Server maintenance Read more... ×
CHESTNUTXE

300 USA 6CYL

Yep, bore 93.6mm, stroke 99.3mm

Most engines made from the 1960s onwards can't take more than a 0.040" bore. Some exceptions exist (Holden 6, earlier Windsors, etc) but even at that, boring a 202 red motor out by 0.080" only takes it to 208 cubes. So boring for extra displacement is not worth bothering with.

Sent from my CPH1607 using Tapatalk

You have to over bore and sleeve to suit then grout the block up to the welsh plugs at least. 

But again still limited by head gasket to around 3.82 from memory unless you go custom copper maybe. Moving the bore away from the valve is good move for power and cyl head flow aswell so a move to a 3.9 or 4.0 slug would be awesome in a xflow. 

Possible??? Well just asking the question makes it doable imo. No better way to dis prove peoples doubts than doing it.

But 3.9 & 4.0Lt is smaller bore 3.62"??

I've alway's liked the big bore idea that did the rounds years ago, re sleeve, grout, 350Z piston, 200 rod. I was told a local speedway bloke did build one.

I have considered it for my cortina build,

9 hours ago, FORD_MAN said:

But 3.9 & 4.0Lt is smaller bore 3.62"??

I've alway's liked the big bore idea that did the rounds years ago, re sleeve, grout, 350Z piston, 200 rod. I was told a local speedway bloke did build one.

I have considered it for my cortina build,

3.9" or 4.0" ( " = inches ) not a ohc piston. 

You would need a 3.9 bore to even get close to the 285 cubes used to win the aspo 6 title at this years nats. 

The pure expense of this bottom end is beyond the dreams of most people.  Custom slugs, head gasket. Bore and sleeve etc etc. your taking serious coin. Most x flow people arc up at the price of a basic head service. 

But hey hey if you have the coin and it's what you want to do, why not. 

Im with gerg tho - why doesn't someone do a decent cylinder head for the big 300 cuber. Now that would own a lot of engines getting around. 

For anyone interested in more on the 300 cube engines, type in Elisons Machine Shop into Facebook; he’s doing a pull down on an insane aspo one

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9 minutes ago, CHESTNUTXE said:

does anyone actually have a 300 engine ? or where would you start to look in australia ?

I have a bell housing for the "big block" ford 6 as used in the 60s

Dont have the engine though its sitting back in LA.

1 hour ago, Mixalis said:

For anyone interested in more on the 300 cube engines, type in Elisons Machine Shop into Facebook; he’s doing a pull down on an insane aspo one

i cant find it on FB, maybe try again

2 hours ago, CHESTNUTXE said:

does anyone actually have a 300 engine ? or where would you start to look in australia ?

Did these come in f100’s

Yeah i found that but couldn't find the 300 cuba

Ah ok what you want to do is click on his videos, they should be the most recent ones from memory; one has a few million views that’s part 1(the title is radical engine build or something) then part 2 is after it

The videos are quite long

Did these come in f100’s
Mostly F-trucks yeah, but some passenger models got the 240 I think.

As far as I know, locally assembled F-trucks got our 250 (and the V8s of course), but not the 240/300.

1 hour ago, Mixalis said:

Ah ok what you want to do is click on his videos, they should be the most recent ones from memory; one has a few million views that’s part 1(the title is radical engine build or something) then part 2 is after it

The videos are quite long

Yup i found it cheers

i just watched those 300 videos on you tube of the engine with 6 4v closed chamber clevo heads cut down to suit the 300 very good to watch this and that guy has real passion in his job.

18 hours ago, gerg said:

Mostly F-trucks yeah, but some passenger models got the 240 I think.

As far as I know, locally assembled F-trucks got our 250 (and the V8s of course), but not the 240/300.

👍

I think that the easier way is to build a 1FZ-FE. 275ci (and kits to take them to 311ci), 4 valves per cylinder, alloy head, 100mm bore, good ignition setup and ok parts availability  (although $$$).
And they take boost and love it... They're the big block JZ