Server maintenance Read more... ×
Carshamus

XF T5 Question

Guys I have found a cheap XF T5 looks like some other gear with it also.

Are these the same as EB T5s in physical dimensions?

Not concerned about gearing just want this box for a spare to replace the EB box in my mustang if I ever blow it.

Cheers

the box is almost same, i think the later EB had the world class T5 with better bearings
My brother ran one in his EB for years. if it's in good nick it will be fine if not thrashed , might need to do something with the gearbox mount, not 100% sure if they are a direct fit, but should be simple to fix as My brother isnt the best engineer

as Chestnut said, the bell housings are rare, always were, same for the cross member. 

Ok thanks for that I really like the EB box in the mustang from memory used a castlemaine rod shop bell housing.

Designed a remote reservoir clutch system to make it all work along with a cross member.

I will pass on it then but if anyone wants a XF manual conversion this is a complete setup minus the clutch cable

going cheap.

Just now, deankdx said:

the box is almost same, i think the later EB had the world class T5 with better bearings
My brother ran one in his EB for years. if it's in good nick it will be fine if not thrashed , might need to do something with the gearbox mount, not 100% sure if they are a direct fit, but should be simple to fix as My brother isnt the best engineer

as Chestnut said, the bell housings are rare, always were, same for the cross member. 

Bell housing is with the box far as I know but would be useless to me anyway.

Yeah the shaft length is different I have the 6cyl box in the mustang because the shifter comes up through the original

hole in the tunnel. Just had to do a slight clearance. But those gearboxes fit in the yank stangs very easily.

i did a t5 conversion not long ago on a 351c xe  used a new cmrs bell plus all new bits n pieces ,xg ute box,all worked well but expensive .by the time you buy a flywheel,pedal box ,clutch and all the other gear you could have bought a top loader.

1 minute ago, CHESTNUTXE said:

i did a t5 conversion not long ago on a 351c xe  used a new cmrs bell plus all new bits n pieces ,xg ute box,all worked well but expensive .by the time you buy a flywheel,pedal box ,clutch and all the other gear you could have bought a top loader.

When I done it on the mustang it had the 3sp toploader so just needed to get the bell housing and hydraulic clutch think it ran me about $800.

Then the engineers report but I "saved" all the modification up got it all done in one hit so not sure on the cost.

1 minute ago, Carshamus said:

Its about 20 minutes drive from my place in Townsville.

Really the gearbox is the part that interested me but if its weaker then the EB I dont want to put it behind a 393W

depending what year your EB box is, it may be the same as it. the later EB through to EL were world class boxes and all bolt straight in. 

EB series 1 and prior had a weaker input shaft bearing.. i killed a couple behind crossflow 6s. were probably half wornout already though.

I thought they were all WC from XF onwards, identified by the dimple in the countershaft bearing cup. Non WC are just a smooth welch plug. My EA box has this dimple.

Sent from my CPH1607 using Tapatalk

7 hours ago, gerg said:

I thought they were all WC from XF onwards, identified by the dimple in the countershaft bearing cup. Non WC are just a smooth welch plug. My EA box has this dimple.

not from what i read, the 2 i blew up were pre EB and the one that survived was later and copped a hiding.. no idea on kms though prior to me owning them

not from what i read, the 2 i blew up were pre EB and the one that survived was later and copped a hiding.. no idea on kms though prior to me owning them
I have the factory EA manual, and the description, pictures and components confirm that they were WC. Here are the differences:

The manual shows fibre-lined steel syncros, another feature of WC boxes. Non-WC had brass.

The manual also shows tapered countershaft bearings. Non-WC had pain ball bearings with thrust washers.

WC had needle rollers on all mainshaft gears. Non-WC had bronze bushes.

I have seen listings for EA and XF T5s as having the same ratios (3.47 first), so it would be pretty safe to assume that XFs were WC too.

In the States, these same ratios were used by V6 Camaros and Firebirds, which were also WC.
another rumor is that the later xf utes 86 onwards had the option of the t5 with 3.25 first gear and sedans got the 3.50 ratio.
I'd have thought the opposite would make more sense; deeper 1st on the car that will be carrying more load. Oh well, they did some weird stuff.

did the WC box have syncro on reverse and the others not.. if this is the case, the 2 pre EB ones i broke didn't have syncro on reverse.

The manual makes no reference to any reverse syncro. I've only ever seen the sliding selective type reverse, that pulls an idler gear into mesh with the 1/2 shift hub which is externally toothed. I can't picture what a syncro would look like on that type of gear selection.

T56s have syncro reverse, inside the the extension housing next to the overdrive gears. T5s have reverse inside the case, shifted with a relay pivot shared with 5th.

Another pointer to all Falcon T5s being WC is the fact that there is never any mention of either type, meaning that there's no need to make the differentiation between them if they are all WC.

Correction: 1st gear isn't 3.47 as I stated. It's 3.50