SPACK

Xf A/C COMPRESSOR

Is there any difference in the A/C COMPRESSORS in the XF series....I need an A/C COMPRESSOR for my XF..EFI, And EBAY WANTS nearly $700 for one...

you used to be able to buy rebuild kits for them, they seem to be the most common compressor to be stuffed. (out of 10 XFs i had, only one had working air con compressor and that's likely because the guy i bought it off would have paid $700 if need be to fix it)

there's a universal sandon one that would fit in the spot(would need hoses re made) and be much better.. depends how original you want it.. 

finding one used, XF falcon, fairmont etc, Fairlane ZL, and FE LTD are all the same, but fair chance they'll need rebuilding also

i've never rebuilt one, i did fit an XE one to one of My XFs once with one of the hoses being remade(the rubber part changed where they crack anyway near the exhaust) and cant remember if the other hose was possible to use a combination of XE and XF pipes or if i had that one made also. ($150 in hoses, $100 regas etc)

I’ve been told that if there is no gas in the system then it won’t let the clutch engage to drive the compressor. Doesn’t the gas have oil in it to help lubricate the compressor therefore if it ran without gas it could do damage to it. Someone may have to confirm this but I’m 80% sure that it’s correct.

there's a pressure switch, it's up in one of the pipes with the sight glass from memory near the firewall. 

if there is no gas in the system(because the compressor leaks, or condensor leaks, or evaporator leaks, or the shraeder valve like a tyre has leaks or a hose is split or o ring.. etc.. )

if there is no gas, it won't engage.

the compressors are meant to have some oil in them, but the gas is also a lubricant in later gases i think. 

get it checked by an air con mob, most will put a small amount of gas in and check for leaks either with a dye or sniffer or both. if you can see obvious oil stains on the condensor in front of radiator it's likely it has a hole in it (also) 

i thought you must have had the compressor tested to want another, get it checked by an air con mob.

just be prepared, a lot will want to change TX valve regardless, same for receiver dryer if it's been disconnected especially(while engine removed etc) some may want every o ring changed, because the new gas eats the old ones(some mobs will just gas it and say, see how it goes... one of mine with old o rings lasted years and i sold the car still with working air con.. )

OK, so its been gassed, the vacuum is holding, but apparently half of the lines are missing and a VACUUM canister is missing..SO I have to find these things geez..

it should work without the vacuum canister(if plugged off not to leak) will just affect air vents to go to screen when going up a hill possibly?

take a pic of what lines you have, they don't need much, 
green goes to heater tap, black goes to manifold vacuum, orange i never figured out but @Panko has an EFI XF that might be able to help

He said some lines, T pieces and that vacuum canister. Actually any one got an exploded view of an XF showing the vacuum lines under the bonnet..?

Only the Leaded XF's, ran the vacuum canister in the plenum, to my knowledge.
Later XF's had the vacuum canister located on top of the heater box, inside the vehicle - same with XG's.

What do they reckon is missing?
My old Ghia had the vacuum tank in the plenum, that was unleaded EFI.

On 9/19/2018 at 11:02 AM, deankdx said:

it should work without the vacuum canister(if plugged off not to leak) will just affect air vents to go to screen when going up a hill possibly?

take a pic of what lines you have, they don't need much, 
green goes to heater tap, black goes to manifold vacuum, orange i never figured out but @Panko has an EFI XF that might be able to help

At the moment its just going to the windscreen ....THE FAN WHEN ITS SWITCHED ON, THAT IS...I dont know how to get the photos working on this site,..so i cant put a photo up to even show you..

if you have a mobile phone and can access ozfalcon.com.au on it, then if you get the tapatalk app you can upload directly with that program(i haven't tried it, i use imgur.com

if its only on the screen, you could have the black vacuum hose disconnected. it comes out of the firewall opposite the glove box and goes to the inlet manifold, also behind the glovebox there is a multi hose plug, i have had the black hose pull out of it also. (superglue it in, without blocking it with glue)

@SPArKy_Dave my XF has the vacuum tank in the plenum. 

@deankdx I used to have an issue where the engine under heavy loads, would lose enough vacuum (i assume) from the tank and yes the vents would default back to the windscreen until i could build some vacuum back up in the tank