Server maintenance Read more... ×
PapouGhia

Ford Xf Fairmont Ghia (Papou) - Rebuild/Help

Guys another off top question, not sure if I should keep in this post. I should have named it XF Papou Build 😂 okay I’m in the progress of stripping down the car. It’s going in for a “ open door respray “ engine bay door jams and outside of car. I have removed front rear bumper. Engine and gearbox is out. Ac lines+Power steering lines. But there is still a mess of wiring in the bay.basically all hanging down in the middle. Door cards are off. Do I need to remove glass or can I keep it in? I’m removing the booster tomorrow out of the bay. Easier for the front and rear bumpers to be on or off the car? I’m doing a much as I possibly can myself. I have all storage containers and ziplock bags labelled with all parts removed in there keepimg

it as organised as possible. Any tips would be appreciated! Cheers 

door glass, not sure if it's in the gregorys book, but you can remove door glass (the big ones) out in 5 mins each if the door trims are off. 

the 1/4 windows can be pretty hard to remove in the rear doors, not that hard. but depends on who's doing the job

Got the brake booster and master cylinder removed today from the bay! Gheez then 3x 14mm bolts where a pain to get to! Cleaning up the grime I the engine bay as it looks to have had a rough touch up job and the paint is falking off and going purple aswell 😂 what’s the best way to address this? Don’t mind doing abit of the prep to make it easier for the painter. Wet and dry sandpaper? What grit? I’ll be leaving the brake lines still in bay just taping them up. What’s the best way if I was to upload photos/videos so I can attach for you guys? Cheers

if you've got a few hours to skip through this series, Peter Anderson (has lots of videos on car resto) has just gone through probably everything you are thinking of with a sigma.

part 1 below, he's upto part 7 and the thing is almost a bare shell now.

Anyone in Melbourne south east area do mobile rust repair? Front boot seal and mudflap area! 

I too need mobile rust repair in South East Melbourne. But in front of wheel arch.
Let me know how you go.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hi all! Anyone got any info/videos of the prep of an engine bay and what to use to sand down corrosion and paint peeling? Also ways to fill a few unused holes! I’ve heard wet and dry. Just don’t know what grit to start and finish with! Cheers! (This is best photo I have atm of the bay,see how’s its bumpy and flakey paint) IMG_5737.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How the engine bay sits now. Just got wet and dry 360 grit 150 grit and 80 grit. And a can of etch primer if I go through to metal. Hopefully tomorrow I may get a start on it. b64a1e92e85fae3e9fb2db9ff50aec23.jpgb64a1e92e85fae3e9fb2db9ff50aec23.jpg

you'll have to go back to metal near the battery area i suspect. 

you'll have to go searching for painting tips, they've been covered in detail in many threads recently

you'll have to go back to metal near the battery area i suspect. 
you'll have to go searching for painting tips, they've been covered in detail in many threads recently

I have watched the whole sigma build series already that guy is awesome and does a great job not just a “backyarder” job! Awesome bloke!

Hi all today picked up the rust repair pieces from Resto Country Spares in Moorabbin. Have got the boot channel (full length) also the rear lower quarter. Hopefully tomorrow they (should) be welded in depending if my rust guy can come out. He’s just having trouble coming down as he can’t fit his welder in his car, but he’s a good bloke and seen some of his work aswell. 59ddebcf798264b3f59d707d3438b4bb.jpg884366bc56d9350d62b8df047c0a3b99.jpg7b47d7f5eb2288e1b3cd4ab7ac2c6aeb.jpg

Just a tip,  use as little of the rust repair panel as you can. The more of the patch you use, the harder it is to get lined up. They are reproduction panels, not New Old Stock (NOS).

Cheers mate I get what you mean there not an exact fit still need slight modifying!

almost identical 1/4 panel rust to what My red XE ghia had. (i fibreglassed it, because no welder) 

Awesome.any difficulty with lining it up? Looks quiet accurate but it’s abit different at the bottom section.

Boot channel is done. Been cut out and spot welded,grinded back! Now onto the mudflap outer and inner panel! Awesome two blokes that came out!

d40f610592033e2c69c2f7f9dcc450eb.jpg199eda2e6d242543341f35a6f4aa7a24.jpg33d934ed722578845b1e85995c9f706c.jpg