Searley

HeadGasket Waterport Holes.

Hello Everyone.Twice I've Changed Headgaskets And Each Time I've Purchased The Kits One Chinese The Other "DURAPRO" I Noticed That The Gaskets Had The The Larger Cut-Outs For The Waterports Between The Head & Block But There Was'nt Any For Lots Of Smaller Waterports For Around The Cylinders And Some Smaller Circular Holes Were'nt There ie The Gasket Had No Holes For Them And Had I Fitted It Like That Those Waterports Would Have Been Sealed Off So I Would Imagine That The Head Would'nt Have Recieved Proper Even Cooling Maybe Resulting In Later Head Issues. I Had To Use Clean Circular Punches To Cut Out Clean Holes.It Does'nt Say Anything In Any Books/Mags Or Did The Bloke From The Engineering Shop Who Sold It To Me ay Anything.This Refers To Not A Multi-Layered Steel Gasket But The Standard Type. Can Anybody Enlighten Me The Humble Backyard Spanner Monkey Please,Thank You Searley.

Yeah they block off some of the smaller passages mate so don't worry about it although if your going through head gaskets you should change to a mls gasket as they are much better, should probably check the head hasn't warped either if you haven't already. Also what's up with the capitals on all your words, some strange spellcheck issue maybe?

Hi Mr. 351XD_Fairmont. I Just Think Its Strange That All The Waterport Holes In The Head Match Up To The Same Waterport Holes In The Block.I Don't Want The Head To Be Hot On One Side And Cooler On The Other. I'm Pretty New To Changeing Head Gaskets So I'm Not Trying To Re-Invent The Wheel.But Everything Being Made In China I Think Its Maybe A Cheap Version Oversight When All The Holes Are;nt There. The More I Hear & Read About Head Gaskets It Sounds Like MLS Is The Only Way To Go But They Have To Be Torqued Down More I Think. Anyway I Cut The Other Holes Out With A Clean Punch And Made Sure There's No Ridges Sticking Up. See What Happens. My Style Of Writeing Goes Back To When I Had A Important Serious Job That Payed Well And The Companies Appreciated That Style Of Writeing In The Paperwork Reports Thats All Now Its A Habit I Should Get Out Of. Thanks For The Reply Its Always Beneficial To Share Knowlrdge & Experience. You Know The Old Saying "The More You Learn The More You Realize What You Dont Know! Best Regards Searley.

I think you’ll find they are supposed to be blocked off, when you open up the holes the water will just find the path of least resistance.

the water is supposed to flow to the back of the block before it enters the head, where it then flows forward to the outlet ( thermostat) and in to the radiator for cooling .

by doing what you doing, the water will just flow through the block to the first opening to the head, before flowing back to the radiator for cooling, leaving the rear of the motor to run hot, causing the head casket to fail.

No worries Searley and as ESPSIX said above the holes are blocked of to promote even flow throughout so opening them up isn't a good idea. It should last until you can get a mls gasket(I bought the permaseal branded kit recently with no problems) and remember the head bolts are torque to yield items so can only be used once, after that it's straight in the bin with them so always get new bolts with your head gasket or alternatively you can get some arp head studs and reuse them as many times as you like and although their a bit more expensive they pay for themselves after your second gasket change. 

Hello All,Well I've Already Installed It & Torqued It Up So I'll Have To Keep A Close Eye On Things. What ESPSIX Makes Sense But Its Baffleing Why The Manufacturer Would Have Matching Port Holes From Block To Head But The Gasket Kit Only Half As Much.Yes Sirree Always Use New Bolts And Use The Old Ones For Homemade Mousetraps & Whatnot ARP Studs & Nuts Would Be The Choice But They're Pretty $Hefty For Someone On Newstart. Anyway Thanks Gentlemen I'll Keep You All Posted On What Happens!