Server maintenance Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
eattsie9

Additional Gauges Thread

Hey Folks,

I'm seeking some inspiration/ideas.

Show us your gauge installs. What gauges have you gone with? oil pressure? Engine temp? Fuel pressure? And how/where have you mounted them?

What gauges and pods or mounts did you use? How/where did you hook them up? What did you find worked or didn't work?

Keen to see what's been done.

Cheers

Sent from my HTC 2PS6200 using Tapatalk

What you gunna put them in..............XF ?

Console ?

In dash ?

A-pillar ?

I usually like water temp, oil pressure, voltmeter and a Tacho, as a bare minimum. Regulations are different in some states, fuel pressure must be out side the cabin in SA, but, very handy if you have a heavy right foot. Trans temp too, if you have an auto.

i've always gone with the stock sports dash clusters because not a racecar. 

the XF i had was different though, because the s pack cluster were very prone to issues (bad solder joints and tarnish on connections)  i ended up adapting an XG cluster to mine, definitely wasn't easy to do. 

yeah, what do you want to do? and what car? 

do you like the A pillar guages? and the monster tacho on the column covering the fuel or temp guage? (first thing i'd remove if i got a car like that) 
ripping the ash tray out of the console and fitting 3 guages there is neat, volts guage i particularly use.. if it's always on 13 ish(less with lights on etc) and suddenly its down to 12 or less you look at the temp guage and open the bonnet see if the belt is still connected etc.

other guages i like are oil pressure (because the oil pressure switch for the standard light has fucked up twice, leaks huge amounts of oil out, could kill an engine... and light didn't come on)

if you have plenty of money the AFR gauge is handy to see if the engine is running lean or rich.. (can do this on a dyno for cheaper probably and car will be tuned to its potential) 

Will be for xf. Not interested in a monster tacho it's not a sex spec lancer after all. If I was going to add an aftermarket one it would be smaller and a bit more subtle then that.

Not sure on location or which gauges which is why I'm keen to see/hear what others have done.

I'm leaning towards triple gauges in individual pods on the outside Infront of windscreen. And then gauges I'm tossing up between oil pressure, water temp, fuel pressure and volts.

Sent from my HTC 2PS6200 using Tapatalk

if you are mounting them on the outside, beware the bonnet doesn't hit them, and try make the bracket off the underside of the bonnet if on bonnet or wiper vent(don't butcher the paint) 

usually oil, and fuel are only done outside, because you aren't meant to have fluid type gauges inside the car.