Sign in to follow this  
esp-6

keeping temps down with turbo

As the title suggests, 

whats everyone doing to keep engine temps down with a turbo 250 crossflow setup? 

Mine gets to 220F at lights and usually sits around 200F when cruising

Mine is blown but there was zero difference between NAT ASP and blown with engine oil and or coolant temp.

Id suggest using a iron head water pump pulley to slow the pump down to allow it to cool in the radiator longer or going to a electric water pump and controller.

My car never went over 85c coolant temp or 185f all last week on Drag Challenge even after 3-4hrs stints.

When you're not on boost, it shouldn't make a difference whether or not it has a turbo bolted to it as to any temperature issues. How did you achieve boost retard? If you just backed the timing off at the dizzy, it might be retarded to the point of cooking the motor.

Sent from my CPH1607 using Tapatalk

Iv heat wrapped the dump pipe, turbo beanie and made a heat shield for the exhaust manifold from a b series heat shield. Iv also played with different thermostats and water pump pulleys to get it right. Im using a fixed fan with small water pump pulley. With the larger pulley, coolant temp fluctuates alot between driving and in traffic. 

If the turbo is water cooled the places the lines are tapped in may effect the system aswell.

On 21/11/2018 at 8:53 PM, dex said:

First up ,,

what radiator are you using ,, - standard radiator i believe 

clutch fan or electric,, - clutch fan

thermostat ,, - standard thermostat 

oil cooler ,, - no

timing ,, - not sure as i didnt tune it 

intercooler,, - un sure on size but same intercooler was in another car with same setup and temps were fine

exhaust size ,, - 3inch all the way with 3 inch muffler

the possibilities go on 

On 21/11/2018 at 9:46 PM, gerg said:

When you're not on boost, it shouldn't make a difference whether or not it has a turbo bolted to it as to any temperature issues. How did you achieve boost retard? If you just backed the timing off at the dizzy, it might be retarded to the point of cooking the motor.

Sent from my CPH1607 using Tapatalk

wouldnt have a clue to be honest, was tuned by JPC - temps have slowly been getting worse and worse