Server maintenance Read more... ×

15 hours ago, gavinmcmillan said:

Well i got it running, the timing is way off though and it needs to be at very high revs to hold idle. It was making a fair bit of noise so took off the rocker cover. There is a fair bit of play between some of the push rods and the rockers and some of them aren't pushing oil through (3 of them). Does this indicate an issue with the hydraulic lifters?

i'd say all in all the engines pretty stuffed lol

i'd consider pulling the pushrods out, they are made of cheese, so can bend easy

i doubt loose ones will get a good enough seal to feed oil to the rockers, maybe that's part of the need for preload?

Well it’s been a fair bit of kicking around and not much closer, after getting it to idle it’s not starting again.

i feel like my only options are to swap it out or rebuild it. Rebuilding kind of appeals to me because I’ve never done it before and I’m keen to learn.

Does anyone have a guide for rebuilding these?

I figured I’d get a working engine first before rebuilding the current.
Nah you will be fine rebuilding that one it wont take long to strip it down and start off inspecting the bores

Sent from my SM-G570Y using Tapatalk

Well it’s been a fair bit of kicking around and not much closer, after getting it to idle it’s not starting again.

i feel like my only options are to swap it out or rebuild it. Rebuilding kind of appeals to me because I’ve never done it before and I’m keen to learn.

If it's just a slapper stock-for-stock rebuild, you really can't go wrong on these. Very good beginner's engine. They're as simple as a 6-cylinder can get, with very little in the way of traps and special tricks needed. The only one I can think of is water pump bolts. Make sure you don't put the long one where the short one is supposed to go. You'll punch a lovely little hole in # 1 cylinder.

Sent from my CPH1607 using Tapatalk

You can do it.  Get a workshop manual, a socket set and a torque wrench. You'll need a full gasket set, rings and bearings to start off with, so price them up.
Yup i have rebuilt quite a few make sure you put new lifters in b4 head goes back on or gets a bit tricky

48 minutes ago, bear351c said:

You can do it.  Get a workshop manual, a socket set and a torque wrench. You'll need a full gasket set, rings and bearings to start off with, so price them up.

Cheers, are there any kits I can buy that come with all the pieces as a start? Any idea on what I should budget?

Cheers, are there any kits I can buy that come with all the pieces as a start? Any idea on what I should budget?
$600 will do the lot or $1000 if buying a new cam n lifters which i would recommend

3 hours ago, gavinmcmillan said:

if it has compression and spark and fuel it should run.. won't need rebuilding unless compression is down or its' rattling or worn out. 

3 hours ago, gavinmcmillan said:

I figured I’d get a working engine first before rebuilding the current.

if it doesn't run now due to a fuel or electrical issue, a fully rebuilt engine still wont run.

46 minutes ago, CHESTNUTXE said:

$600 will do the lot or $1000 if buying a new cam n lifters which i would recommend

with reco head, ign, bored and new pistons, reground crank, new rings and bearings,cam and lifter, dissy gear, belts, thermostat, heater tap, spark plugs, leads, cap and rotor button, radiator cap,  new water pump, welsh plugs, paint, oil, filters, coolant, hoses,fuel pump, and fuel line, cables(if accel cable looks worn you'd change it, ratiator clean or replace, .  

you can easily be WELL above $3000. .

i'd start with diagnosing it's issue first. it may be a $300 repair that needs doing regardless of if the engine needs rebuilding

47 minutes ago, gavinmcmillan said:

see post above.. depends what you want to do..