macman

Aussie Fords in NZ

Recently returned from an awesome 3-week trip around the South Island of NZ. Managed to get to a heap of different car museums - Christchurch, Geraldine, Wanaka and Invercargill. Transport World in Invercargill is the best I've ever seen.

Spotted this neat XG panelvan in Chaslands.

nIjcPSY.jpg

This XD at a fuel stop south of Dunedin. Stopped to say hi to this bloke, said about OzFalcon, hopefully he jumps on here one day.

W1ii79h.jpg

This XL in Geraldine's car museum.

voFwE46.jpg

ZC in Christchurch's car museum.

HaYWztB.jpg

Immaculate Cortina in Wanaka.

yiOTfSr.jpg

AU Fairlane, NA Fairlane and ZL Fairlanes also in Wanaka. These three were immaculate, and judging by the trim, very low KM cars.

xkuod8Z.jpg

b2L2vcW.jpg

Nice original XA GT in Invercargill Transport World.

EeHhFF7.jpg

Tough sounding XW/XY wagon one night cruising the town in Dunedin, snapped this pic from the hotel window haha.

RLHDlae.jpg

And for those interested, P76 in Geraldine.

6mCa91g.jpg

And another in Wanaka.

soRfoPT.jpg

Have about a thousand pics of other makes/models. If anyone's interested, I'll put up a link to an online album and I'll upload them. Some amazing cars preserved in NZ's museums.

is this green thing an isuzu bellet? post some more of the other brands. lots of cool things in there like the FJ40 in the back ground, 300zx, rovers, rangies etc

• soRfoPT.jpg

is this green thing an isuzu bellet? post some more of the other brands. lots of cool things in there like the FJ40 in the back ground, 300zx, rovers, rangies etc

• soRfoPT.jpg

The little green machine is an Austin Allegro, they use to be everywhere in the 80s/90s but like most cars of that era and rare these days.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

43 minutes ago, NZXD said:

What I’d like to compare is the build quality between Aussie and NZ XD-F.

like? do the door handles still break in NZ?

like? do the door handles still break in NZ?

Yeah for sure.

I’ve had heaps of cortinas and the XF and XD I have now and never broken one. I have way to open them so not to break them.

i set the hinges up and clean and oil the latches, adjust striker and never break a handle after that.. 
actually the last one i did break was due to the snipper button spring failing and door locking itself(looked unlocked) but that only popped the rivet on the handle anyway.

i've had a few wear the hinges on the handle out though(die cast part of the handle itself) 

i can't think of much else that is build quality specific other than rust prevention/design to get water out or prevent dust build up.. can't see that being different.

I always place my thumb on the top of the handle so that it makes the handle pivot rather than lift, it was shown to me many years ago by a Ford mechanic. Seems to work.

I was thinking about the differences in quality control regarding the figment of doors and panels, paint finishes...

I know I’m NZ they were very relaxed at where they stamped the chassis number. I’ve seen three various locations on an XD.

Nz build quality was rubbish, way worse than Aussie built ones.

That’s why Aussie built cars always fetched a bit of a premium.

Not sure how close nz production was to being ckd form but there’s certainly a big difference in quality.

Nz build quality was rubbish, way worse than Aussie built ones.

That’s why Aussie built cars always fetched a bit of a premium.

Not sure how close nz production was to being ckd form but there’s certainly a big difference in quality.

I do recall adverts of XD-F in the late 1980s stating “Australian Assembled” and how they were apparently a better vehicle.

That's correct, the little green car is an Austin Allegro.

There's a huge amount of cars I saw which I consider to be very unusual, but just goes to show what a mix of makes/models NZ received. Even modern/new cars which were generally recognisable, but with different (strange) names (Japanese models particularly).

If you're into different makes and models and something different, check out the rest of my pics - https://macman142photobook.blogspot.com/2019/03/february-2019.html but be warned there's over 1000 photos! There's some awesome 'everyday' cars from 1900's to 'modern' and most just original condition, not show cars, just honest cars (my fav).

so many cool machines in there!

what's this thing?

CE+202.jpg

how cool is this thing   @roKWiz

CE+050.jpg

thought this was an ALFASUD for a second. 
CE+203.jpg\\\

oohh! old F truck
CE+301.jpg

haven't seen a D series in ages either. 

CE+318.jpg

cool camper
CE+383.jpg

ZL fairlane tail light inspiration @SPArKy_Dave

CE+482.jpg

Hillman imp.. i'd have one with a motor bike engine please

CE+626.jpg

Riley Elf, i used to see one of these fairly often back 20yrs ago

CE+682.jpg

ooh, Alfasod is in there
CE+751.jpg

marina, seen one of these with a rover V8 once. 

CE+815.jpg

isuzu bellet, didn't see a gemini in the pics (vauxhaull chevette?)

CE+822.jpg

rambler Classic, My mate drove one of these for a few years, 287 V8 .. looked a bit like a Y block engine

CE+852.jpg

thought this was a GOGGOMOBILE for a sec(not the dart...)

CE+912.jpg

The nz market is a diverse because up until the late 80s/ early 90s it was a predominantly British car market.

Then the govt decided a practical way of bringing the average age of cars up was to allow imports pretty much free access.

Thus, we had the jdm invasion. It worked, the national fleet became more modern, more efficient, safer and cheaper to buy a quality car.

To this day I think it’s still one of the few times we can look back and say ‘yep, that was the right thing to do’

So in the space of maybe a decade we went from having the wide array of uk models with the odd Australian and American models to also getting whatever the hell we wanted from anywhere else.

We became somewhat of a dumping ground for Japanese exporters because at that time nz was one of the few countries that allowed such freedom with imports.

It went through the usual issues with odometer windbacks, dodgy repairs, flood damaged stock but by and large it was a great thing to happen.

I just wish we could go back and buy some of those awesome and obscure models you just never see anymore.

Even the more mainstream models are either unobtainable or priced insanely.

Mk5 Cortina sport

Mk3 cortina 2000e

Vauxhall chevette (2.3 cf Bedford motor almost bolts straight in...)

1275gt mini

Hillman hunter gt

Would be welcome in my garage now.

Jdm stuff the list is just way too long.

1989 the Jap imports started to flood the market. I was 9/10 years old and loved walking around and looking at the technology...most of the imports were late 79-84 stuff which had digital dashes, electric windows and luxury that exceeded most of our traditional cars.

Lots of turbos...Nissan skylines, Nissan Leopards, Exa, Sentra...Mitsubishi Cordia and mirage turbos...Toyota’s by the bucket load.

I’d love to go back and grab a few of these cool imports.

1989 the Jap imports started to flood the market. I was 9/10 years old and loved walking around and looking at the technology...most of the imports were late 79-84 stuff which had digital dashes, electric windows and luxury that exceeded most of our traditional cars.

Lots of turbos...Nissan skylines, Nissan Leopards, Exa, Sentra...Mitsubishi Cordia and mirage turbos...Toyota’s by the bucket load.

I’d love to go back and grab a few of these cool imports.

Kiwis got to experience much more diversity than we did. Imports were easier over there than our tarrif system would allow and also we had the Button Car Plan which gave us many different domestic models of the same shitty car to choose from. The Nissan Ute for fuck's sake Toyota Lexcen anyone?

Sent from my CPH1607 using Tapatalk

Cheers guys, I'm really glad you lot have enjoyed the photos. You can recognise TRUE enthusiasts when there's enthusiasm for such a broad range of makes/models.

Anyone reading and heading to NZ you HAVE to get to the Bill Richardson collection at Transport World Invercargill. It's absolutely WORD CLASS and purpose built building. He's got one of the few COMPLETE collections of the Ford "letter" cars - Model C, F, N, R, T, K, R, A and B. Stunning line-up of American Ford convertible coupe's (1920's to 1950's) and almost everything is restored or preserved to museum quality. Also has hundreds of trucks and some of them from the 30's and 40's look like they were used for 10 years and just hidden away, period sign-writing etc all still intact and just worn enough to prove they're used and original. It's incredible. Obviously some concourse restored vehicles too, but the original ones got me. Then upstairs the collections of "Garagenalia" are mind blowing, all categorised into BP, Castrol, Golden Fleece etc, cans, pumps, tools, promo stuff. Never seen anything like it.

On 3/10/2019 at 9:23 AM, gerg said:

My pick out of that lot would be the Citroén SM. Maserati V6, 5-speed, sound divine.

Sent from my CPH1607 using Tapatalk

The Citroen SM (and the DS) were probably two of my favourites too. The SM was spectacular and what an awesome vehicle. BIG dollar cars now to collectors and Citroen buffs.

On 3/9/2019 at 9:35 PM, deankdx said:

so many cool machines in there!

Really glad you enjoyed those photos, and you've picked out some really diverse ones in your quote. It was really super seeing so many "different" cars, which were once every-day vehicles. Lots of vehicles that were under appreciated, not really 'collected' as such but massively important (and familiar to people who had one once etc etc).

yeah you never see any of them on the road anymore.
a bloke i worked with had an alfasud TI about 10yrs ago, it eventually ran out of economically viable fixes(rust killed it in the end) he loved it and had a few over 10yr period. that was the last time i saw one on the road. (he went to a KE laser and thought it was better in almost every way other than the exhaust note of the boxer engine_)