Sign in to follow this  
dizzy616

my car spat another pushrod today

eh i dont care so much at the moment with the donar engine and transmission ready to take out put in it. got the parts bomb perfectly running order but full of rust and bog. what i exactly wanted even though it was a impulse buy. i plan to when i rebuild the engine in it for it to fork out and save for a c4 or t5.

but yet ive thrashed a xf for 2 to nearly 3 years like that. but a bit worst with a bw40 went through a accelerator cable and a kickdown but never killed it went good last time i saw it to.

You got a crossflow to rev to 4500 in stock trim??? Lol mine is worthless above 3500... Best i could get out of my XF was 4000 with a really open exhaust. Incidentally no bent pushrods either! :P

Cross flow bent push rods hay? Yep they are known to do this. Stuck or seized lifter will result in this. When I bought my xf panelvan it had been sitting for quite a few years, once i got her started it clanged & banged like a friggen demolition jack hammer in the top of the engine. On further inspection  when I removed the rocker cover it was pretty obvious where the destructive noise was coming from.  Two of the rods were um 'foked' & i mean foked. One of them was worse than the one shown in the photo of this thread & was fully bent like a 's' shape. Well all that said, i just hammered them straight again on the concrete & put them back in LOL. That's how us bush mechanics roll up here in NT, ha,ha. .Engine started & ran fine, that was two years ago now & it's still got the same rods in there. Although it never gets revved hard. Just make sure that the lifters are free, you should be able to push them up & down by hand with the end of the rod.

yeh i just tend to think the pushrods are old. they bent when i put them in but only by a bees dick. and i replaced 2 at the back that had bent. it seems to be healthier now i replaced them.

and yeh windsored go the bush mechanics i was thinking of doing the bush mechanics welding technique on a pot soon

dizzy if the rods are bent, do yourself a favour and try to find out why.

if your lifters are seized, you'll be replacing pushrods again before you get a chance to fit the new engine. its easy to test for lunched lifters, so give it a go.

if you're revving it like mad, the pushrods may still survive, but if lifters are gunked, or cam lobe is worn, you'll bend them easy.

good luck with it

Guest esp1122

Hi all, I have found that too much lifter pre-load can bend pushrods with just light throttle changes at 2000-3500rpm. A worn cam giving not enough pre-load can also do it but that would normally give a loud tick. If you have no roller rockers you can try a shim kit to get them all right.

might seem like newb question but how do you test for shit lifters? is it take the rocker cover off and just turn the engine over by hand see if they all move?

hmm shim kit might check that out

what are they where do you get them from?

Guest esp1122

might seem like newb question but how do you test for shit lifters? is it take the rocker cover off and just turn the engine over by hand see if they all move?

hmm shim kit might check that out

what are they where do you get them from?

Yes remove the rocker cover and check for loose rockers at tdc power stroke for worn lifters/lobes or for over loaded lifters un do the rocker bolts 1 turn and if they are still tight with no up or down play they will have too much pre-load. Crane make a shim kit to suit clevelands at around $30 and come with 16 x .010" shims and 16 x .020" shims. You only want 3/4 of a turn of pre-load after the pushrod can no longer be turned by your fingers. I hope this helps as it helped me big time and stopped all my bent pushrods. :D

might do the check soon on new engine. old engine wont get used much anymore. part of the reason i got the ute roadied. so i can work on the sedan without needing it on the road asap. new engines fairly sound but ill get into the old engine once its out.

and cant wait to finally get into seeing what the internals are like in a crossflow. get a bigger cam and stronger cam in there and see how she pulls. new lifters and pushrods with a nice set of roller rockers to help it hold together. wont be aiming for power but a bit a little bit more power. will be the icing on the cake

i imagine might be painfull at times.

but should be rewarding in the end

1 question i know this aint the topic for it but is it better getting the clutch fan off in the car or easy enough with the engine out?

yeh i wouldn't mind fitting thermos. i get paranoid about getting my jumper caught up in a clutch fan

tuck your jumper in, lol.

i got my thermos for $50, the controller + relay was like $40 from memory. wire it up and you're off