Daf

XD door handles

Hi guys,

Looking for some info.  The drivers door handle finally broke (after 2 yrs of ownership I think I got it pretty good).  So I went out to Rare Spares and bought a new one hoping for a quick fix and then I would repair the old one and keep it for spares.

However they are different.  See pics: original on top and new one on bottom.  The lever is a different shape, so the rod that connects to it wont reach the new handle.  It's about 10 mm higher on the new lever vs the old one.

If what I bought is a XD-XF handle what do I have on the car??  Why is there a difference?

Cheers

Daf

20181202_133603.jpg

20181202_133713.jpg

it will work, they usually have that much slop in the mech anyway. 

but yeah, fix the original and it will probably outlast the car. especially if the hinges aren't worn and the door is adjusted to the striker well

Yeah, they're usually a bit sloppy. The originals were obviously better. Maybe fix it with a washer and a self tapper.  The rod that fits in the plastic holder (on the right), can be adjusted, by spinning it. Have a look inside the door, you'll see the thread on the other end of the rod.

6 hours ago, bear351c said:

Yeah, they're usually a bit sloppy. The originals were obviously better. Maybe fix it with a washer and a self tapper.  The rod that fits in the plastic holder (on the right), can be adjusted, by spinning it. Have a look inside the door, you'll see the thread on the other end of the rod.

i don't think the XD- XF are adjustable but you can bend the rod to take up some slack also.. (or straighten it if it's too tight)

I've drilled out the original, stuck a 4mm bolt thru and fixed the original. Good as gold.

The plastic retainer clips are also different so when I did fit the new one in and lifted the rod up (yes there is some slack) it just popped straight out under pressure as there was 'nothing' holding it in place. 

The guy at Rare spares also told me that the rod would be "adjustable", however it's not.  Inside the door the rod goes down and simply hooks onto another lever on the inside of the lock mechanism, nothing adjustable in there.

Are all doors across the model range the same??  Maybe GL door handles are different to ESP to Fairlanes??

12 hours ago, deankdx said:

i don't think the XD- XF are adjustable but you can bend the rod to take up some slack also.. (or straighten it if it's too tight)

Really?  I could've sworn they were on the old FC I owned. Oh well, there ya go..... my bad.

Sorry Daf, I do drink a lot......

17 minutes ago, bear351c said:

Really?  I could've sworn they were on the old FC I owned. Oh well, there ya go..... my bad.

Sorry Daf, I do drink a lot......

:D:D

2 hours ago, Daf said:

I've drilled out the original, stuck a 4mm bolt thru and fixed the original. Good as gold.

The plastic retainer clips are also different so when I did fit the new one in and lifted the rod up (yes there is some slack) it just popped straight out under pressure as there was 'nothing' holding it in place. 

The guy at Rare spares also told me that the rod would be "adjustable", however it's not.  Inside the door the rod goes down and simply hooks onto another lever on the inside of the lock mechanism, nothing adjustable in there.

Are all doors across the model range the same??  Maybe GL door handles are different to ESP to Fairlanes??

the FORD chrome ones are definitely better than the FORD black ones, the aftermarket are rubbish by comparison. but there are several brands of aftermarket over the 20 + years and some are better than others. 

if the door is adjusted right with good hinge bushes and lubricated lock mechanism, they'd last FOREVER.. people always rant about them breaking, but i had XD to XFs(and an XG) for 20 plus years as daily drivers and i think i broke 3.. but when ever i bought a car i'd have to replace or repair them in the start.

i recently (12 months ago?) bought a pair of NEW door handles for My gemini wagon(different to sedan) they lasted a month before both had different issues. metal was probably one level of hardness above cheese.. so i bought some broken original ones, they are very similar design to falcon ones and people have fitted the falcon ones after slotting holes etc. (the gemini wagon has an adjustable rod as bear describes above)

here's a pic of My repair, i didn't have a nyloc nut handy for the bolt i chose, so got the welder onto it. 

P49gWAJ.jpg

4 hours ago, Daf said:

The top original handle in your  first photo the plastic clip that holds the rod on is from a xf (rod has a90degreee bend in it. Xd/Xe rod had a S shape bend in it and goes through the eyelet grommet that came that came on the new one. I would say the hole drilled in the new arm is to large for the xf attachment. You could always make up anew rod but I would just repair you old one

Thanks dvfalcon.  That's it exactly, I have a 90 deg bend at the top of my rod so it wouldn't stay in the grommet on the new handle.  The bottom of the rod is a 's' shape which goes thru another lever and is not adjustable.

So it looks like someone, at some point has put a set of XF doors on my XD.

Cheers