Server maintenance Read more... ×
judgetread

XR-XF Falcon Coil Over Conversion kit

Considering there are double adjustable as well I think I read..
Much better than R(ip-off)RS... Man they know how to charge. Notice how their shit is hard to get a price on (ie: "call us"). One reason for that. They actually charge the yanks less than what we pay. Glad CRS is doing this really.

Sent from my CPH1607 using Tapatalk

Quick somebody buy the kit and write a review so we can all start saving up our tax returns, oh I mean car parts funds. But seriously the price doesn't seem that bad considering what rrs charges for theirs, and I know what you mean about them being hard to get a price from I had to ring them for a quote and it was ridiculous what they wanted for even the base model front set-up. 

I would like a kit like this, the RRS kits are very expensive. I made an enquiry about the manual rack and pinion steering and was shocked at the $2700 plus postage, maybe I was a little naive thinking it would be more around $1500.

I’d be interested in seeing this coilover kit used and what the thoughts are.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would like a kit like this, the RRS kits are very expensive. I made an enquiry about the manual rack and pinion steering and was shocked at the $2700 plus postage, maybe I was a little naive thinking it would be more around $1500.

I’d be interested in seeing this coilover kit used and what the thoughts are.

That's what they might have cost 10 years ago, but apparently inflation has been near 100% in that time (sure, right)

Anyway.... CRS don't do a rack as far as I can see on their site. Shame, because they would do it much cheaper and better.

That's what they might have cost 10 years ago, but apparently inflation has been near 100% in that time (sure, right)

Anyway.... CRS don't do a rack as far as I can see on their site. Shame, because they would do it much cheaper and better.

There isn’t much to the RRS steering kit to be honest, not sure where the expense comes from.

Maybe CRS will do a kit one day.

There isn’t much to the RRS steering kit to be honest, not sure where the expense comes from.

Maybe CRS will do a kit one day.

Yeah it's called "where else ya gonna go?" pricing policy.

It's basically an Opel Ascona or Senator rack design adapted to the falcon mounts. They used this because I believe the factory Opel rack itself was designed to fit an earlier steering box chassis.

McDonald bros sell a double adjustable bolt in coil over for under $1000. Well only just barely under and few years back but after doing a couple DC events and many street miles can reccomend them as a option.

Takes longer to remove the old shit than it does to install the new stuff. And setting em up is different to what most think. But each car is wanting its own set up as per driver style wants needs and use.

The Mc Donald's Brothers kits do look good. Pity that all these kits still seem to use the dumb caster arm setup. Would be good if one of the came with a bolt on option for a proper front joint. RRS do make an ok looking joint, but there isn't a lot of space to put it in.

The Mc Donald's Brothers kits do look good. Pity that all these kits still seem to use the dumb caster arm setup. Would be good if one of the came with a bolt on option for a proper front joint. RRS do make an ok looking joint, but there isn't a lot of space to put it in.
What aspects do you see as dumb in the standard castor arm setup? Does it allow too much deflection? Poor geometry? I know they're pretty reliable.

Sent from my CPH1903 using Tapatalk

Just the front bush. Allows change in geometry under braking and relies on flexing the rubber/mount for bump travel. Yes it is reliable and does it flex that much under braking, maybe not. But out of the entire arrangement it is more of an obvious area of improvement than most other things addressed by these kits and I wouldn't be spending big everywhere else and leaving it as is. It's just a matter of replacing it with a proper joint.

Just the front bush. Allows change in geometry under braking and relies on flexing the rubber/mount for bump travel. Yes it is reliable and does it flex that much under braking, maybe not. But out of the entire arrangement it is more of an obvious area of improvement than most other things addressed by these kits and I wouldn't be spending big everywhere else and leaving it as is. It's just a matter of replacing it with a proper joint.

I've seen the RRS one and it's basically a big ball joint in greasable nylon bushes. I've heard that going to this solid arrangement increases road noise by shitloads.

I get why the stock rubber donuts would be undesirable when everything else has been firmed up and made more precise. It might cause a bit of castor change under hard braking (particularly with brake upgrades) making the steering a bit squirmy.

My solution to that would be a compromise... Use poly bushes on the front and rubber on the back, so under brakes the arm is trying to pull backwards against the firmer poly bush but there is still some compliance provided by the softer rubber one in back.

Sent from my CPH1903 using Tapatalk

3 hours ago, gerg said:

I've seen the RRS one and it's basically a big ball joint in greasable nylon bushes. I've heard that going to this solid arrangement increases road noise by shitloads.

BGDAVs XE has the RRS one, you'd never hear noise over the engine/exhaust but it's not clunky like i thought it might be. depends what you are doing with the car.. (no point fitting all the expensive race gear if stock stuff in rubber does what you want, i've proven that stuff is fine for 50,000kms a year time over several years.)

Poly on the front half is an interesting idea. It still has to deform the poly in bump, but at least there is less poly to twist (fear of snapping the rod at the thread still puts me off somewhat). I think there are a number of options and I would have thought more companies building these kit would look at it (mind you, there are a number of US options).

On 5/15/2023 at 5:18 PM, BTS666 said:

Anyone actually used this from cars.?  I am planning on grabbing one for the fairmont. But would love a bit of real world feedback

I got the XYZ kit for an XD (only the fronts though), cost just shy of a grand at the time I think. They seemed good when I had them in but didn't want the hassle with getting engineering etc, took them out for RWC.

I got the XYZ kit for an XD (only the fronts though), cost just shy of a grand at the time I think. They seemed good when I had them in but didn't want the hassle with getting engineering etc, took them out for RWC.
Oh yeah. I'll try the crs tubular kit. Pricey, but looks trick. I got the rrs price list emailed and I can't see me shopping there.

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

Guess it depends what you're after, unless it's a track car I figured it wasn't worth the potential defects/roadworthy issues - it's a 40 year old Falcon and will always handle like a boat, it'll just be a boat with expensive coilovers 😂 Not sure it's worth the extra drama and money over just getting a good set of standard kit.