Server maintenance Read more... ×
xfish

140amp Alternator for the 250 cross flow

Ok, So i purchased and received the alternator...first thing....i will need a 3 ring pulley on the alternator for the v belt to line up.( it is short an inch from lining up) The lower extended mount on the alternator will need some washers to fill in the 2 mm gap to fit smug on the original bracket of the car and the top bracket needs to be bent, or the mounting hole on the alternator needs to be grinned back to line up with the original bracket.( Yes, I said bracket a lot ). So, I'm short on time to do this at the moment, and will get around to do it shortly.

I currently have the 3 wire set-up and hope the change to the 1 one wire set-up will be beneficial and more tidy. 

So, in short....don't buy it ,unless you ready to do these mods.

I got an aeroflow 140amp chev alternator. Changed to an xd alt bracket ( I have an xf) a few spacers on the bottom mount and it fits fine. I need to run a heavier charging wire ( haven't done that yet:mellow: ) one wire hookup. Should be able to run thermo fans, trailer lights & headlights fine.

Ok, so this an old post I started and have finally purchased the XD bracket and am ready to mount my aeroflow alternator and of course I'll be going from 3 wire to 1 wire set - up. Obviously all i have to do is just connect the charge wire and tuck the other 2 back into the harness, but will my red battery light on the xf ghia dash stay on, since it's lost the signal......?

And having the XF ghia digital dash, will i show volt charge on that, or will that start flashing at me?

just before i get around to attaching this alternator, why would i have to earth the alternator to the block? Cause right now, i have the factory set-up on the XF, with the 3 wire set-up and have recently added a 8mm charging wire in place of the original set-up. cause right now, i have a earthing strap between the block to the chaise.

ok, so the alternator is all bolted and strapped in, i ran an earth to the block from the alt( though I'm confident that i didnt need to, but did anyway ), and the alt charges at 14:68 and 14:58 at the battery in the boot. The volt guage ( xf ghia ) sits 7-9 bar, where before it would sit between 4 -6 , and my speco volt guage is just above 14 volt.  And as suspected, the battery light is on, so i will need to pull the bulb.

The only issue, is the alt pulley dosent line up perfectly with the water pump pulley. It's not dead straight as it use to be. The alt mount is bolted perfectly, and I cant pull the alt back any further than it is. To be dead straight, the alt would have to go back a maximum of 5mm . I've revved the car passed 3500 rpm and i havent slipped the belt. Honestly, i dont think this is a problem but if i start breaking/jumping belts, I will have to re-visit on how to do this.

can you space the alternator by grinding the mounting bracket? add washers. depends how far it's out, but if it's 1mm or more you'll probably be wanting to fix it i think.

i was surprised how easy some of the belts jumped off from even the brackets flexing on BGDAVs car, 6000rpm on the clevo V8 and bam.. belt gone, engine gets hot fast..(no alt/battery light to tell you the belt is gone might be a bit risky also.. ) 

8 minutes ago, xfish said:

yeah, thats a great idea.  I'd have to grind the front of the bracket and add washers to the back to push it forward..... cheers

some of the alternators have a steel sleeve in the alloy mounting that can be tapped back or forth also, (support it well if going to be tapping with a hammer/press) 

It's is a solid bracket, and cant be maneuvered. I will just have to grind very gently, and no doubt, it will take several attempts to get it right.Cause as it stands, the alt bracket sits perfectly in the XD alt bracket, and I could only fit 1 copper washer at the back in there to take up the slack. cheers