Server maintenance Read more... ×
Hawksam67

Fuel Issues

Gday good folks

I disconnected my battery and took it out so I could take the bottom radiator hose off to do a coolant change and replace the hose. Ever since i put it back on the van backfires through the airbox and at 80km/hr dies then takes off alot.

I have checked the map sensor as per instructions on here 

also replaced inline fuel filter which was dirty.

I have new plugs, leads, dizzy cap and rotor button on it.

What else should i look at?

my au did something similar the other week  and then stopped an refused to start. lovely 200+ks from home. local rac attended and after all usual checks decided to change the crank angle sensor and it run. so 5 days on it is still going. maybe same problem, not sure how you check it but I am sure someone hear will enlighten us.  cheers demmo

Update 

I replaced the O2 Sensor was the original one still in it

Replaced the coil.

Had a mechanic friend come over and pull out the distributor and place it back in its correct location approximately 1 tooth out. Runs a lot better now, but I will need a new harmonic balancer as the old one is wobbly and we cannot get the timing perfect.

So on the last weekend I had to replace the fuel pump as the pressure was poor, found out due to the cars previous history of 9 years sitting the wiring in the fuel pump in the tank had disintegrated to a point the wires were almost bare and once i replaced the pump and wires it now runs well.

I still have starting issues on cold mornings though.

people think storing a car for years is a good thing (#barnfind) i won't be buying one again unless I planned it to be a full resto.. fuel system, brake system, cooling system , hoses and belts etc all cactus if not prepped for it.. even tyres that might have been ok are usually stuffed from sitting in one spot.(plus being old)

Yeah I'm still having trouble starting on cold days. Battery is good but needs a jump to fire. Will start straight away with temperatures over 10 degrees.Got to get the old gas wiring removed as I have removed all the mechanical parts of the system. Starter motor will be next to replace. Not much left it will almost be a new van after that 😂