MatthewXD302c

302 Cleveland Build

i don't recommend extractors, i hate them. crack, hard to fit/remove, go rusty.. cost $500. not needed on a mild engine, 

you'll have to just join some facebook pages i think, ask for recomendations and when you get them, google them for reviews.. a lot of mobs aren't interested in working on old cars for starters. 

for example you could go to experts like di fillipo exhausts, if they are still as good as they used to be 20yrs ago, they'd be worth talking to. https://www.exhaustshop.com.au/di-filippo

they won't be cheap at all.. 
if you just want it to sound good, any exhaust mob should be able to bend up a twin 2.25" system (no ballance pipe if you want it to sound more lopy) or a single 2.5 inch (3inch if ever going to work the engine later)  

a single 2.5" cost me $250 ish from Sth Geelong exhausts from the Y pipe back about 10yrs ago with a glass pack muffler on My lexus V8 falcon

can hear it here(had stock manifolds and cats)

Agree with Dean, don't spend money on the 302. Drive it, enjoy it, marvel at it's dinosaur technology, and sit in the shed listening to it idle.

Stock manifolds into a twin system, shotgun pipes out the drivers side, ring a cam company like Crow or Crane, they will help you.

They also do a budget version of their stuff, like Megatork and Blue Racer, using the same billet parts, but in a brown paper bag.

If you have spare cash, fit a 2,500 stally, and 3.45 - 3.55 rear end, that should keep you happy. Wait until you've done your sentence.......err......I meant apprenticeship, and while you're working, buy a part or two every month, and stick them in the cupboard. Edelbrock do a similar carby (Thermoquad) for around $500 from Summit, or stick with the 600 Holley, Dont go bigger.

The 302C was a dog of an engine, destroked from it's Father the almighty 351, to appease the 'law makers' of the '70's. Sure, they can be made to go fast, but not on a tight budget.

Keep the heads..!  

Manifolds will simplify things a lot, but they are a shit shape for performance. Extractors come into effect the more you play with cams, get it breathing better, etc. You might see a 5% increase by bolting on a set, but you need to ask yourself if that's worth the money and headache of fitting them and living with the extra heat under the bonnet.

As Dean said, any exhaust shop should be able to bend up a mild steel system easily, possibly using as much of what's already there as possible. If you look at what size exhaust manufacturers use, say on a BA 6, they put out roughly the power yours would realistically make so that size single would suffice. Twins are nice but hard to package in a XD-E-F sedan.

If a lopey idle and good mid-range is what you want, a cam with a 108 lobe centre and around 220 degrees @ 0.050" would do that. Pretty much what I suggested before.

Carby would need adapting from square (600) to spreadbore (stock manifold). Adaptors are available, but get a 4-hole or split one, not open. If you know someone who knows how to reco the thermoqad, go for it, but they're getting pretty thin on the ground now, both usable carbies and people who know them. Great carby once sorted. Rated at 780 CFM, plenty big for most street engines.

Sent from my CPH1607 using Tapatalk

twins fit on XDs i thought? in the XY GT style through the leaf spring and out under the quarters.. (can't remember, i ran a single 2.5 on My XD 351 also)

if you want noise and don't mind risking a canary? (car in rwc otherwise) dump it before the diff .. 

BGDAV below has had several exhaust setups on an engine no one can afford.. (not even Dave)

but this was twin pipes dumping under the car before the diff with turndowns straight off the mufflers(makes a dust storm on gravel) 

we couldn't hear eachother almost, but this car makes heaps of noise.. he's gone to a tailpipe and varex mufflers now to quiet it down)

11 hours ago, deankdx said:

twins fit on XDs i thought? 

but this was twin pipes dumping under the car before the diff with turndowns straight off the mufflers(makes a dust storm on gravel) 

Exhaust shops don't like fitting the passenger side pipe, because it runs next to the plastic fuel tank.

Had these on the XB, got sick of cleaning the car, so changed them to straight out the back. :lol:

14 hours ago, deankdx said:

twins fit on XDs i thought? in the XY GT style through the leaf spring and out under the quarters.. (can't remember, i ran a single 2.5 on My XD 351 also)

if you want noise and don't mind risking a canary? (car in rwc otherwise) dump it before the diff .. 

BGDAV below has had several exhaust setups on an engine no one can afford.. (not even Dave)

we couldn't hear eachother almost, but this car makes heaps of noise.. he's gone to a tailpipe and varex mufflers now to quiet it down)

Dont want to risk a canary, red P Plates are a cop magnet let alone a XD that turns heads with an exhaust leak and a fucked up paint job. Well the paint ain't to bad I must admit. This is mine 

13 hours ago, FORDxdGHIA said:

Dont want to risk a canary, red P Plates are a cop magnet let alone a XD that turns heads with an exhaust leak and a fucked up paint job. Well the paint ain't to bad I must admit. This is mine 

That is sweeeet...........  don't change a thing. (Just respray and 351.) Beautiful car.

12 hours ago, MatthewXD302c said:

Will something like this give me a good note to the old 302? https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com.au%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F112057002092

This is from the thomastown exhaust shop you were talking about sparky.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Yes, it would.

That's probably the exact exhaust system, I'd fit to a V8 XD sedan. :)

I agree with the boys, decent tuned carb goes along way to a nice driving and performing car.

I still have to say the best bang for buck performance upgrade is diff gears for that stop start acceleration, and yeah the trade off is that you will rev higher on the open road.

When I put the 3:45 XG diff in my XD back when it had a stock 302c and C4, it could keep up with a stock VT LS SS until about 80-90kmh.

I would worry about a stall converter if the motor is stock.

Camshaft, as the boys have said don’t go too big or it will be a pig, unless it’s all built to match.

Plenty of us have done the E series/XG diff swaps and can help with advice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Definitely want swapped diff gears, so your saying dont even bother with even a 2000 stall converter? I also messaged crow cams to see if they make a lopey cam for a 302c stock and they do.

If it still has a standard timing set replacing it with an aftermarket unit will liven it up (the stock timing sets in pollution era clevo moved the cam timing and turned them into duds) that, a good tune and an exhaust is all I would bother with on a 302 especially if later down the track you want to build a 351 for it, but also if that is the plan you can buy things for the 302 you can use on the 351 later on (things like intake/ carb/extractors and ignition system) also there are good bargains to be had buying second hand, like extractors and such can be had many hundreds of dollars cheaper

12 hours ago, Thom said:

If it still has a standard timing set replacing it with an aftermarket unit will liven it up (the stock timing sets in pollution era clevo moved the cam timing and turned them into duds) that, a good tune and an exhaust is all I would bother with on a 302 especially if later down the track you want to build a 351 for it, but also if that is the plan you can buy things for the 302 you can use on the 351 later on (things like intake/ carb/extractors and ignition system) also there are good bargains to be had buying second hand, like extractors and such can be had many hundreds of dollars cheaper

What extractors do you recommend because I heard not to worry about extractors at all.

12 hours ago, Thom said:

And what's a timing set? Looked it up all that comes up is timing chains.

And what's a timing set? Looked it up all that comes up is timing chains.
Timing set = timing chain and gears, a rollmaster dual row roller set is a decent start
What extractors do you recommend because I heard not to worry about extractors at all.
Extractors depend on your end goal for the engine

21 hours ago, SPArKy_Dave said:

Alloy Head badges on the front guards?

If it's still a crossflow, why not make that go fast?

One of our other club members. has a very weathered silver XD Ghia, with a pretty stout Crossflow in it.

thread here for that one, it's awesome.. don't paint it

0FAD9E9A-C85C-44CC-9A02-FB5411AC402A.jpg

Nah I want to, dosnt look to good. Obviously keeping it silver but I'm going to de badge the whole thing and remove the chrome trim from the sides. Also do some work in the interior since the drivers seat etc has a couple holes in them as well as the headlining.
Does anyone know what colour interior this is, someone mentioned it to me a couple years ago but I have forgotten.28e51ae48ab8f39077d04404210634c5.jpg

Yeah, timing chain on a stocky is a Morse chain, (multi link) and the gears are coated with a synthetic fibre, made for maximum quiet. 

Grab a rollmaster , JP or a Crow as Thom said, they will bolt straight onto a 351. Same as intake manifold, heads, ignition, exhaust etc......

Think your interior is Dove grey.  My FC was the same, Dan @SLO247 would know, he's got the same colour.  Cant beat the Fairmont Ghia in silver (IMHO.) :wub:

don't get rid of any of the moulding or badges, the ghia is rare now, and down the track you or someone buying may want to try return it to stock .  

the ghia seat trim is also rare(i had a burgundy XD ghia with the grey trim and worn drivers seat 20yrs ago) was rare then.. keep the trim if you ever redo the seats in something else(seat cloth stores easier than the full seats if keeping them original other than the trim)

go buy a couple of big plastic tubs from supercheap and anything that comes off stash away for later. be worth something also down the track if not now. 

personally i'd just cruise it as is, you'll get a lot of respect for it as is i think