SPArKy_Dave

SINGLE RAIL GEARBOX INFO

also the gear stick position of the AU T5 is further back from what i was told.. need to verify that. but just another potential pain in the ass
Gearshift is 30mm further back on an au box

Just a heads-up for anyone still running these old beasts, a bloke on an XD-XF Facebook parts group is flogging his shifter pivot kit, turns it into a short-shift and eliminates the nylon thread issue.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/327674820912673/permalink/1337253159954829/?sale_post_id=1337253159954829

Dunno if you need to be a member to view though.

Sent from my CPH1920 using Tapatalk

Hi Does anyone know what a single rail 74 BA-7003-AA, 0503 014. I have researched the codes on this thread and have not found a mention of the 74 BA, all 74 codes seem to start with 74DA, not BA so i am wondering if this is a significant change.

Putting that aside there is no mention here of what a 0503-014 is out of

Thanks

Steve

Engine Box rear.jpg

Hi all

New on here so here goes, hope I'm not going over something already covered.

I'm doing a resto on a 79 302 XD S Pack that some fool has converted from 4 Speed to auto. As I understand it I need a 0503 009 single rail what I am not sure of is the  casting numbers i.e. 7? DA-7003-AA . Does the number after the 7 equate to the year of the car and should the AA mean that model as well. I have a couple of gearboxes lined up but aren't pulling the trigger until I'm sure.

Great info on here

Cheers in advance 

Britto

The first set of numbers is the Ford part, but that one doesn't make sense. Normally the US part number is letter-number-letter-letter, then specific part number, normally 4 digits, then 2 letters for design variation. The Aussie part numbers used to be the US one with AR (Australian Revision) added to it, then they came up with their own that had 2 digit year, then DA (Design Australia). Yours doesn't have the year before it. The 7003 is likely part number.

The second set of numbers is the Borg Warner one, 0503 is for the single rail box, 009 is the variant (ratios, shifter and rail config). That variant, which with a Google search came up with OzFalcon as one of the first shows as a 3.06 first gear, meaning it's a medium ratio fitted to 302s and some 250s (depending on application, year model, etc). The wide ratio has 3.48 first, the close ratio (fitted to 351s) has 2.46.

http://www.ozfalcon.com.au/index.php?/topic/7952-single-rail-gearbox-info/

Sorry just re-read your post and realised the 7? Is the 2-digit year code, you were just eluding to a hypothetical year. Say it was 75DA, it doesn't mean the part was necessarily made then, it means the year that the part was first introduced. So if a part continued to be fitted unchanged many years later, it would still carry the original year that it was first installed.

Thanks mate, so I would be safe with say  a 74DA-7003-AA ?
If it fits in the hole and is the right ratio, can't go wrong... I don't think anyone cares about it being the right box for originality reasons. Most folks who care about matching numbers are only concerned with engine and chassis matching.