Rodders

VIN not on vic roads search

13 posts in this topic

Hi Geniuses,

I am trying to by a 1986 XF Ute. But can’t do a check on the vin, as the vicroads search says it does exist. The vehicle has no rego plates.

How do I buy with confidence?

The vin is JG41GS 91932 C

Which bits do I add into the searches ? It says I need 17 characters?

Someone easy my frustration and tell me my mistakes, please.890767ed37798188e3ff24bcbaec052a.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

its because it's called a CHASSIS number on older cars, around 1993? they had Vin. where ford had for eg 6FPAAAjg41gs91932c

it doesn't come up for Me on a vic rego check.. maybe been unregistered for ages. but should be able to do the PPSR check for stolen/finance still (and pay money for that)

Thanks Dean.
I paid the $2 for the PPSR , and the vehicle doesn’t come up.
The chassis number is JG41GS91932C right?
Is it common that the database doesn’t have vehicles from the 80s?
The vehicle looks to be an 86 falcon xf Ute, S pack.

cd507fa973d4c20eff46df9e91a8e3dd.png

yeah especially if they haven't been registered for a long time. (there's probably a period of time ? )

Rodders likes this

its because it's called a CHASSIS number on older cars, around 1993? they had Vin. where ford had for eg 6FPAAAjg41gs91932c
1988 or 89 VINs were introduced.

Ford literally just added the prefix 6FPAAA in front of the chassis number on Falcons to convert them to a VIN

But I can’t seem to have any register identify the vehicle. What number should I search?

The seller doesn’t have any previous registration numbers/plates either.

I rang vicroads today. They said their national database doesn’t show any record of that chassis number.
The asked if:
1. I knew the previous registration number/plate. - but the seller doesn’t know that, so I don’t
2. I knew the engine number, which they might be able to search on. The seller has since provided this to me (JG23FK57035C) but seller says it doesn’t come up on his searches. I will call vicroads with this number and speak with them in the morning.

Really appreciate the help and guidance here guys. Thanks. Just want to buy this Ute with out any dramas later, and be okay to spend money on it.

deankdx likes this

Something that may be happening, I had trouble with one of my Rovers not coming up in their database when I wanted permits for it. The chassis number wasn't getting any results. I spoke to one girl who asked for the engine number (which came from a later model) found that came up as archived (was not in the normal database). Once she managed to find the engine number all the other details were linked to it including previous registration. I believe it was because the car had been unregistered for some time so it wasn't in the active side of their files.

Rodders likes this

So Vicroads has no record of the motor in the car.
Vicroads said they have no history of this vehicle at all. Further to that, if I was to show up with the car and RWC, they will simply add it to the register.

So, I bought it.

Can’t wait until Monday.

Thanks for all your comments

deankdx and 2redrovers like this

good to hear. 
i thought it would be this simple. 
if it comes up on the register with issues, then you worry.. if it's not on the list.. good to go(making sure you try the G as a C etc as your pic shows it could be confused.. one of mine was wrong once)