Server maintenance Read more... ×
Corty74

Cortina precrossflow to crossflow conversion

Hi I am restoring a 74 TC Cortina for my sons first car. It had a 200 precrossflow engine and I want to replace it with a 250 crossflow I got out of an XC Falcon. 

The engine mounts seem straight forward but the sump will need to be changed can anyone tell me can I install the sump and oil pick up off the 200 precrossflow motor on the 250 crossflow? Also what do I need to do for the dipstick 

cheers 

Not too sure on this one, but if you go ahead with it, post up heaps of pics. There are a few old girls on here, and the info would be real handy for anyone else thinking of doing the swap.  

Is the TC a stocky?   XLE, or a pommy 2 door? 

i'd have guessed they are same sump, the falcon block may have the rear mount dipstick boss, either needing drilling or punching out a plug?

[mention=43]Thom[/mention] may be able to confirm. 

There are crossflow cortina sumps[mention=7196]chestnutxe[/mention] had one on one of his engines (I don't know if he kept it) I don'tknow if the pre crossflow and crossflow sumps interchange I've never tried it, some cross flows have the boss in the side of the block for the rear sump dipstick drilled out with a tiny little Welch plug in it, some don't, its pretty easy to drill out if you have the sump off anyway, you will also need the oil pickup to suit and the main cap bolt that has a stud on top to mount the pickup to

I'm not sure if a TE/TF sump will fit in a TC/TD chassis, as the steering rack and suspension is backwards from one series to the other.

Sent from my CPH1607 using Tapatalk

41 minutes ago, gerg said:

I'm not sure if a TE/TF sump will fit in a TC/TD chassis, as the steering rack and suspension is backwards from one series to the other.

Nah. Same same. The castor bars go to the front on tc td and towards the rear on Te tf. On,y really a problem if you put a kick out on the drivers side of the sump (like you usually would on a speedway car). 

I believe the bolt patterns and half moons are identical between pre and crossflow. I have a precrossflow engine innthe back of my work ute that I have to strip later this week so I'll have a better idea but I'm certain you will be able to use pre crossflow on actual x flow. 

I have both engines or of the car so I think I’ll pull the sumps of the both of them and try the precrossflow on the 250. 

Will have to see if the pick ups can interchange as well I will try to find the dipstick poisition is it still on the same side of the block? 

It’s XL but was in reasonable shape when we found it, this is the day we brought her home. 

We are painting her this weekend went with the new Ford Mustang Yellow to stay with a Ford colour. 👍

BAFFCB8B-97D6-47E2-9137-5116A0D09481.jpeg

1 hour ago, Corty74 said:

Hi guys just an update on the Corty the sump and pick up both fit perfectly from the 200 precrossflow onto the 250 crossflow. 

Engine goes in tomorrow. 

👍👍

how'd the dipstick hole go? already there in the falcon block? punch out a plug or need drilling?

I knocked out the ballbearing they use to plug the rear dipstick hole and used it to plug the front one. 

I tried to buy a new dipstick for the 250 but not one supplier could get one. In the end I brought one for a 351 motor and cut the pipe down so the dipstick was the exact distance off the pick up. Little bit of mucking around but come up perfect. 👍

5 hours ago, Corty74 said:

I knocked out the ballbearing they use to plug the rear dipstick hole and used it to plug the front one. 

I tried to buy a new dipstick for the 250 but not one supplier could get one. In the end I brought one for a 351 motor and cut the pipe down so the dipstick was the exact distance off the pick up. Little bit of mucking around but come up perfect. 👍

perfect. now some more people know, and this post/thread can help others in the future. 

not surprised you can't get parts these days, i was getting issues 10yrs ago for XFs and XEs . wreckers or ebay seemed to be the only way for many items.. now it's facebook. no fees on selling has many people avoid ebay completely

Can any of you guys help me with the location of the temperature sender unit/sensor in the 4.1 crossflow motor? The motor is out of a XC falcon. 

It is a cast iron head model and I’ve only every played with the alloy head models which the sensor is alway in the front of the head on the intake side. 

The oil pressure sensor is in the same location as the pre-crossflow motor but the temp sensor has me stuffed. 

Thanks

I quizzed a bloke who used to install them, he seems to vaguely remember inlet side at the back of the head.

Edit: I think that's it below #6 inlet port (top head)

e821ab74dae0e84de47fb9b25d872de7.jpg

Thanks guys you were spot on just below the inlet manifold towards the back of the head. It didn’t have one in it when I brought the engine but I’ve found the spot. 

I’m going to put a thermo fan in it where would you guys recommend putting the temp sensor for that. Cheers 

Thanks guys you were spot on just below the inlet manifold towards the back of the head. It didn’t have one in it when I brought the engine but I’ve found the spot. 
I’m going to put a thermo fan in it where would you guys recommend putting the temp sensor for that. Cheers 
I drilled and tapped into the thermostat housing for the switch on my EA. My 302 wags has it going into one of the ports where a vacuum switch would normally be. Basically any point at the top of the engine that senses coolant at the hottest point (ie: going out of the engine to the radiator).

You didn't use the plug next to the water pump? 

Yeah I think that's the one. 3/8" NPT or so.

I know that's going into the engine but there aren't many options on a Clevo.

Next to the waterpump on a clevo is for the temp sensor that goes to the dash,

The threaded hole on top of the thermostat housing is 3/8" Gas, Tridon thermo fan switch will fit straight into there,

A TFS110 will turn fans on at 85°C & off at 80°C & TFS111 is on at 95°C & off at 90°C.

simply run the ground wire from the relay to the TFS. I run this on the Clevo my Black ute

Thanks I’ll check the water pump I don’t remember there being a extra outlet on it but it might be there I’ve used a new brass fitting on the thermostat housing for the heater house and thought maybe I could drill it and tap a 1/8 thread for the sensor. 

Im just not sure if that’s where it needs to be as it won’t gave water flow until the thermostat opens. 

Ill also look at the vacuum port I’m just waiting for the new manifold to turn up for the 350 Holley so I’ll check it as well. 

Cheers

Thanks I’ll check the water pump I don’t remember there being a extra outlet on it but it might be there I’ve used a new brass fitting on the thermostat housing for the heater house and thought maybe I could drill it and tap a 1/8 thread for the sensor. 
Im just not sure if that’s where it needs to be as it won’t gave water flow until the thermostat opens. 
Ill also look at the vacuum port I’m just waiting for the new manifold to turn up for the 350 Holley so I’ll check it as well. 
Cheers
You definitely want the fans to come on a lot longer after the thermostat opens. The thermostat housing is actually ideal because it senses how hot the water is coming out of the engine. Anywhere on the water pump will be sensing the cooled water that just came out of the radiator. You'll have your fans cycling like crazy.