CHESTNUTXE

FORD GRENADA ?

Hey who was it that built the grenada was it britan or south africa or elsewhere,its getting hard out there to find a decent cortina or xd/f ,when i was in europe a few years ago i saw what i thought was a xd ghia at a distance but when we passed yep a grenada,i also saw a few 2 door cortinas in td shape,some weird creations over there also a few geminis or voxhal ?? dam yanks have taken heaps of our treasured hardtops,does anyone know much about these grandas where they a v6 ? oR 2L 

Hey who was it that built the grenada was it britan or south africa or elsewhere,its getting hard out there to find a decent cortina or xd/f ,when i was in europe a few years ago i saw what i thought was a xd ghia at a distance but when we passed yep a grenada,i also saw a few 2 door cortinas in td shape,some weird creations over there also a few geminis or voxhal ?? dam yanks have taken heaps of our treasured hardtops,does anyone know much about these grandas where they a v6 ? oR 2L 

Granada was built in UK and Germany, South Africa brought out some with V8s shoved in, called the Perana. They were dealer-approved conversions. The South Africans were famous for building crazy hotted-up Fords like those, the Capri Perana and the Sierra XR8.

The Granada was available with V4s, inline 4s and V6s. It was basically a scaled-up mk3 Cortina.

Sent from my CPH1607 using Tapatalk

i wonder what weight the v6 model weighs std,with xd around 1370 std,
I would think about the same as an XD. My old TF Corty was a solid built thing (1120 kg with a six) wasn't made of thin-gauge steel like XD onwards so I reckon Granadas would be beefy like that too, except they're bigger.

41 minutes ago, gerg said:

I would think about the same as an XD. My old TF Corty was a solid built thing (1120 kg with a six) wasn't made of thin-gauge steel like XD onwards so I reckon Granadas would be beefy like that too, except they're bigger.

a speedway guy i used to sell My wrecks(shells ) to. said the falcon once stripped out weighed less than a cortina. 

the capri is the lightest of all mid size fords
They were computer-designed back then (in whatever capacity they could) to not need so much body-deadening to keep the weight down.

so after stripping a xd or e or f shell would you get it  blasted then what ? 
I think dipped is the go. That removes everything, including seam sealer and deadener. Then from there, fibreglass bonnet, guards and boot are the next step, but that's getting expensive.

i had an idea that kevin bartlet did on his camaro he bought fiberglass leaf springs that actually stood up to the test at bathurst,but next question would the coil sprung rear end be lighter than the std leaf set up on xd

The weight saving of fibreglass leaves isn't worth the trouble in my opinion. There might be a 20-30 kg difference, maybe, which you could get by pissing off the stock seats and putting in sports ones.

Weight difference between leaf-sprung and coil rear ends is negligible. You have 2 fat lumps of steel in leaves, vs 4 arms, 2 coils and watts link bars on the later coil setup.

i would prefer the xe im gunna take the crossy out of the ute and replace it with a rebuilt stocker ,then start again on a sedan wheelbase,i already have msd,good motor ect and lsd.

if i was trying to save/cut weight in a street car falcon.

on the list would be:
light seats(the honda prelude ones i had once were half the weight of falcon ones)

light wheels XD ghia /XC gxl lightest i've seen yet.

remove heater box and maybe some of the dash frame

if you were going for max savings i'd do perspex fixed rear door windows and no mechs

i'd just do dry ice on the body deadener, but seriously how much weight would you save? 5kg? i'd more likely leave it in and look elsewhere.

lighter bonnet might save the most weight. (chinese panels are lighter than ford ones)
holesaw the bumper brackets etc
even carpet doesn't weigh that much. 

If you're going all out to save weight I'd agree with dipping to strip everything from everywhere, plus removes a lot of problem rust. Go a step further to galvanise it for bare metal finish internals. From a bare shell, learn to metal finish your bodywork, no filler, then a single or two light coats of direct to metal paint, sand and polish.. featherweight paint job done

8 hours ago, gerg said:

They were computer-designed back then (in whatever capacity they could) to not need so much body-deadening to keep the weight down.

Yeah, but try and find one..........

another ford i had about 20 years ago was a 1974 south african tc or td beige 4 cyl corty it was origanly a consulate car by the log books and was brought out here by the owner in the 70s when i showed it to a few they said it had a subframe ? could be the model which had a v6 or windsor ? if orderd that way