Figured while i am playing with mowers and whipper snipper brush cutter things lately, and pretty much anything with a small engine(generator, stationary engine etc)

i'd begin this thread

i'll start with some interesting "issues" photos, and post up anything interesting here. 
there are some good channels on youtube if you are having issues with your mower, if you can fix a falcon, you can probably fix a mower also. 

why won't My mower start?  blocked air filter..
6LEniTB.jpg

why won't my mower start? it did last year..(stale fuel clogged up needle and seat, jet or float

h67EOS6.jpg

i fitted new blades, what's that noise.. oh... there's different length ones and these are too long?
b1PBMF0.jpg

i parked it under a tree, it will be fine 

6znb2Tq.jpg

this is on a GMC(bunnings brand) fuel hose is stuffed, its a moulded hose with bigger fuel tank outlet than carby fitting, i bodged it to test..works fine, lets see if i can get a new hose?

PHoBjPe.jpg

My mower revs too high.. might be due to grass holding the governor flap open

chzw5eN.jpg

i tipped My mower on its side, now it smokes.. muffler full of oil, should burn out eventually..

JZSD6UG.jpg

i can't adjust the height on the mower, it's only been in the rain for years..
sfigPrQ.jpg

mower won't start... when did you replace the spark plug last? what's a spark plug?

usObdgZ.jpg

starting to see a lot of whipper snippers at the tip without fuel tanks.. this could be why

8TPzFAH.jpg

wet grass left under... no worries?
7UgW6vs.jpg

there i fixed it?
LLT0kRU.jpg

yeah it's quite rusty
lFgs0dL.jpg

mowers in the rain are fine?
jGn27uV.jpg

AUKBb8y.jpg

D4CivXr.jpg

10 minutes ago, 2redrovers said:

Umm ...how many mowers do you have and should we be organising an intervention??

i think i've got more than 15.. 

most are viable to repair and resell. it's currently the only thing making money for Me. and all started with the free one i got with the gemini diesel engine/trans pick up.

I was tempted to buy one down your way, to flip, but can't afford to spend the money or time getting it. will send you a link

Well, I can not ad much to mowers and whipper snippers as I don't have any grass to cut due to the heat here in the North East, my mower spends 8 months of the year in the shed but I did pick up this nice ($400) diesel generator a few weeks ago.

Seems they have a reputation of leaking fuel when standing and sure enough the guy who sold it to me didn't know how to fix it. He bought it new ($1600) only weeks previous and was fed up with it leaking so got quite the bargain.

The leaky seal around the injector nozzle and a crap feed pipe was all that was wrong and powers up nicely without any diesel left underneath now.

I bought it to power some of my shed equipment as I'm not connected to the grid at my place but it will also share some powering needs on my truck as a secondary to the little 1100w petrol genset. The little one can not run a diamond saw I occasionally require for slab granite.

Here's the beast when I acquired it and the little one (the white box) on the Trader.

80-20161021_124502_0372826a07b35b26a494e

80-diesel_genset_3bfec7041764e2f800ac322

80-rokwiz_with_2_ton_9ebab78ed25e38cb078

Well its pouring rain in Townsville has been for a few days now.

When it eventually stops the mowing will start but the whipper is broken.

No fuel going to the carby its a Mc cullogh with the fuel bulb type carby.

Probably those little flap things gone LoL

Ebay kit?

2 hours ago, Carshamus said:

Ebay kit?

if you haven't used it in ages, check if the fuel line in the tank has fallen off or blocked screen filter. 
I've not yet got to the snippers, well i have, but haven't FIXED one yet, i changed the hoses, primer and filter screen on one, but the diaphrams are unhappy i suspect. i swapped carby with one from a working snipper and it still didn't run, so that annoyed me.. (next step was to fit the non working carby on the known working snipper and see if it is the carby?)

new whole carby on ebay is $13 ish, ($10 for the stihl one, go figure?) i need one of the special screw drivers to adjust the high speed mixture on one here(unless i get the dremel and cut a screw driver slot in one? )

post up your findings, but if it was Me i'd order a whole carby i think, because there seems many types of diaphrams and the flappy reed valve things. 
i searched ZAMA (brand on My carby,) and quite a few differing ones are there. 

just having a scroll through my imgur pics, and came across a couple from when i used to buy snippers from the local tip shop and fix and sell. 

if you ever have one that spits fuel out the carby.. it could have a mud wasp plug in the exhaust.. (haven't got a pic of that)
same symptoms if someone has made a new exhaust gasket.. and forgot to cut it out...

meIOVHO.jpg

another i had was due to probably too much oil in the fuel mix?  clogged screen in the muffler

UHEtE4R.jpg

found a few more recent issues..

cracking blades, these can go through the side of the deck and through your leg if you are lucky

ohXRQlq.jpg

don't mow over plastic unless you like fixing things.. 

this rooted the equivalent of a rear main seal.

can also see the side area there where blade went through the side 

fBRIljO.jpg

3 hours ago, Ando81 said:

That’s a great tip to make people aware to check their cutting disc and blades mate, that could be very nasty if the whole lot parted company with the engine emoji15.png

i've got another here that is pitted with rust that's probably lost 30% of it's thickness, i'll take a pic of later. 

also got a GMC(bunnings brand) that has the blades worn down to dangerous levels.. i fired it up and cut a bit of the lawn here and thought, hmm surely they work better than this.. it looks pretty new so was surprised how far they are worn(suspect they aren't made of good quality steel like the good brands)

VXExY5p.jpg

also found a fix for the muffler that bolts on..

qdHoGTT.jpg?1

Sgx1It0.jpg

Did someone say mowers? I love tinkering with small engines! Here is my little wonder edger, pope rotary mower, my 3 scott bonnars- 45, diplomat 430 & 590. The scottys lay down some nice stripes!
What I dont have photos of are my husqvarna ride on, husqvarna push mower, masport push mower and supra swift mower.
d738c1ba158373ad96d42772c31b8f24.jpg42211c7a245a00e01af3917431af972a.jpg5c151116249bce4c973676b14213fc53.jpgaae3bb4a308f825c54ba1597d022a280.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, Valvebouncer said:

The scottys lay down some nice stripes!

i don't get the stripes, probably because it would force me to go in a straight path.. 

i was given a scott bonnar utility for parts (base has alloy broken in a few places) and it didn't start.. 

i cant remember what i did to it to make it start, did a comp test changed the spark plug, and prodded the choke flap a few times to test it worked only from memory. 

has 60psi compression(which is good, i have a quantum with 30psi that still runs, i

may investigate further..) 

this one smokes better than a smoke machine..  i cleaned the breather and it stopped smoking for a while(just removed and swished it in petrol) and refitted. 

i'll have a play with swapping with another soon. . i have a motor identical on a masport that runs crap(thinking it's coil) that i'll probably just swap from one to the other to test. 

when i first started this mower it puked oil out the muffler about 2 meters wide.. hence the special box i invented for "first starts" from now on. 

so it's possibly been on it's side at some point.. or even upside down.

i don't get the stripes, probably because it would force me to go in a straight path.. 

i was given a scott bonnar utility for parts (base has alloy broken in a few places) and it didn't start.. 
i cant remember what i did to it to make it start, did a comp test changed the spark plug, and prodded the choke flap a few times to test it worked only from memory. 
has 60psi compression(which is good, i have a quantum with 30psi that still runs, i
may investigate further..) 

this one smokes better than a smoke machine..  i cleaned the breather and it stopped smoking for a while(just removed and swished it in petrol) and refitted. 
i'll have a play with swapping with another soon. . i have a motor identical on a masport that runs crap(thinking it's coil) that i'll probably just swap from one to the other to test. 

when i first started this mower it puked oil out the muffler about 2 meters wide.. hence the special box i invented for "first starts" from now on. 
so it's possibly been on it's side at some point.. or even upside down.

Because stripes are cool! The massively heavy rear roller flattens the grass after its cut making the stripe.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

On 1/29/2019 at 1:44 PM, Carshamus said:

Ebay kit?

Turns out it was the fuel hose that was the problem.

It had cracked right where it passes though the rubber

grommet on the fuel tank. Damn that hose is pricy

how can a 4mm by 250mm bit of hose be worth $6?

Should buy a big roll an cut it up make a fortune!

1 hour ago, Carshamus said:

how can a 4mm by 250mm bit of hose be worth $6?

Should buy a big roll an cut it up make a fortune

yeah i bought a foot(30cm) for $5 from the mower joint, said it was made in USA  unlike the garbage on ebay that i still bought experiments(no point testing a rubbish tip shop snipper with expensive hose if it doesn't end up viable. ) 

if it's good hose, it should last a long while. 

i just bought a carby WITH special screw driver link here https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/5-5x5-5cm-Carburetor-For-Ryobi-Homelite-ZAMA-C1U-H60-C1U-H60E-308054013/222641460986?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649 

because the carby kit from the mower shop is dearer and i have another snipper here that needs the high speed mixture adjusted(how long will it take to arrive is the big question?)

5 hours ago, Carshamus said:

Those carbys are cheap as chips wonder what the quality is like?

i have at least 3 snippers here with the same type.. none work.. one i went to set the choke lever and it broke.. so... i'm guessing not great.

the local mower shop bloke said he's fixed hundreds of the ryobi type carbys with a carby kit $18?  only 2 of them didn't work.. said they have tiny screen filters inside the carby that can block up also

got some more "what the" pics..  will have more soon,  mowers seem to get no respect considering the danger

not really a what the? but, this is a briggs 3.5 with different carb and top cover.. i'll take a pic of it back together and compare to the original. 

HSudwgP.jpg

how people put up with shit for so long when you could buy 4 bolts.. but electrical tape.. fixes all ?

YNuBxKa.jpg

another filter clogged

XCuniRd.jpg

few more examples of:

CHECK YOUR BLADES AND BLADE DISC BEFORE IT COMES OUT AS A DEATH WHEEL

IF YOUR MOWER VIBRATES.. MIGHT BE MISSING A BLADE, CHECK.. AND REPLACE THEM IF SO

m9zObJJ.jpg

DjSAnAI.jpg?1

xIB50jM.jpg

7C4CzZ9.jpg?1

YW8hIqb.jpg

1 minute ago, deankdx said:

bit far, but if local i'd get them..  can't lose at that price. 

https://goo.gl/maps/TqfAWJqaTru

Could have loaded a semi trailer up with mowers and whipper snippers after the floods.

Just about every house threw them out claimed on insurance and nothing really wrong with them.

Street after street of mowers LoL