Server maintenance Read more... ×
Panko

Bonnet hinge threads

31 minutes ago, Panko said:

Hi Guys, 

I stripped a thread inside the bonnet where the hinges bolt up.

Has anyone else been through this? and how did you fix it? 

HELP  :( 

BGDAV stripped one, i think by putting the wrong bolt in(they seem to be an odd thread)
we just tapped it out to a bigger metric thread(no one would notice it, because who'd  look at bonnet bolts sparkydave)

but if you were dead set on the factory bolt like sparky dave, you could probably buy or borrow a helicoil kit for it

19 minutes ago, hendrixhc said:

Do these have those speed nut things?

think it's a BLOCK of steel with 2 threads tapped in it

4 minutes ago, SPArKy_Dave said:

:o

Apart from some sort of thread repair,

you'd have to de-skin the bonnet, to fit a new thread block?

are you crazy?

1 minute ago, hendrixhc said:

Tek Screws? Cable ties?

i drilled a hole next to the bolt hole on My XE ute back in the day and tek screwed it .. was 2yrs fine, with a different bolt UGGA DUGGA'D in the stripped thread because back in those days, i didn't have a tap set(i still don't but i know who does now) 

15 hours ago, 2redrovers said:

Simple solution, tap a new thread slightly larger than the original and replace with new bolts

Yep, this.....^ ^ ^ ^

And to keep the purists OCD in check, do all 4.

They'll never pick it.!

11 minutes ago, bear351c said:

Yep, this.....^ ^ ^ ^

And to keep the purists OCD in check, do all 4.

They'll never pick it.!

the heads on the bolts are very specific, even i'd notice(if i looked) 

the heads on the bolts are very specific, even i'd notice(if i looked) 

Which ones are they? If its just the bastard star washers that chew up your paint, change the bolts to modern door bolts and use the washers, should fool most. It's funny how if a whole set of something is changed out but looks consistent, the brain usually tells you it's right even if it's not quite.

4 minutes ago, 2redrovers said:

Which ones are they? If its just the bastard star washers that chew up your paint, change the bolts to modern door bolts and use the washers, should fool most. It's funny how if a whole set of something is changed out but looks consistent, the brain usually tells you it's right even if it's not quite.

no star washer. 
they look like an XD to XH? bonnet bolt .. don't recall seeing them anywhere else 

all sorted guys. 

tapped the thread out to 3/8th UNC. but also had to drill the elongated hole in the hinge slightly larger to take the larger bolt. 

Ive only done the one so far, so yes it looks out of place, however i bought 4 3/8th bolts so i can do all the others if i want to in the future. 

On 30/01/2019 at 1:26 PM, 2redrovers said:

It's funny how if a whole set of something is changed out but looks consistent, the brain usually tells you it's right even if it's not quite.

Heard a rumour that a Nascar team, once built a whole car but about 1/8th scale smaller all over....... interesting theory. 

Heard a rumour that a Nascar team, once built a whole car but about 1/8th scale smaller all over....... interesting theory. 
Smokey yunic, he had some very creative solutions for bending the rules

Clarifying.. 1/8th inch smaller? Which i assume was the tollerance allowed with in the rules for wings and body parts, so why not make the whole car exactly 1/8th in smaller... Still legal officer... Just sayin..

Clarifying.. 1/8th inch smaller? Which i assume was the tollerance allowed with in the rules for wings and body parts, so why not make the whole car exactly 1/8th in smaller... Still legal officer... Just sayin..
While the car wasn't actually 7/8th scale some of the things it had done to it were pure genius and probably more interesting

http://www.dailysportscar.com/2016/01/24/the-infamous-and-incredible-1967-smokey-yunick-chevrolet-chevelle.html

And another article, for some back story Doc Hudson in the Pixar movie cars is based on the Hudson's campaigned by smokey in the early 50s this article has a great story at the end of it about smokeys circumventing the rules with one of those cars

https://www.hotrod.com/articles/ctrp-0801-smokey-yunick/

I like his way of thinking.. If they didn't say i can't then it's fair game. I love the bit about the extra fuel tanks, that's both genius and scary given its nascar (nah, they never crash into solid objects.. What's a wall anyway?)

I read the second one too.. A long read but worth it. A funny and interesting glimpse of the fun and games that went on. Thanks for posting them up Thom.
Cheers Thom.  Smokey was a unique character, for sure. 
This thread went on a bit of a tangent

This thread went on a bit of a tangent

Maybe it was the tangential application of the thread that initially caused the problem, in which case, proceeding on a tangent other than the aforementioned original would in fact be a beneficial course of action in order to align said thread with it's intended point of reference.
Yes? 🤔🤓

When the bodyworks place painted the bonnet on my wagon they managed to damage the thread for one of the bolts.
They just tapped it out to a bigger size and put a new bolt in it (which doesn't match the others )
Ive never managed to damage one.