Server maintenance Read more... ×
SteveHobart

Crossy build- am I on the right track

There’ll be a roll pin in a hole that goes through both half’s of the selector shaft, knock it out with a pin punch.
go buy a casket kit for a single rail and change all the gaskets while your at it.
Since i had my single rail fully rebuilt its unreal and new alloy shifter screw in thing best gearbox in a single rail i have ever haf

Sent from my SM-G570Y using Tapatalk

The shift spool being the ‘round thing’ around the shifter shaft and the guide being the slot on the top cover. Using words I can understand () you have to get the round thing on the shifter shaft to sit in the guide on the top cover yes?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Correct, and that slot is only stamped steel that can bend and distort very easily if not lined up with the spool properly as you bolt the top cover on. If any end clearance in that slot allows the spool to move back and forth excessively, you could end up being jammed in gear. If you miss that slot altogether with the spool, you can get 2 gears at once, which is the perfect recipe for carnage.

The proper terminology for that part is "shift interlock spool", which means exactly what it says. It prevents one shift fork from engaging while the other is actuated, or more accurately, keeps one in neutral while the shift pin is pushing or pulling on the other. Very simple and clever setup.

Another thing is that the top cover cork gasket cannot be substituted with silastic or similar because the cork provides a set shim distance between the casing and the cover. If you try installing with just sealant, the spool will touch the cover plate and prevent the bolts tightening all the way down. It will piss oil out the top of the box or bend the top cover.

Sent from my CPH1607 using Tapatalk

Little bit late to the party but good luck with the build mate! I’m running a 14892 (have been for a while) and was great at the time because it standard converter (now a manual), standard rockers and standard balancer so the shows all over by 5,000rpm. But yeh can’t wait to go abit bigger eventually.

So a couple of you have mentioned aftermarket lightened flywheels, had no idea this was an option. So the Windsor one with the correct tooth count bolts straight in? Would you still be able to use the pressure plate and clutch from the standard flywheel or do new holes need to be tapped into the flywheel? Excuse my ignorance with this one

I believe a zero balance Windsor 157 tooth is the same as a Ford 6. Drillings for clutch bolts however I don't know about. Yella Terra list this flywheel for both, but doesn't say anything about clutch compatibility. Maybe give them a ring?

I believe a zero balance Windsor 157 tooth is the same as a Ford 6. Drillings for clutch bolts however I don't know about. Yella Terra list this flywheel for both, but doesn't say anything about clutch compatibility. Maybe give them a ring?

Very good question

Sent from my SM-G570Y using Tapatalk

I used a zero balance 5.0 billet flywheel from yella terra on my 4.0 in my xh, it took a 4.0 style pressure plate and clutch without any mods

Thanks Thom there you go can’t imagine it being any different then.

For a light flywheel i am impressed with mine. 6.5kg with ring gear on.

Www.ironforce.co.nz

Be cheap as with aussie money haha6c47a494ae03ccf51b3fc3f033d43c9b.jpg

Sent from my SM-J330G using Tapatalk

Looks awesome mate is this also a Windsor one as well that fit? Did you ever drive the car with the standard flywheel to compare?

On 1/10/2019 at 12:43 AM, Mixalis said:

Looks awesome mate is this also a Windsor one as well that fit? Did you ever drive the car with the standard flywheel to compare?

Sorry for late response, not a windsor one. Made for e series speedway motors by a crowd here in NZ.

Was dirty bw35 before so no comparison.

It’s been a while so I thought I would update a bit! So have found that the Heater Core was absolutely rotten, which is why it was leaking water. So whole dash out time to replace that. While it was out I replaced the fan solinoid (as it was only working on one setting) and fixed up a few cracks in the climate control unit.
I think I have finished wiring in the Megasquirt with all the factory ECU now disconnected. The only cables which were left were those which controlled the emissions controls which is right (according to the wiring diagram), just need to put in a vacuum line to the MAP sensor built into the Megasquirt.

Have found some massively dodgy stuff in the wiring loom too.

Have also started removing the black stripes on the side and am going to be painting the bumpers.

3e16b60251d83d2e94caad527499a01e.jpg

f833604270a72a5c5bb92a9ea9149d58.jpg

woo! updates

did you get any pics of the cracks in the climate thing and how you fixed it? seen these for the first time last year and wondered if i'd kept any spares(didn't)

No sorry Dean I didn’t. :(

So progress is slowing a little due to Auto Electrical issues. Unfortunately the issues aren’t of my making, they relate to a prior owner who, well let’s just say, was maybe a little ambitious with joining wires!

c465adef4c46ffabc72e14bf6d4141a4.jpg

e38288a4a252d519d8b9b60a545cf0e0.jpg

must be the same dude that wired My gemini, 

there's also a pic in there with the earth wire with 3 joins in it.. twist and tape.. on the CD player(didn't work) i wired it into My sedan, it's been perfect for 2yrs now

E38DN1o.jpg

ewqt9CR.jpg

Hey all! Just a bit of an update the engine is finished!!! Just waiting on the gearbox to be finished so I can put it all in as an assembly. In the mean time I have:
- Ordered a Bolt In 1/2 roll cage
- fitted some racing seats
- ordered 2 x racing harnesses
- finished wiring the Megasquirt unit
- Fitted the O2 sensor to the extractors
- Fitted the Air Temp Sensor to the Plenum chamber

This weekend I spent a bit of time reducing weight in the old XF. Basically cutting away the tow bar and some of the surplus steel under the rear bar in particular!

So progress is being made!!!

Hey guys! Well I’ve been a little busy with my other hobby (growing food) as winter is the time to get out in the garden and set everything up for spring.
However I have been able to spend a few hours each weekend on the XF and here’s where we are at.
34a27ee40358ff598155ad11d67ccb26.jpg
Yup! Back where she belongs!
Am going to hook her all up and double check the wiring/sensors to make sure everything is sweet.
Can’t wait to fire it up. It’s getting closer!

Hey guys! Well I’ve been a little busy with my other hobby (growing food) as winter is the time to get out in the garden and set everything up for spring.
However I have been able to spend a few hours each weekend on the XF and here’s where we are at.
34a27ee40358ff598155ad11d67ccb26.jpg
Yup! Back where she belongs!
Am going to hook her all up and double check the wiring/sensors to make sure everything is sweet.
Can’t wait to fire it up. It’s getting closer!

Hey there . I've just being messaging a bloke with a injected crossy who's having vacuum plumbing line probs. U got any more pics of plumbing ?

Sent from my SM-T590 using Tapatalk