NZXD

Single rail issues

Single rails do have a bit of a whine to them. I like it. It's not unpleasant or intrusive, just a reassuring note to remind you of what gear you're in. The gears have less helical angle than a T5, which is what causes the noise. This makes the box stronger due to less end thrust.

Re: shifter tightness. Check the spring tension on the detent ball. Overly tight can cause too much required effort, especially in the back/forth direction.

Single rails do have a bit of a whine to them. I like it. It's not unpleasant or intrusive, just a reassuring note to remind you of what gear you're in. The gears have less helical angle than a T5, which is what causes the noise. This makes the box stronger due to less end thrust.

Re: shifter tightness. Check the spring tension on the detent ball. Overly tight can cause too much required effort, especially in the back/forth direction.

The slight whine is no issue, reminds me of my old cortina’s.

It is the back and forth motion that is difficult. How would you go about adjusting the spring?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It is the back and forth motion that is difficult. How would you go about adjusting the spring?

I can't remember exactly where it lives, possibly passenger side front of case (too long since playing with them)

I remember trying to de-slop my Cortina one and went a bit too tight with the shimming so it's easy to do.

How you would loosen it up... I suppose get a shorter or lower tension spring, take a smidge off the spring that's in there, or loosen the keeper bolt out till you get the right tension, note the gap under the bolt head and shim out with washers to suit.

Sent from my CPH1607 using Tapatalk

I can't remember exactly where it lives, possibly passenger side front of case (too long since playing with them)

I remember trying to de-slop my Cortina one and went a bit too tight with the shimming so it's easy to do.

How you would loosen it up... I suppose get a shorter or lower tension spring, take a smidge off the spring that's in there, or loosen the keeper bolt out till you get the right tension, note the gap under the bolt head and shim out with washers to suit.

Thanks.
When you say loosen the keeper bolt...you mean the large shifter nut?

Thanks.

When you say loosen the keeper bolt...you mean the large shifter nut?

Nah up on the passenger side of the main case, just behind the top bolt to the bellhousing, there's a bolt sticking out sideways. I believe this has the spring and plunger/ball behind it. I can go outside and look at the old shitter sitting on the floor in the garage if you like.

Whatever you do, don't undo the one further back (the one on slight upward angle). That's the reverse idler pivot. If you drop that off inside the box, you'll be pulling the box out and fishing it out through the top.

Nah up on the passenger side of the main case, just behind the top bolt to the bellhousing, there's a bolt sticking out sideways. I believe this has the spring and plunger/ball behind it. I can go outside and look at the old shitter sitting on the floor in the garage if you like. 
Whatever you do, don't undo the one further back (the one on slight upward angle). That's the reverse idler pivot. If you drop that off inside the box, you'll be pulling the box out and fishing it out through the top.

Thanks, ill go out and have a good look.

Yep confirmed. 9/16" spanner, remove bolt and there's a springy thing inside.

9746d719747c2523078c554c2beebc7e.jpg

Found exactly what you are talking about, I think I’ll shim it with a few washers as you have advised, bit of trial and error.

I took the bolt out which was completely wound in tight, took the spring out to check. Actually moved the shifter around with spring out and still felt stiff.

Took for a drive after shimming the bolt out 1/8 inch, marginally better but 3rd is still a pig either way.

I think the box will have to come out as it’s got a slight weep at the front seal after the oil change.

The shifter doesn’t self centre but that’s probably an old worn box for ya.

Over all it is better but when it’s out I’ll take the top cover off to see what’s what.

Went out for a real good drive to get some heat in the oil in the box, as yesterday it was a short drive.

Went through town, lots of stop start driving and 1-2 is mint, exactly how I want it.

2-3 is better than before, still a bit stiff but goes into gear with the grinding.

3-4 is 100% better, just slips in.

4-3 is way better and so on.

Still not like a 5 spd Japanese box but hell it never will be.

Thanks for all the advice and help with the single rail.

If it's still a bit stiff going 2-3, that's similar to the T5 problem I have. Since going 4-3 isn't as bad, it could be a shift interlock issue. It's a bit hard to check this with the cover off as it relies on it being on to stay in the correct position (held by the slot). Maybe you could check this for burrs or wear and tear that could be causing it to baulk when moving across the gates.

If it's still a bit stiff going 2-3, that's similar to the T5 problem I have. Since going 4-3 isn't as bad, it could be a shift interlock issue. It's a bit hard to check this with the cover off as it relies on it being on to stay in the correct position (held by the slot). Maybe you could check this for burrs or wear and tear that could be causing it to baulk when moving across the gates.

I will look at taking the box out over the next few weeks to repair the leak at the front.

I’ll have a good look inside and see what’s what.