Server maintenance Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
Grimmy

Long style clutch

Sooo has anyone ever used a 'long style' or 3finger clutch before ??? 

I keep exploding regular diaphragm style clutches with my xflow lol 

by exploding I mean breaking / tearing the torque straps out of them . 

My train of thought was that the 3finger units don't have torque straps so can't break them ! 

Can get them in 10.5" Windsor units which are the same as 4.0l so should bolt up ok . 

I have also acquired a toploader to put behind the xflow , no more pussy footing around hoping not to destroy the single rail = need for a good clutch hahaha 

I had a long style on my 302 and it developed a squeak under power. Turned out that the housing had started to crack and tear away from one of the finger pivots, and I don't drop skids or anything silly like that.

Sent from my CPH1607 using Tapatalk

Don't know anything about long style clutches sorry but have you looked at any multi plate clutches, the ones I've seen are a bit expensive but seem to be good. Also with the toploader check out renegate shifter's sequential shifter, I'm definitely going to be getting one for mine(eventually), it eliminates the problems caused by the standard linkages and makes gear shifts and spirited driving much more enjoyable 

Greg - cracking at the pivot don't sound too reassuring. That would have been an 11" unit too , I would have assumed it would be stronger 

351xd - are you talking twin plate like the gt's came with or multi plate tilton type things ? 

The gt style ones still have the tq straps on them like a normal diaphragm clutch  . For the shifter i have an old school beefy master gasket v-gate to smash the gears with haha 

Greg - cracking at the pivot don't sound too reassuring. That would have been an 11" unit too , I would have assumed it would be stronger 

Actually I pinched it from the XB, so was only a 6-cyl/302 unit. I think it was a 10-inch or something.

Diaphragm 11" has been much more pleasant to use, probably overkill on a 302.

I did an upgrade in my EA from the old 3-bolt style to a 6-bolt (required flywheel mods) and that was a very good clutch. I think ED and later utes had them, say XH or something.

Sent from my CPH1607 using Tapatalk