Server maintenance Read more... ×
Fingers

EST or Electronic distributor

Gday

The 250 in my 89 XF ute is dying (low compression on #2 and heaps of blowby)

I have a super fuel XF Fairmont parts car that I am going to swap the engine out of as a stopgap until I get around to building a better engine (compression, cam, 4 barrel, etc.)

Am I better off sticking with the EST set up as original in the ute, or change to the electronic distributor with it's built in advance mechanism?

All points of view appreciated

if the EST works fine, keep it. because it works fine. 

the leaded dissy also works fine, if you want to use it just join the 2 wires to the coil as it is now.

the engines aren't very different, other than rear main seal, maybe flywheel bolt size and various vacuum hose layout.. 

If the est is working then leave it.  If it's not then you could use the xe magnetic dizzy.  Just make sure it's in good condition and keep the revs sensible. 

Dont throw the est dizzy away - you will need it when you do the built motor.

Ok, I haven't checked the operation of the EST.

14 hours ago, ando76 said:

If the est is working then leave it.  If it's not then you could use the xe magnetic dizzy.  Just make sure it's in good condition and keep the revs sensible. 

Dont throw the est dizzy away - you will need it when you do the built motor.

The revs will be kept sensible

16 hours ago, deankdx said:

the leaded dissy also works fine, if you want to use it just join the 2 wires to the coil as it is now.

the engines aren't very different, other than rear main seal, maybe flywheel bolt size and various vacuum hose layout.. 

However, that is the info I am after if the EST isn't well.

That way it will be easy to change back once I get the built engine in.

BTW Ando, I never throw anything away :)

So, further on that. With a 10.0 to 1 comp engine, 230 deg at .050 '530 lift cam, 650 cfm 4 barrel style engine that will probably only be revved to 6000

rpm, would a standard 4.1 manual EST put out a reasonable curve?

What's this do? I removed it along with the pollution gear and the Weber and installed a holley. The car seems to run fine without it. I can't even remember how it was connected. 751818aefc51a863e2f3da9579ed8a3e.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

What's this do? I removed it along with the pollution gear and the Weber and installed a holley. The car seems to run fine without it. I can't even remember how it was connected. 751818aefc51a863e2f3da9579ed8a3e.jpg

That's an ignition module for a Bosch reluctor type distributor. The module is basically a transistor that takes a small, pulsed voltage signal from the reluctor (the pointy wheel inside the dizzy) and turns it into a strong on/off 12v signal to the coil primary to create your sparks. The fact that you removed it says that it wasn't hooked up to start with.

Sent from my CPH1903 using Tapatalk

That's an ignition module for a Bosch reluctor type distributor. The module is basically a transistor that takes a small, pulsed voltage signal from the reluctor (the pointy wheel inside the dizzy) and turns it into a strong on/off 12v signal to the coil primary to create your sparks. The fact that you removed it says that it wasn't hooked up to start with.

Cheers for info. I thought it may have been running but need that make it better.

My est dizzy doesn't have the pointy wheel inside. Does that mean I only need to worry about the est plug?

56 minutes ago, GregHamilton said:

My est dizzy doesn't have the pointy wheel inside. Does that mean I only need to worry about the est plug?

are you sure you removed THAT part, i'm guessing you may have removed the map sensor? from the firewall?

the EST dizzy doesn't have the ign module on the side of it to remove it..

s-l500.jpg

are you sure you removed THAT part, i'm guessing you may have removed the map sensor? from the firewall?
the EST dizzy doesn't have the ign module on the side of it to remove it..

s-l500.jpg
Yeah it could have been that. What does that do? It was on the firewall on the passenger side.

3 minutes ago, GregHamilton said:

Yeah it could have been that. What does that do? It was on the firewall on the passenger side.

yeah it's the Map sensor then. 
i don't know what it does on a carby XF, but it's only on the models with the EST dissy. (not the older ones) 

i'd assume it has something to do with the ignition timing, as i don't expect it could control anything on a carby otherwise. @gerg might know. i never removed anything if it worked..ford spent millions or more inventing this crap

i don't know what it does on a carby XF, but it's only on the models with the EST dissy. (not the older ones) 
i'd assume it has something to do with the ignition timing, as i don't expect it could control anything on a carby otherwise.@gerg might know. i never removed anything if it worked..ford spent millions or more inventing this crap

I'll go to the wreckers tomorrow and get one and see if I can find where it plugs in to.

2 minutes ago, GregHamilton said:

I'll go to the wreckers tomorrow and get one and see if I can find where it plugs in to.

it just has a vacuum hose and a plug.. but no idea where the plug goes into.. assuming it's part of the EST wiring

1 hour ago, GregHamilton said:

I know where I put it, tucked it away under >>>>>there

the old .. hidden wiring hunt.. 

@BGDAV drove me nuts because he hid the wires for the speedo sender lol.. makes it hard to tap into when the plug and the loom are completely GONE from the engine bay lol. 

i'd assume it has something to do with the ignition timing, as i don't expect it could control anything on a carby otherwise.@gerg might know. i never removed anything if it worked..ford spent millions or more inventing this crap

I believe EST on XFs was only on carby models. EFI got a different motorcraft system that ties into the EECIV computer.

The XE EFI version had a Jetronic analog computer that may have had EST separately. If so, the Jetronic would be fuel only.@SPArKy_Dave may have the correct answer to this

EST = XF unleaded Carby

TFI = XF EFI (all)

Vac advance = XF leaded Carby

Different vac advance dizzy - XE Carby and EFI

I have a bosch ignition catalogue,

which shows the different part numbers, across the years.

EST = XF unleaded Carby
TFI = XF EFI (all)
Vac advance = XF leaded Carby
Different vac advance dizzy - XE Carby and EFI

I have a bosch ignition catalogue,
which shows the different part numbers, across the years.
Do I run a vacuum line from the map sensor to the manifold?

On 1/25/2020 at 9:29 PM, deankdx said:

the old .. hidden wiring hunt.. 

@BGDAV drove me nuts because he hid the wires for the speedo sender lol.. makes it hard to tap into when the plug and the loom are completely GONE from the engine bay lol. 

To be fair I did leave it for 3 years and forgot what I did 🤷‍♂️