Server maintenance Read more... ×
PapouGhia

Ford Xf Fairmont Ghia (Papou) - Rebuild/Help

Sorry to bug ya guys again. Look I’m in a hassle I’ve spoken to crow cams and they said the Crow Cam 14221 isn’t comparable for efi motors but everyone else is saying there the best to go with efi motor. If anyone can link me the best cam I can go with through crow would be appreciated as I’m going to buy following parts through them aswell! Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

17 minutes ago, PapouGhia said:

Sorry to bug ya guys again. Look I’m in a hassle I’ve spoken to crow cams and they said the Crow Cam 14221 isn’t comparable for efi motors but everyone else is saying there the best to go with efi motor. If anyone can link me the best cam I can go with through crow would be appreciated as I’m going to buy following parts through them aswell! Cheers

@ando76 may be the one to know,  about standard EFI system running a different cam

i'm not "everyone else" when it comes to the EFi, i've seen how even a standard cam with a worn lobe caused the XF Efi to be a royal pain to run right.

As soon as I get an answer of what you guys thing I should get in the efi I’m not going to order one, you guys have more knowledge than the Facebook warriors. I’m just after improved efi cam instead of putting another stock one back in, if you have any links ect would be much appreciated :)

The standard efi brain box can't cope with much at all. Unless it's a stock rebuild for authenticity, I'd go with an aftermarket computer and loom if your chasing any sort of performance or even just reliability out of the car. Everything on them is just so old and antiquated it's very hard to keep them running nicely in standard form, let alone with a bump stick. 

A good aftermarket computer like a haltec haltec can be had for very little dollars in reality. It will give you endless tuning options, the after sales support is tremendous and with all modern sensors the old girl will purr. 

The next best compromise would be an e series computer graft in and chip. 

The reality is the cam they list for efi compatability would give very little  improvement over a FRESH stock engine. 

Hi mate, I'd recommend a nice mild street cam for most applications, something about 205 to 215 duration @.050" and 450 to 500 lift. I had a similar part in my Cleveland and it was a hoot, very linear and nice to drive. Something like the 14776 or 14892 from Crow Cams. Descriptions tend to go something like "Great midrange performance, suit mild street engine," with and rpm range about 1500 to 4500 or so.

If you're after something to work with stock EFI you're going to be limited. The duration, lobe centres and overlap tend to want to stay the same, you can increase lift a bit but will be limited by the other parameters. The 14221 does indeed looks to fit most of the criteria as its on the same 109 deg lobe sep angle and has very similar overall durations (270 vs 260), with only mildly extended duration @.050 (205 vs 197), whilst lift is improved nicely (470+ vs 439).

If you're dead set on retaining everything original the EFI will limit you, consider an EFI box... or even going back to a good aftermarket carby.

- boingk

The standard efi brain box can't cope with much at all. Unless it's a stock rebuild for authenticity, I'd go with an aftermarket computer and loom if your chasing any sort of performance or even just reliability out of the car. Everything on them is just so old and antiquated it's very hard to keep them running nicely in standard form, let alone with a bump stick. 

A good aftermarket computer like a haltec haltec can be had for very little dollars in reality. It will give you endless tuning options, the after sales support is tremendous and with all modern sensors the old girl will purr. 

The next best compromise would be an e series computer graft in and chip. 

The reality is the cam they list for efi compatability would give very little  improvement over a FRESH stock engine. 

Yea a lot of people have told me with running the stock computer I can’t do much, my best option right now would be just go a stock cam as I’m trying to keep the car as original as possible. Haven’t found any listings for anything efi capability, cheers for the input appreciate it.

So the last question, should I just run a stock replacement cam, as there isn’t anything else that is going to work, I don’t want to have to stuff around to much, the motor isn’t getting thrashed just thought if I do it once to do it properly, but I’m going to keep the car original! So can’t swap computers!

26 minutes ago, PapouGhia said:

but I’m going to keep the car original! So can’t swap computers!

when new the XF EFI was quick. (for it's time)
unless you are planning to thrash it, leave it stock. be cheaper and easier to fault find.

that's My advise,  if you get a bigger cam, the lower revs will lose some torque, so then you need a diff ratio change, and then it becomes less of a cruise comfort driver.. the stock cams love the 2.77 diff gears

Right now the car is a t5 manual with 3.9 spool diff in it. I came across the diff for a bargain so I swapped it in but eventually want to go back to a lsd around the 3 mark or less, I’ll start sourcing a replacement cam then, anyone do kits for them with the stock cam, timing chain stem seals,springs rocker arms, pushrods ect just a basic kit, cheers all for the help appreciate it!

fac142c7c12aaf1061fa9a2415d89947.jpg

Crow cams quote $1250

Portland’s quote
3b80046b4024e36696c6aa61206bdb44.jpg

Does look the same besides springs being different, anyone go anywhere else I could shop around? Don’t have many contacts cheers

fac142c7c12aaf1061fa9a2415d89947.jpg

Crow cams quote $1250

Portland’s quote
3b80046b4024e36696c6aa61206bdb44.jpg

Does look the same besides springs being different, anyone go anywhere else I could shop around? Don’t have many contacts cheers

For some of the smaller components, Precision International is often great value. Deliver to your door as well.

Sent from my CPH1903 using Tapatalk

For some of the smaller components, Precision International is often great value. Deliver to your door as well.

Do you think I should be searching for the individual parts then going all out and going off there quote? Crow cams have charged a lot extra for items I can find cheaper here and there.

Do you think I should be searching for the individual parts then going all out and going off there quote? Crow cams have charged a lot extra for items I can find cheaper here and there.

I've found that Precision is pretty much a one-stop shop. That way, you (hopefully) pay minimal freight.

Plus 1 for precision. They are doing a lot more direct selling now and they have good stuff at close to trade prices. 

Shop around and buy the components individually and you will save plenty. That camtech cam will work nice. Make sure you order the efi gasket set.  Even tho it's a stock rebuild, id put a rollmaster double row chain in it.  Precision sell JP gear sets and I'm not a fan. Ebay has rollmaster units at good pricing. 

6 hours ago, PapouGhia said:

Right now the car is a t5 manual with 3.9 spool diff in it. I came across the diff for a bargain so I swapped it in but eventually want to go back to a lsd around the 3 mark or less, I’ll start sourcing a replacement cam then, anyone do kits for them with the stock cam, timing chain stem seals,springs rocker arms, pushrods ect just a basic kit, cheers all for the help appreciate it!

with a stock cam and 3.9 diff you'll be starting off in 3rd gear, this will NOT suit a stock small revving engine combo at all(mine was crap with 3.23 ratio and T5 with small cam)

if i had a 3.9 diff i'd want an engine combo that revved to 6000 happily. 

so here's the choice in my opinion.. fit aftermarket EFI computer, or a carby manifold and go big on the cam and engine work.. 
or keep it stock with 2.92 or 2.77 diff gears .

@CHESTNUTXE had unsuitable gears recently on his ute.
@ando76 what would you suggest with 3.9 diff gears? do you agree they need big revs to be useful/enjoyable

Alright so I’ve added it up, a lot cheaper ordering online... matched the price up with the quotes everything is a lot cheaper even from the same company’s.... here’s what I’m going to order besides (cam I’m getting from camtech and lifters another place ht900) does this look like it’ll do the job? Cheers all for the help appreciate it! 23f6de68e01e6a724521ae7c8d05a776.jpg36374971b44dd6b11bce80504d044afe.jpg