Server maintenance Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
BGDAV

Alternator gurus need help

ok so i bought a brand new 140 powermaster from rocket - i have since sent it back - these are the tests i have done - 

just to clarify - tried two different multimeters, different batteries, two cars

car 1 - red car (previously worked perfectly for alternator with wiring) 

upgraded alt to fuse block with 6awg welding wire as spec via powermaster - also earthed alt to block (earth check confirms working) 

battery charged for 3 days

12.4v on battery, 12.4v on top of fuse block, 12.4v on bottom of fuse (changed fuse aswell) 12.4v on back of alternator 

(according to powermaster if it senses .20v it will start working, does not need a sense wire ) ran to geelong and back, volts did not work, i checked via holley + via volts gauge, was lowering

car 2- different battery

put on f100 351 - bolted on , instantly got 19v on the battery , battery was 12.4v with car off - alternator regularor fucked? even if red car wiring was fked, it should of not ever got to 19v

rule out red car wiring- old alternator 

onto red car, disconnected the wiring, jumper leads from alternator to new battery on stand, 12.4v with car off, 12.4v with car on no change - 

any other checks i missed? ive conacted rocket and sent it back, they are telling me its charging fine .. which i cannot explain, powermaster also said it was fked from my trouble shooting 

Yea I had a chrome one that died on me and bought a new one but can't get it to work - contacted power master, sent it back and they r saying it works fine - trying to work out how when I have tested everything 

spoke to rocket - they say its charging correctly 

and now saying cause i have a fuse inline (which has 12.4 v either side of the fuse) and 12.4 at battery and alternator post - its my fault its not working .. i get their side of it, but i showed multiple examples of why its faulty including that its producing 19v which a alternator never should - hopefully ebay rules in my favour and rocket can get fked