Server maintenance Read more... ×
PapouGhia

Ford Xf Fairmont Ghia (Papou) - Rebuild/Help

Today’s progress was great. There is afew photos of went on today. Quiet happy with the outcome. Had 2 great guys come out and cut weld up my rust sections. Boot seal,mudflap,corner 1\4 as they found abit on the end also. They went the extra mile when repairing the inner guard then rust converting it to 110% make sure no rust comes back! To me the job looks well don’t and they did there best so the painter wouldn’t have to use as much filler when time for paint! Next step to try and get my painter to come out and inspect,or if falls through search for a new painter. Slowly getting there day by day.

fafa2296cabf5ef4990030d8db05d5c0.jpga78ce321ecc12e5b942853284eba7680.jpg6539f4d543c010486cddf4725c3b4d31.jpg526078dfc6ba67935e6f5d1e0d5c895f.jpg898d38c82cacb67eec8b3e46f2b85aa8.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The guard is looking really good. Should need minimal filler by the looks of it

Sent from my CPH1607 using Tapatalk

Thanks mate, trying my best to get the car to a great body with as little “bog + fillers” as I’ve seen afew x series where they have a great paint job but you can see where they have rust few years down the track.

While I’m sourcing someone to paint the car I might aswell start getting a list of items for the engine rebuild. Does anyone have a list of essentials? I’m only going to put a mild cam in so nothing major is happening.
Also can anyone help me out with a coin/storage compartment thingy? I’m located in Melbourne. Cheers.

Cheers! 7f1cc6af28b29175f25ae33cb7747d2a.jpg

did they have a coin thingy in the ghia console? looks like where electric seat switches would be on an LTD 

It’s a xf ghia, when I brought the car the guy had cut out the coin thingy and fitted a cb radio in there but I’ve removed it now stuck without it.

9 minutes ago, PapouGhia said:

It’s a xf ghia, when I brought the car the guy had cut out the coin thingy and fitted a cb radio in there but I’ve removed it now stuck without it.

ah yep, i hadn't used it as a coin tray since My car was broken into in the city about 25yrs ago.. had about 2.75 in silver in it for parking meters.. 

9tEvfia.jpg

ah yep, i hadn't used it as a coin tray since My car was broken into in the city about 25yrs ago.. had about 2.75 in silver in it for parking meters.. 

9tEvfia.jpg

Ahh yea I see. Hmm now I gotta try source the little coin thingy from a wreckers or somewhere hopefully be easy to find

probably isn't one.. i haven't seen anyone keep the factory ecu etc if they did. otherwise you'd be going back in time so far you might need to search on xfalcon.com that site is still going, but not much happens there anymore.

if you aren't doing head work, then a cam and valve springs and raising the compression would be the MILD? build.. (with extractors and 2.5" exhaust)

Hahaha that’s mad chuck us some photos if you like! The dizzy gear you need for aftermarket cams in crossflow is the Crow DG2.

I’m running a Crow 14892 which is 214@0.05” and .510” lift on a 112 lobe

You in Sydney area by any chance ?

Nice. Is this on the stock XF ECU? Auto or manual?

Finally the car is stripped down and going to the panel and painters my mate gave me a hand Be back in month or so. Anyone has any good parts or know where to get, Rubber sets,power window repairs,bush kits,xf efi engine loom not been butchered,badges. Just the essentials mainly so I can gather parts, I’m located in Melbourne. Cheers all IMG_6376.jpg

Hi all, I’m after the following parts of you would be able to help me out with it

-Engine Bay wiring loom/Cut Xf Fairmont ghia Efi premium sound. (If that matters)
-Center console coin tray (Tan)
-EFI Badges
-Ford Boot Badge
- Birdsfoot/Velour door cards Fairmont Ghia

-Basically if you have any good clean parts please send me a message/post also a place to refurbish the outside door moulds.
-How to disassemble and reassemble the power window motors/arms and what I need to repair them very very slow.
-Where can I get door rubbers that’s don’t cost an arm and leg?

Car is still at the beaters/painters hopefully back within a month!
Appreciate the help

Hi all, best way to polish up chromes around door windows? Going blackish, also after if anyone has door cards like these? After rear as seen in photo,
Complete rubber kit, best place to buy? Starting to come to brininging it home from painters will keep you updated!

1e65f57360093410ae5fcc1bbcc2915c.jpg

My advice, is to use repro parts sparingly.

Refurb and re-use as much of your original parts as possible, as they have a superior fit.

You can't polish up the chrome mouldings, as they're actually clear anodised polished aluminium.
To fix it, you have to chemically strip off the anodising, then re-polish, then re-anodise, and then mask/paint the blackouts.

Rare Spares are the only ones doing repro window belt moulding seals to my knowledge.
Definitely replace those seals if your original's are old and hard,

as they will start scratching the glass, when you wind the windows up/down.

Sweet awesome I’ll keep a look out. Also what’s the going rate for a freshen up on my motor? Nothing major just a small/mild cam and freshen up, anyone have someone that would like to take on the job? Also best cam for a efi motor without changing ecu/ratios and stuff, can’t find a part number for one that isn’t stock and will work with a stock setup efi. Cheers.

49 minutes ago, PapouGhia said:

Sweet awesome I’ll keep a look out. Also what’s the going rate for a freshen up on my motor? Nothing major just a small/mild cam and freshen up, anyone have someone that would like to take on the job? Also best cam for a efi motor without changing ecu/ratios and stuff, can’t find a part number for one that isn’t stock and will work with a stock setup efi. Cheers. 

crow cams had a listing for the efi cam that was slightly improved, they go plenty good as is when running right. 
in My experience you won't get change from $4000 if reconditioning any engine(doing belts and hoses, and changing engine mounts and cables and everything else in between) 
if the engine is running right, leave it.. if not, i'd be diagnosing that first.. the Efi was common to wipe cam lobes, and if so, just get a new timing chain, cam and lifters fitted and see what it's like.. 

you'll struggle to find people willing to work on old cars these days, the issues are usually not able to source parts, or rusted bolts blowing the time budget out far and beyond. also the quote argument where people say WHOA! i could buy another car for that.. 

these cars are one of the easiest to work on, you would have to consider doing a lot of the work yourself(saves a mechanic breaking something also, which i've had PLENTY of times)

Awesome, thanks for the input mate really appreciate it! I’ve been searching the core cam website but can’t come across efi 250 cam or timing chain ect, if you had some spare time could you please link me to the items that would go best with the freshen up? Not wanting something overboard just to freshen it up! I’ll keep in mind with the rubbers also might just buy the kit from rare spares they won’t top dollar though

i'd just email crow cams, here's the cam list.  https://www.crowcams.com.au/Portals/0/Catalogue/Index%20PDF's/Ford%206%20Cylinder%20Crossflow%20and%20Pre%20Crossflow.pdf

i haven't rebuilt one in over 10yrs, and i farmed a lot of the work out .  and chose the wrong combo of parts, but mine was straight gas anyway so got away with a mild cam(i should have gone bigger)

if i had an EFi car keeping all the stock gear, i'd use a standard cam, because they are very fussy these engines using the stock air flow meter etc.

i drove one once that only had a 2.5" exhaust, cold air intake and extractors and it made 107rwkw on the dyno mine made 99rwkw on LPG, might not sound much but they make bucket loads of torque and the 2.77 diff and long gears suit this combo. 

if you don't want the thing owing too much when finished, keep the engine relatively stock, you'll have headaches if you modify it much.

On ‎2‎/‎9‎/‎2019 at 6:12 PM, matt_lamb_160 said:

Camtech do a 201 deg at 50thou cam that will work (CT142 509). Will be a strong cam with standard 2.77 or 2.92 gears, especially at highway speed. Probably aim at 9.5:1 compression and use good fuel. I always pick Camtech over Crow, but that is just me.