Listen FORD Australia for whats left of you, start pressing out some old classic 60's 70's and 80's body shells at fantastic prices that the average aussie bloke can buy 

and build and perhaps he or she can build a Gorgeous XA-B-C coupe for 50k instead of some bullshit Mustang that has no appeal what so ever and aint worth a pinch of shit as soon as it leaves your showroom"   

Had you started using these older body shells now a day with modern day running gear and safety features you would be at top of the leader board instead of 

in the scrap heap where you are. 

<<< steps off soap box 😋

Sadly once the run of spare parts were made from the original dies, they were often too worn out to actually be productive anymore. At that point the dies were scrapped or melted down to make the next models dies. Most companies had an anti theft policy on intellectual and physical development meaning destroy it so the competition can't get their hands on it. Lost and gone forever I'm afraid.

What would I like to see? Someone develop a modern chassis/floorpan/internal structure that lived under replica steel exterior body. This gives a replica of the cool stuff we want, but is safe like a modern-day car and reliable as a vehicle should be. It's not the same as a true replica but be honest... hands up if you want drum brakes and am radio to get to work?

Sadly once the run of spare parts were made from the original dies, they were often too worn out to actually be productive anymore. At that point the dies were scrapped or melted down to make the next models dies. Most companies had an anti theft policy on intellectual and physical development meaning destroy it so the competition can't get their hands on it. Lost and gone forever I'm afraid.

What would I like to see? Someone develop a modern chassis/floorpan/internal structure that lived under replica steel exterior body. This gives a replica of the cool stuff we want, but is safe like a modern-day car and reliable as a vehicle should be. It's not the same as a true replica but be honest... hands up if you want drum brakes and am radio to get to work?

I’m sure the new 67-8 mustang shells produced in the US take Fox body suspension components. It was a while ago I read this.

I love driving my XD but do wish it handled and turned like my FG.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Agree with all of this ^  but, honestly who would buy one.??  There's only a handful of people who like Ford product, only a small amount of them like XA/B/C hardtops, so realistically it's a VERY minute amount of sales. They make more money from selling 200,000 beige Camrys........it's just economics really.  

I would sell every piece of car I have for a new coup shell, but also would like to have it sitting on a late model chassis. Restomod style. Maybe a hardtop shell on an EL XR8 base...??

There was a time lapse video getting around of a 67 being built on a S197 platform. Pretty involved but doable.

My dream: XA hardtop on an FG chassis, coyote power. That was one sorted car.

Sent from my CPH1903 using Tapatalk

There was a time lapse video getting around of a 67 being built on a S197 platform. Pretty involved but doable.

My dream: XA hardtop on an FG chassis, coyote power. That was one sorted car.

20k worth of RRS components would probably have an our older falcons handling like an FG.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14 hours ago, gerg said:

it's an Eleanor look which has been done to death but a technical masterpiece all the same

i think if someone made panels to go over AU to Bsomething for XR/ XY  to whatever fits ?XF? then they'd be a winner if done properly.  

i'd much prefer something like this than a resurrected rusty shitbox .. if i  could afford it that is. 

I would say that in this nanny state country, you couldn't do that because of ADRs regarding bodywork would have to be satisfied (ie pedestrian protection, intrusion bars, crash testing, etc)

Australian government.... The killers of dreams

14 minutes ago, gerg said:

I would say that in this nanny state country, you couldn't do that because of ADRs regarding bodywork would have to be satisfied (ie pedestrian protection, intrusion bars, crash testing, etc)

ahh yeah, this kind of thing brings me back to the agument of  putting a 351 clevo in a 1992 XF ute .. NOOOO you can't do it. it will pollute the environment.. 
ok, can i fit it to an XE ute? SURE.. cool, bolts on 1992 XF ute everything..  what's the difference?

bolt AU running gear into a crusty old XY.. no probs, engineer approved.. no ABS, no air bags, etc..   

it's definitelty backwards thinking. 

2 hours ago, gerg said:

One of the reasons I got into trucks,  being commercial it was a given that they would change engine, transmissions, rear axles, cabs, sleepers, body styles and being acceptable with govco. Going to be fun when it comes time to register my 2 stroke diesel but it was an option back then.

guys just remember that the coupe had a different wheelbase to sedans so ?
As far as I know, coupe and sedan wheelbase are the same, floorpan included. Wagons, utes and Fairlanes used the next size up, and P6/P6 LTDs were a specially stretched version again.