Sign in to follow this  
Demmo

xh/el instrument cluster surround removal

hi    being a male !!!!!!!!!!   I thought it would be simple to remove the dash surround so I can remove the instrument cluster to replace the blown  globes.

I only found 4 screws the top comes free but  across the bottom  seems still fixed in place    now I have looked but I can not find anymore screws or clips so before I loose it can someone tell me where what to look for  I am at the point to let the gremlins have it   an ….k it go to the pub    cause I am beat and I dreading the answer that a five year old could fix it       lol

if its like XFs and XGs?

there's 2 under the fuse/hand brake cover one roughly above the ign barrel i never put back in, and one on the left side of the column i also never put back in. .. this could be where they are. 
i'd be guessing though, @Thom is the only one that May know, Mark seems to not have notifications set anymore for tagging. 

yes you are correct with xf xg  but xh  I can only find 2 screws  on top  and 2 midway under light switch an opposite side  but across the base is all smooth   it feels that its attached directly below and inline with the top screws but I cannot feel or see any attachment points

the 9 kg gimpy has crossed my mind to make it unattached   I rang the local wrecker an he has no wrecks of that vintage they have all gone to scrap so I guess I will wait for someone to post answer  it will be simple and I will be in the dog house lol

googled..
hidden screws?(old fordmods archived post... assume that site is gone now?)

The dash is a peice o piss to get out of the xh, first remove the grey screw covers at the top of the cluster and remove the screws under them, you may need a right angled screw driver or something, next remove the two screws under the dash (just under the demister switch) one on the right is in the exact same place. 
Then you have to remove the fuse panel cover, thats just the 4 big black plastic screw type things, then there is two more screwsunder the dash, then remove the facia! 
then just take out the 4 screws holding the instrument cluster in disconnect the wiring harness and presto! 

thanks mate I will have another look just wondering if they are the screws that are holding the small wire harness below the speedo unit even though they don't appear to be near the cover guess I will be brave an remove one to see what happens  then  cheers demmo

so my claim to fame is I shouldn't play with cars   period.   I undone the clips that held the wire harness and the two missing screws (not mine the cars)were there behind the wiring harness for the electric trailer brakes.  so know I have replaced the dash panel which works  and removed the wire and hardware for trailer brakes and some switch gear. now i can get my fat hand up under the dash ya!.  thanks 4 your help dean 

cheers demmo:rolleyes: