Server maintenance Read more... ×
Madog41

Change ba 6 to v8 351

Yep, agreed.  Will probably fit, but, don't think Mr Plod will let you run it.

Late model engines in early cars is ok, because the emissions are better. But, old dinosaur in a new body, they don't like the idea. Not to mention the 350kg weight hanging over the front of the BA might cause a few steering issues..... :)

Mr plod will not know that the engine has been changed I'm not telling

Ashould 302  be lighter and it'll fit probably if it better than the 351 but if I want to be stupid and go all out the fucken 460 in it 

I'm not sure if you're serious but anyway. You could most likely fit the biggest fuel guzzling lump of cast iron you can find under the bonnet considering they had the physically massive 5.4 dohc from factory. The real question is why would you? Can you afford to do it? If you can then why would you start with a BA and not an earlier model which can legally run an old school V8 and be way cooler? Is it worth the fine if you get caught? Your car would also be uninsurable. You could just buy a BA XR8 or 5.4 3V, put on an exhaust and CAI, have it flash tuned and probably make more power than the tired boat anchor you put in there. It would go ok, sound good and would be legal.

Sent from my SM-G610Y using Tapatalk

i thought the best part of the BA was the engine?

clevo is a gutless lump unless worked, and you still need a decent gearbox if you are going to thrash it.. i'd go LS engine if so with a 6 speed, probably bolt in pretty easy.. still be EFI though.. be legal also if done right.... could buy a commodore with one already fitted cheaper though, and stick a ford badge on.. not many kept the holden badge anyway, whats the difference?

9 hours ago, Madog41 said:

Mr plod will not know that the engine has been changed I'm not telling

Ashould 302  be lighter and it'll fit probably if it better than the 351 but if I want to be stupid and go all out the fucken 460 in it 

Yeah I would definitely start with the 460 no good stuffing around its obvious you need some real power.

Put a stroker kit in the 460 try to get close to 600 cubes with over boring and stroking.

Then top it of with a good super charger.

If you still need more power go methanol should be good for over 1000hp.

Looking forward to seeing the build.

38 minutes ago, Carshamus said:

460 no good stuffing around its obvious you need some real power.

could paint it yellow and call it the ANGRY TAXI, You TALKIN to ME! 

In theory, running a 351 etc on straight LPG gets you around most of the emissions regs because it's as good or cleaner than the petrol engine you replaced BUT most states have the rule about engine being same/newer than the car, can't be older unless the exact same engine series. As far as I know off the top of my head there's no legal work around for that especially in cars built after 95 when most of the ADR were updated.

Having said that, if you don't tell and nothing happens to allow them to find out.. Did it really happen. (And no, I'm not condoning or advocating this approach)

A few years back bloke I know ripped the 6cyl out his jag installed a 454 chev with some goodies.

Left it registered as a 6cyl cheaper rego didnt bother with a mod plate.

Went tear assing around town doing donuts an the usual stuff.

Next thing he gets a letter from the motor transport mob to take his car in for a pit inspection.

He was a little concerned but decided to wing it.

So in he goes with the car the guys do a brake test and had a general look around the car.

Never even noticed a 454 under the bonnet!

Still registered as a 6cyl far as I know.

He was a smug bastard after getting away with that.

On 2/13/2019 at 3:00 AM, Madog41 said:

302 and 351 Clevo are the same (externally).??

460 is nice.  Big lump of a thing, might not fit without cutting shock towers, etc...  But, 10:1 compression and a lazy 400HP sounds good.

302 and 351 Clevo are the same (externally).??

460 is nice.  Big lump of a thing, might not fit without cutting shock towers, etc...  But, 10:1 compression and a lazy 400HP sounds good.
There should definitely be enough room between the shock towers in a ba, they had to clear the heads on the 5.4 boss engines, and those mofos are wider than a 426 hemi