macman

Aussie Fords in NZ

Cheers guys, I'm really glad you lot have enjoyed the photos. You can recognise TRUE enthusiasts when there's enthusiasm for such a broad range of makes/models.

Anyone reading and heading to NZ you HAVE to get to the Bill Richardson collection at Transport World Invercargill. It's absolutely WORD CLASS and purpose built building. He's got one of the few COMPLETE collections of the Ford "letter" cars - Model C, F, N, R, T, K, R, A and B. Stunning line-up of American Ford convertible coupe's (1920's to 1950's) and almost everything is restored or preserved to museum quality. Also has hundreds of trucks and some of them from the 30's and 40's look like they were used for 10 years and just hidden away, period sign-writing etc all still intact and just worn enough to prove they're used and original. It's incredible. Obviously some concourse restored vehicles too, but the original ones got me. Then upstairs the collections of "Garagenalia" are mind blowing, all categorised into BP, Castrol, Golden Fleece etc, cans, pumps, tools, promo stuff. Never seen anything like it.

I was at the Bill Richardson’s in January, and yes very amazing, he has some very rare cars. One being a 34 Roadster with an extra seat and being 1 of 5 produced in the world.

ad6805ea8a363e0aed0b01f5971e189a.jpg

Then the first Ford produced vehicle, the quadracycle.
e86b20aa308ed41ed5f058e125001928.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm glad you got a photo of Henry Fords quadracycle. I missed it and only snapped a blurry pic through the cafe window before we left. Very cool piece of history.

That '34 was supposedly previously Errol Flynn's car. They were all pretty mint though, weren't they!

Supposedly Bill Richardson died before the museum was put together (by his daughter) so he never saw it in it's current incarnation. Bills son died very young also. Sad story, but what a memorial!

I actually got to visit and meet Bill Richardson in November 2004 before the museum was constructed and got a guided tour through his collection by Bill himself. His prized piece was the Texaco tanker which he said was worth more than a million back then. He passed away in March or May 2005.

I liked the theme of the toilets, one was all Lego and the other like a petrol station haha.

On 3/11/2019 at 3:38 PM, NZXD said:

I actually got to visit and meet Bill Richardson in November 2004 before the museum was constructed and got a guided tour through his collection by Bill himself. His prized piece was the Texaco tanker which he said was worth more than a million back then. He passed away in March or May 2005.

I liked the theme of the toilets, one was all Lego and the other like a petrol station haha.

That's amazing! What was he like? Seems like he would have had some stories to tell.

The Texaco tanker (massive streamline tanker truck) was pretty stunning, had it's own dedicated display area in there. The thing is unreal, the sort of thing you only see models of.

We made sure to visit all three toilets, she checked out the female ones and I checked out all the male ones. Betty boop theme, petrol station themed, big spanners or fuel bowser handpieces for door handles, one was lego themed with lego block sinks etc. One had a tool chest vanity unit (which looked great and would be do-able at home too).

That Texaco tanker I've only seen pictures of on the net but looks like a first class restoration. There was one similar style one only a Ford Golden Fleece semi tanker up Newcastle NSW way I snapped some pictures of at the Maitland truck show a couple of years ago. Not as streamline though. Must dig out the pics.

That's amazing! What was he like? Seems like he would have had some stories to tell.

The Texaco tanker (massive streamline tanker truck) was pretty stunning, had it's own dedicated display area in there. The thing is unreal, the sort of thing you only see models of.

We made sure to visit all three toilets, she checked out the female ones and I checked out all the male ones. Betty boop theme, petrol station themed, big spanners or fuel bowser handpieces for door handles, one was lego themed with lego block sinks etc. One had a tool chest vanity unit (which looked great and would be do-able at home too).

It was quite funny as we were I initially turned away with his daughter saying Bill wasn’t available, we left our phone number and then about an hour later he called us and we went back.
Back in 2004 Bill didn’t open his collection to the public, but through friends of friends we got in. Bill was great and explained so much of his collection and was very passionate about his trucks and petrol pumps.

The movie “Worlds Fastest Indian” was also being filmed in Invercargill at the time.