Server maintenance Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
hendrixhc

Developing an issue with Starting

So as many of you know i have swapped out the crap loader gear box for a built c4.

Since doing this i am starting to have an issue with the starter motor not engaging or something and Lucy  being a little bitch to start.

You can here the starter turning over but not engaging the ring gear. There is no clashing or grinding just the sound of the motor spinning.

If i stick my foot out the car and rock her back and forth a bit in neutral it usually engages and starts.

Can anyone enlighten me as to the most likely cause.

an auto shouldn't make any difference rocking it.. flywheel(flexplate) shouldn't be able to move from that. 

how was the flex plate when you fitted it? teeth gouged in any spot?

i'd try another starter motor maybe? unless the flexplate to crank bolts have come loose?

Flexplate was like new, gear in excellent condition.

I should really recheck the mounting bolts i guess. Might pull the starter out and check everything this weekend as its gicing me the shits.

Some manual trans cars ran a spacer in front of the starter motor. Maybe check if you've got one stuck on the front of yours.

Only a thin plate about 2-3 mm thick I reckon. 

Actually, I think it was the other way around, the Autos ran a spacer...... 

Never mind.

Some manual trans cars ran a spacer in front of the starter motor. Maybe check if you've got one stuck on the front of yours.
Only a thin plate about 2-3 mm thick I reckon. 

Actually, I think it was the other way around, the Autos ran a spacer...... 

Never mind.
You were right the first way, manuals ran a spacer, but very occasionally you come across a manual starter, they are shorter and don't engage the flex plate

Ive noticed on Fleecebay that they advertise some of the starter motors as Automatic only. I assume this means the throw out is a different length on them.

12 hours ago, hendrixhc said:

Ive noticed on Fleecebay that they advertise some of the starter motors as Automatic only. I assume this means the throw out is a different length on them.

i haven't kept up with it. the BA one we fitted to Daves clevo is fine, ground a big out to clear where it fouls and it works. 

could measure the distance from the flange to the teeth? compare to the XG one if it's out(don't bother in the car, almost impossible to remove)