Fingers

EST or Electronic distributor

Do I run a vacuum line from the map sensor to the manifold?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Yes, having it disconnected will put the timing in full retard at all loads, as if you had no vac advance. It would cruise poorly and maybe even run a bit hotter

Sent from my CPH1903 using Tapatalk

Yes, having it disconnected will put the timing in full retard at all loads, as if you had no vac advance. It would cruise poorly and maybe even run a bit hotter

Do you know how many bar the the factory xf map sensor is. I've noticed some on Ebay with the same plug and other vehicles use the same type of sensor. I could go to the wreckers and grab a few.

Should be 1 bar, as there were never any factory boosted XFs

Do I need to use a temp sender and a throttle position switch? I found this diagram online. c7ba3dba9e463b98ce68d3d7d74c9d67.jpg

That's an ignition module for a Bosch reluctor type distributor. The module is basically a transistor that takes a small, pulsed voltage signal from the reluctor (the pointy wheel inside the dizzy) and turns it into a strong on/off 12v signal to the coil primary to create your sparks. The fact that you removed it says that it wasn't hooked up to start with.

This is the old Weber. Do you know what the 2 things circled are?9d3ebc8801da9fe828bc98c4fe45dd3d.jpgd5104eed200156e05023b0ee58ec040d.jpg

This is the old Weber. Do you know what the 2 things circled are?9d3ebc8801da9fe828bc98c4fe45dd3d.jpgd5104eed200156e05023b0ee58ec040d.jpg

The bigger one looks like an idle-up solenoid (for ac), the small one is a fuel shutoff.

The bigger one looks like an idle-up solenoid (for ac), the small one is a fuel shutoff.

Are they required for the est setup? I'm going withba holley. Also do I need a throttle position switch?

What does a xf throttle position switch look like. I'll be able to retrofit it to suit the holley and use the existing plug

What does a xf throttle position switch look like. I'll be able to retrofit it to suit the holley and use the existing plug

Sorry now I'm lost... If you're using a carby then no you don't need any of the engine management bits. Only the stuff that makes the ignition work.

Sorry now I'm lost... If you're using a carby then no you don't need any of the engine management bits. Only the stuff that makes the ignition work.

Yeah I know, but I'm trying to get the est working well. Do I need a throttle position switch for the est? I've ordered a new map switch and I'm just trying to see what else I need to make it function properly.

9 hours ago, GregHamilton said:

smaller one needs power on it, its' the fuel cut solenoid to stop the car running on when you turn it off.  the idle jet lives in there also. 
bigger one i haven't seen but looks like an idle up for air con(there's other methods also on various models of these carbys without the bulk of it.. won't need that one)

i'll have a read a bit later, but [mention=21]Mr Polson[/mention] might know what you need to know on the tps on carby, some had a wire coming off the throttle stop.. might be what it's for?(just a home/idle setting?)
Yep, TPS on XF EST was just a wire that lets the computer know if the throttle was on or off.
I ran my ute for years without one, with no issues.

I think the more important thing for the EST is the coolant temp sensor as it changes the timing as the motor warms up from memory.

Yep, TPS on XF EST was just a wire that lets the computer know if the throttle was on or off.
I ran my ute for years without one, with no issues.

I think the more important thing for the EST is the coolant temp sensor as it changes the timing as the motor warms up from memory.
Is this the of/off throttle position switch in the picture above? The temp sender just goes from the thermostat housing with one of those blue plugs in the loom yeah?

Is this the of/off throttle position switch in the picture above? The temp sender just goes from the thermostat housing with one of those blue plugs in the loom yeah?

Nah neither of those pictures above show the TPS.

It's on the firewall side of the carby, with a wire attached, leading to a connector. I could get a photo tonight if need be.

Nah neither of those pictures above show the TPS.

It's on the firewall side of the carby, with a wire attached, leading to a connector. I could get a photo tonight if need be.
That would be good. Thanks.

If memory serves...

any red wire with green stripe (near the carby), is for the choke coil and fuel cut-off solenoid switch.

(edit - circular plug for choke coil, and spade terminal for fuel cut solenoid)

If memory serves...
any red wire with green stripe (near the carby), is for the choke coil and fuel cut-off solenoid switch.

(edit - circular plug for choke coil, and spade terminal for fuel cut solenoid)
Will any of that disconnected interfere with the est functioning correctly

6 hours ago, GregHamilton said:

I'd also like to know what the following plugs in the loom are for if anyone knows. 6a74306425570c14e03fe08c111cc03b.jpg

yellow one if long enough... is for the temp sender on the font of the head

that 2 pin plug with the pink /green? is probably the coil wires 

those two air right angle female spade ones could be the air con pressure switch (goes on the air con pipe near the fire wall)

the other i'd guess is oil sender.

the plug below is something for a charcoal canister from memory 

0917224b41d82825b7d0d0a8a627653e.jpg

Left to right connector, Black A/C?, Yellow 7 volt for weber choke, brown ?, red w/green line would be weber fuel cut solenoid.

2 pin plug if red w/green line, & pink w/blue line is EST coil wiring,

connector near dissy is canister purge valve,

Completely forgot to get a photo the other day.

My ute doesn't have, and has never had AC so can't help with that much. It is a 89 model so has EST, and did have plenty of emmisons rubbish that I've removed

Overviewd97062776417463f6b729f8d4938d510.jpg

These are either for AC (never fitted) or a PTC heater that was definitely on early 3.3L and I've heard some late model 4.1 had them as emmision control? It was basically a heated element for while the car was cold. Either way mine doesn't have it there.

b2f69d4133f94949f53fb63044a7bc99.jpg

Fuel cut off solenoid. Closes off the fuel circuit when car is off to prevent anti-run on. Will run with it disconnected, won't idle, and runs poorly.1648f0cd8e6dc5913d3d2f30889418c6.jpg

Red wire from carb is the throttle position sensor/switch. Pretty sure it only knows if throttle is on or off.fb72d5bafdda1f42ec42332506956655.jpg

Yellow wire is 7V supply to auto choke from carb. Only hooked up for this photo I have the choke wound way way way off and the yellow wire off normally.0e98720a57412d1d74313360a44f1179.jpg

This shows dizzy plug, on the dizzy itself, temp sensor wire (red one going to front of motor) and another emmisions connector, something to do with charcoal cannister I think.212f511121eae57b3f7628f48fd456b2.jpg

Another connector here for something. No idea what.651c0e325424882264f7cb1319b90b9e.jpg

Completely forgot to get a photo the other day.

My ute doesn't have, and has never had AC so can't help with that much. It is a 89 model so has EST, and did have plenty of emmisons rubbish that I've removed

Overviewd97062776417463f6b729f8d4938d510.jpg

These are either for AC (never fitted) or a PTC heater that was definitely on early 3.3L and I've heard some late model 4.1 had them as emmision control? It was basically a heated element for while the car was cold. Either way mine doesn't have it there.

b2f69d4133f94949f53fb63044a7bc99.jpg

Fuel cut off solenoid. Closes off the fuel circuit when car is off to prevent anti-run on. Will run with it disconnected, won't idle, and runs poorly.1648f0cd8e6dc5913d3d2f30889418c6.jpg

Red wire from carb is the throttle position sensor/switch. Pretty sure it only knows if throttle is on or off.fb72d5bafdda1f42ec42332506956655.jpg

Yellow wire is 7V supply to auto choke from carb. Only hooked up for this photo I have the choke wound way way way off and the yellow wire off normally.0e98720a57412d1d74313360a44f1179.jpg

This shows dizzy plug, on the dizzy itself, temp sensor wire (red one going to front of motor) and another emmisions connector, something to do with charcoal cannister I think.212f511121eae57b3f7628f48fd456b2.jpg

Another connector here for something. No idea what.651c0e325424882264f7cb1319b90b9e.jpg
Thanks heaps mate. Very informative I'm on the right track now