Server maintenance Read more... ×
Hawksam67

XH Panelvan Mattress

considering the foam was dear when i went to a foam mattress joint(and cover was a pain to make) and you can't sleep on the wheel arches anyway. ..

i'd get a single mattress(maybe king sinlgle if it fits length ways?) and maybe stuff cushions or blankets or doover whatsits in the gaps on the side.. 

i was doing this for My econovan, but because i had enough height, i spaced up the mattress by building a frame to the wheel arch height.  

one of My mates was considering measuring the wheel in the arch height and cutting the arches down and plating them flat and building a similar false floor over the arches for the van. not sure you'd gain much.(My econovan also measures wider above the arches than below, so it fits a queen size in rather than a cut down middle of a double.. )

I use a futon in mine, which is light enough to wedge itself around the wheel arches, and plenty of space for storage (Esky, toolboxes, etc) furter along. I have plenty of insulating rubber between the tray and the futon (I had that custom-cut by Clark's Rubber for my old XF panelvan years ago), so when I lie on it I don't feel the tray underneath me. It's comfy enough for me for a decent kip.