NZXD

How many members live in NT?

Hey guys,

How many OZfalcon members live in the Northern Territory?

Im after some info many around Darwin and the surrounding area, regarding the cost of living (rents/ house prices/food etc) and the better places to live?

The reason for my questions, is that I may be relocating to the area from little old NZ.

Any info is appreaciated.

Cheers

Gday NZXD,

well not sure how many of us Ozfalconers live here in NT, I am the only one that I know of, but I'm sure  would be others. Keen to know this myself & possibly meet up with any one else?

As for the cost of living= dearest in Oz!

Rent= on an average your looking at about $400+ min PW & that's only gonna get you a 2 bed unit that's rough as gutts!

House prices= Well I just payed $430,000 for a 1 bedroom house. This was a fairly high price as it's on a huge block 1050 sq & has all the bells & wistles. A 3 bedroom house could cost anywere from $550k>$650k & upwards.

Food prices= Heaps, Milk & bread fairly average as it's produced locally but anything else that has to be freighted in you will get burnt for.

Petrol= Heaps $1.68 per ltr & that's NOT premium by the way.

With all that said & done we do have fairly good wages to be made here compaired to the rest of OZ.

And I wouldn't live anywhere else to be honest, I love the place, Takes some getting used to the climate & lifestyle as well as the price of living & stuff but you will either, not stay long or be here for good. We do have a high rate of short term residents.

Gday NZXD,

well not sure how many of us Ozfalconers live here in NT, I am the only one that I know of, but I'm sure  would be others. Keen to know this myself & possibly meet up with any one else?

As for the cost of living= dearest in Oz!

Rent= on an average your looking at about $400+ min PW & that's only gonna get you a 2 bed unit that's rough as gutts!

House prices= Well I just payed $430,000 for a 1 bedroom house. This was a fairly high price as it's on a huge block 1050 sq & has all the bells & wistles. A 3 bedroom house could cost anywere from $550k>$650k & upwards.

Food prices= Heaps, Milk & bread fairly average as it's produced locally but anything else that has to be freighted in you will get burnt for.

Petrol= Heaps $1.68 per ltr & that's NOT premium by the way.

With all that said & done we do have fairly good wages to be made here compaired to the rest of OZ.

And I wouldn't live anywhere else to be honest, I love the place, Takes some getting used to the climate & lifestyle as well as the price of living & stuff but you will either, not stay long or be here for good. We do have a high rate of short term residents.

Cheers, I have been looking at house prices, renting and purchase with some decent ones (4 bedroom) asking 900 p/w.

The cost of petrol is cheap compared to NZ, we pay $2.04 a litre for 91 at present.

I have done a fair bit of looking at the area using google earth, but will have to make a trip over/up and have a decent look around.

Car mods, laws & regulations are pretty easy going. You can pretty much do what you please as long as it's safe. No engineering certification is needed, as we don't have any one here to do it. So you can basically drop your big block into your cortina,or what ever floats your boat, upgrade its brakes to disk & suspension mods. Take the vehicle through the pits at Motor Vehicle Registry for them to check it over & pass. They're pretty easy going blokes as long as you do the rite thing & don't try bluffing them with a crap car that's dangerous with bald tires & faulty brakes ,lights & shit,  they will issue the modification compliance plate & you can then get it registered..   

I love Darwin & lived there for 28 years, moved to QLD 4 years ago due to the cost of living!!! Wanted to buy a house in darwin but that went way out of control (houses were going up 50k to 150k a year!!!))). Cheapest house there now would be 700k i reckon, units around 400k no joke!!! my sister is renting a shit box 3 bedroom house for 530 a week!!! My wife & i bought a 5 bedroom house in QLD has a 4 bay shed for under 400k, Same deal in Darwin would be double!!!.

My 2 kids were born there & will holiday there as much as we can but cannot justifie paying crazy prices for everything!!! about the only thing that is cheaper there is rego 

As for rego i was an orthorised inspector there & modified my own cars, first you must submit a request to the technical advisory commitee at the motor vehicle rego center (goyder road) who will view your request. If they agree they will give you stages in which your car must be inspected during your modifications. The mod plate is a laminated card that stays with your car in the glove box, i still have this in my current QLD registered XG 5L that i built in Darwin. Its very simple but yearly inspections are mandatory at the MVR on any modified vehicles...

As for the weather i was used to the humidity for years then heat rash got to me bad. Every 2 hours i would change my shirt, ring out the sweet from the shirt i removed & hang it on a fence. Best time of the year is between may & september as the weather is awsome, nice & cool. when i retire we'll be towing our caravan up there for the middle of the year awesomeness 

Hey guys, thought I'd bring this thread back to life as I'm after a bit of info about bringing a modified vehicle into the NT.

About May last year I started looking into moving to the NT as an employment opportunity raised it's head which was nearly to good to be true, well it's still there and the misses is pushing me towards it.

My question for people in the know is, how would I go about getting my XD road legal given that it runs a roller 302 from a AU but with carb etc.

Cheers.

Sounds pretty straight forward dude as the XD had a V8 factory.

All you;d need is a charcoal canister & run a hose from carby & fuel tank into it. 

It will need a road worthy inspection & compliance check. The compliance check is just the motor vehicle registry (on goyder road Stuart park) looking at your chassis number & engine number to make sure these numbers aren't registered anywhere else in Australia. & the road worthy can be done at the same place or any automotive workshop that has an authorized  inspector. Xdrift, Danny could maybe help you out there...

cheers Scotty

Cheers dude.

I'm pretty sure there wouldnt be many XDs in Oz with the chassis number starting with "MA". Doesn't sound to difficult. They never ran a charcoal cannister over here but that doesn't sound to much trouble to sort.

For the nt people all ford day on this Sunday at kormilda college.

See classic ford web site for details..Visitors welcome with gold coin donation from 11.00

To answer the above. It's easy to register modified vehicles . Turbos , supercharged, big blokes etc. does not matter.

Just need to be safe and suitable for the power and correct plates, engine numbers etc

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cheers dude.

I'm pretty sure there wouldnt be many XDs in Oz with the chassis number starting with "MA". Doesn't sound to difficult. They never ran a charcoal cannister over here but that doesn't sound to much trouble to sort.

Still movin'?

The missus is very keen and has had quite a few employment opportunities where the money offered is more than twice what we get here in NZ, however these have been in Alice Springs, population of 25k and in the middle of a fucking desert, so I'm like hmmmm what to do.

The missus is very keen and has had quite a few employment opportunities where the money offered is more than twice what we get here in NZ, however these have been in Alice Springs, population of 25k and in the middle of a fucking desert, so I'm like hmmmm what to do.

Weigh up the super high rent, cost of living verse the extra money you would earn. If it does not work out don't do it.

I have several friends in Alice. Not a bad place but you would want to earn good money to live there in the guts and put up with some of the local behaviour. My mates earn good money so justify the living costs.

One good thing 10km out of town you can drive as fast as you please legally. No speed limits

That's the average so on the money. Expensive to buy too so as you are battering with investors and professional renovators that but the cheaper ex commission houses.

Score jobs with conico or impex or flyin fly out mines is the way to go. Own business too can make some serious money as a contractor. All depends on the skills.

I'm a manager at the power stations and wife a senior teacher and we have had our house since 1999 so way before the gas boom time

Still many people do well and are successful up here but many are long term people.

Well had my interview yesterday in a swanky hotel room.

Not sure on how it went, but I walked out without any injury.

Also the answer to the question "do you have any convictions"? IS NOT " I thought that was a prerequisite to get into Australia".