Server maintenance Read more... ×
Splashv8

Rotor Button,Cap,Leads Plugs

I just finished replacing the spark plugs (used the Denso T16PR-U15) the Leads,Rotor button, and the cap

But when I fired Monica up, it sounds very rough then will rev to 2-3k by it self then almost conk out, but won't.

I was careful to number all the leads and mark the position on the Cap but Not sure where I have went wrong.

I didn't gap the plugs if that helps? where have I gone wrong?

46 minutes ago, bear351c said:

5 litre Windsor with EFI ....??

Yes mate for the Splash ute, Same motor as the XH Xr8 I think. I will hit it Tomoz after noon when I get off work. I think it's the Plug or the lead.

but she sounds a lot better. I couldn't believe the condition of the Rotor button, it looked worn out.

When you say "running rough", could you give a more accurate description? As in a cyclic miss like when one or 2 cylinders are out full time, or is it a random miss like a really lumpy cam?

The high idle sounds like either a vacuum leak or the computer compensating for whatever is making it run rough. The EEC V has lots of self-learning functions so if anything changes, it might do some strange things for a while because it may have been compensating for something before that it no longer has to. A good place to start is to remove battery terminals for 30 min, refit and then key-on engine off, full-throttle for 2 min and back to idle. I have read this myself in other forums and is supposed to reduce the amount of learn time required to get it running right.

Sent from my CPH1607 using Tapatalk

15 hours ago, SPArKy_Dave said:

Aftermarket Windsor distributor parts - cap/rotor etc, have caused me grief.
I would suggest to only use genuine Ford (import from USA, through ebay USA).

I agree, always best to spend that lil extra and get the quality stuff. I don't think the cap or rotor button  is OEM.

8 hours ago, gerg said:

When you say "running rough", could you give a more accurate description? As in a cyclic miss like when one or 2 cylinders are out full time, or is it a random miss like a really lumpy cam?

The high idle sounds like either a vacuum leak or the computer compensating for whatever is making it run rough. The EEC V has lots of self-learning functions so if anything changes, it might do some strange things for a while because it may have been compensating for something before that it no longer has to. A good place to start is to remove battery terminals for 30 min, refit and then key-on engine off, full-throttle for 2 min and back to idle. I have read this myself in other forums and is supposed to reduce the amount of learn time required to get it running right.

Yeah Gerg, I think you are right the ECU seems like its trying to re-adjust/learn and over compensate, its sounding more normal every time I turn it over. when it cools down outside I will disconnect the terminals like you said and start from scratch again. I also picked up Muzzas DTC device this avro, so I would like to run a diagnostic on it too, it may shed some light on the cylinder misfire.

Its more of a boom.boom boom. bup bup, noise I can here out of the muffler, deff a misfire, not like a cross leads/wires sound but more of a Deep lumpy Stage 3 cam, then it almost stall, then rev to 2-3k.

Its interesting you mention the Vacuum leak it was making a loud sucking noise last night when I kicked Monica over,I will also check the PCV. I will try and get some audio and video of it tonight its just too freakin hot out there right now to do anything.

This explains the sucking noise, check out the sneaky bugger. must of accidentally ripped it out while I was trying to

get to the spark plugs

https://imgur.com/21sE5k7

https://imgur.com/9e87kWu

PS I forgot to ask does anyone know the technical name of that hose that connects in there so I can order a new one?

Edited by Splashv8
Forgot to ask question

This explains the sucking noise, check out the sneaky bugger. must of accidentally ripped it out while I was trying to
get to the spark plugs

PS I forgot to ask does anyone know the technical name of that hose that connects in there so I can order a new one?
Oh bloody hell... That'll do it!

If it's specially molded, then sure order a new one. But if it makes no difference what shape it is, just get a metre of the same diameter and route it where you like. Where does that one go? Map sensor?

2 hours ago, Splashv8 said:

get to the spark plugs

Does it go to the Charcoal canister hard line, or the PCV?

I see it has a flared end.

Does this help?

Windsor intake vacuum lines.jpg

11 hours ago, SPArKy_Dave said:

Does it go to the Charcoal canister hard line, or the PCV?

I see it has a flared end.

Does this help?

Windsor intake vacuum lines.jpg

Thats a negative dave, Looks like number 23 on that Diagram? what do you guys say? Heres a pic of the connection, it runs all the way behind the Airbox Filter and disappears into the Abyss. Also yes it does have a clip on it thats hard to see in that pic,I will get the Long nose pliers out and remove it.

https://imgur.com/pQVKuwZ

Man I tried to download Tapatalk but its confusing, Can we lift the Max size of the Photos so I don't have to keep emailing them to myself then using Imgur?

Good call on the length of Hose Gert, I will run Down to the Hardware shop and see if I can pick it up.

Edited by Splashv8
Called Gerg Gert lol

Never owned a 5.0 so can only use logic and say that it's most likely 23, but it has two of them opposite each other.... why it has the same part listed on both sides of the plenum is beyond me. Maybe one is blanked and the other used depending on which way the manifold is installed (IE Mustang or Explorer, etc).

That bit you're holding is definitely flared out on one end like Dave said, maybe you'll need to get that diameter hose and shove another smaller one up its bum to reduce it down to whatever it needs to be at the other end.

Never owned a 5.0 so can only use logic and say that it's most likely 23, but it has two of them opposite each other.... why it has the same part listed on both sides of the plenum is beyond me. Maybe one is blanked and the other used depending on which way the manifold is installed (IE Mustang or Explorer, etc).

That bit you're holding is definitely flared out on one end like Dave said, maybe you'll need to get that diameter hose and shove another smaller one up its bum to reduce it down to whatever it needs to be at the other end.

been a long time since my 5.0 was stock but from memory you have vacuum to, brake booster, heater, charcoal canister, egr valve, fuel pressure reg, pcv, ed and earlier have vacuum to the cruise control and EB also has a vacuum source for the map sensor (ford dropped the map sensor and only have a maf from ed on)

56 minutes ago, Thom said:

that is charcoal canister, you would definitely have a bad vacuum leak if that's split

Ok, My apologies then dave. I was lucky the hardware store had an almost Identical 16mm rubber tube, So 

I will undo that clip and replace it. 

21 hours ago, gerg said:

Yeah and make sure it's that colour too... Very important

If you look very careful you can see the words "Motorcraft" in small print on the inside of the tube. I believe they are a very limited edition used by Ford and where only available in Hot gay Pink or  Sassy Fluro Yellow.