Travis

Engine numbers

http://www.fomoco.com.au/id.html

J = Australia

G = Broadmeadows

34 = Fairmont sedan

R = 1975

L = May

You can pull the sump off to look at the crank. "302" means just that. 4M or 4MA means 351.

Another way is to measure stroke with a piece of straight wire down the spark plug hole. 3" is 302, 3.5" is 351.

Yet another way (a bit hit and miss) is to look at the casting lumps on the end of each head where they meet the block. If there are two machined "tangs" visible, its a 302 (ie: closed chamber 2V). If it only has one tang, it's open chamber (351 2V)

http://www.aus-ford-uk.co.uk/html/engines2.html

If you take the inlet manifold off, there are numbers underneath the head that you can also go off.

The engine number matches the chassis. The only other way to tell without doing what I mentioned above is to look at the build plate. That has the engine code,which on a 302 is "Y". 351 is "K".

Sent from my CPH1607 using Tapatalk

http://www.fomoco.com.au/id.html
J = Australia
G = Broadmeadows
34 = Fairmont sedan
R = 1975
L = May

You can pull the sump off to look at the crank. "302" means just that. 4M or 4MA means 351.

Another way is to measure stroke with a piece of straight wire down the spark plug hole. 3" is 302, 3.5" is 351.

Yet another way (a bit hit and miss) is to look at the casting lumps on the end of each head where they meet the block. If there are two machined "tangs" visible, its a 302 (ie: closed chamber 2V). If it only has one tang, it's open chamber (351 2V)

http://www.aus-ford-uk.co.uk/html/engines2.html

If you take the inlet manifold off, there are numbers underneath the head that you can also go off.

Thanks mate

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Exactly the same month and year as my XB.

Gerg's on the money...... (guru) 

It's a month after my coupe JG65RE (April) and under the steering column, there's a date stamped "Apr 21 75", which is a year to the exact day before my birthday.... Freaky Friday!

The engine in my XE is a JG41YU which is out of a 1981 XD ute

In xc  era there was a 4 cast into many 302c heads which too young players means 4v heads ,but no its just a casting mark many have been fooled into thinking they have a 4v head engine,even on e bay yeasterday i saw a add with this,to us its plain as day they are just plain 2v closed chamber heads.

i couldnt find any thing on tangs
This is the best pic they had (most aren't good at all) of a closed chamber head. Note the 2 machined "tangs", or 3 cast dimples that separate them. The open chamber head only has one "tang" and 2 dimples. ba2bac09c3e2acc54bee115e9f3752b7.jpg

In xc  era there was a 4 cast into many 302c heads which too young players means 4v heads ,but no its just a casting mark many have been fooled into thinking they have a 4v head engine,even on e bay yeasterday i saw a add with this,to us its plain as day they are just plain 2v closed chamber heads.
They probably used some of the 4v patterns where there were little to no differences in the casting. Replacing worn out masters is very expensive so they cut costs by using whatever molds they had left.

Same goes for XC bonnets. Notice by the time the XC came out, many of the lower models seemed to have the GT/GS fluted scoops? That bonnet skin would have had its own die set so they probably eased the wear and tear on the non-fluted bonnet dies by punching out the scooped ones and flogging them off on as many cars as possible, and get the most out of them before the model was finished.

yeah correct heaps of xc had that fluted bonnet,even if ya bought a xb fairmont v8 302 it never got the fluted bonnet and looks wimpy,but add the gs pack and its a showstopper