Server maintenance Read more... ×
CHESTNUTXE

WINDSOR SMALLBLOCK TALK

Yes still have the pulleys, I got the correct spacer but have kept the gilmour styled belt as it runs mint and doesn’t jump off, once it was aligned properly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GT40Ps I think are close to 200 cfm, probably what a good set of untouched open 2V clevos flow.

Sent from my CPH1903 using Tapatalk

I finaly bought a long 1/4 extension for sump bolts as i scratched the paint off the sump and had to re paint it ,lesson learned again ,just waiting on rocker covers and intake gaskets then its all donecdf9d2dc5db1741eb16b81999b58f9bd.jpg9509a179863125fa9a504ef528dd3564.jpg

Sent from my SM-G570Y using Tapatalk

I finaly bought a long 1/4 extension for sump bolts as i scratched the paint off the sump and had to re paint it ,lesson learned again ,just waiting on rocker covers and intake gaskets then its all donecdf9d2dc5db1741eb16b81999b58f9bd.jpg9509a179863125fa9a504ef528dd3564.jpg

My rocker cover kit came just plain n simple good value at $100 comes with bolts breathers gromets almost finished8f317694ca17155ae572b87df9b649c3.jpga6051e40f22930f9cceb221cc739fd12.jpgaae41d1fa8b36cbe88a6093913269d4f.jpgb8930df8022937df0ddcb94c723c3bf6.jpg

hey what is the go with e series v8 dizzys i have done some looking up and found my late model block needs a speacial dizzy ,because was efi ,doesnt seem many distributer options,but what concernes me is this was a au block the last of 302w efi,will a dizzy even fit or is it the same as e series ?

2 minutes ago, CHESTNUTXE said:

will a dizzy even fit or is it the same as e series ?

I don't see why not mate, mic the stab hole and check the hold-down. I think they're the same from memory but may be wrong.

there is decent e bay one when swapping efi/carby for $170 with coil ,then a nice msd unit for $550,but im trying to get that old look ,surley some does a retro efi/carby dizzy so it looks like the real deal,if i can find a nice blue cap dizzy with vaccum advance i will be stoked.

maybe i could look on some usa mustang sites for that type of dizzy,there must be something,also a set of cast iron 302w 1989 exhaust manifolds are up the road for sale but would the gt40p heads suit them ? 

Cast don't work with P heads to my knowledge mate, the plugs have dramas with them. Factory headers or modifying tube steel aftermarket is the best bet. Factory headers for the AU sucked though, spindly buggers designed out of the US to cope with about 220hp from the Mustang GT. We need a tad more for our application. I'm looking for a 'clipster' style header that may work with modificiation.

For the dizzy I've been able to find this:

"It turns out that, no matter what the guy at the Ford parts counter and the kid at Schucks tell you, 302 and 351W distributors are NOT interchangeable, and the diameter of the distributor shaft in the 5.0 H.O. varies -- the 1987 and up 5.0, and 351W, shafts are .51" diameter, and the pre-1987 5.0 and 302 shafts are .49" diameter. The later dizzys will NOT fit the earlier blocks. Period.

Plus, the diameter of the hex driver for the oil pump varies from year to year, as well. Because of the sump location in the 1978 pan -- I had to use the '78 oil pan because of tranny clearance issues in my Mustang II -- I had to use the 1978 oil pump, which uses a 1/4" drive shaft, not the 5/16" shaft on the 1987-up blocks. Mallory et al do not appear to make a small-shaft 5.0 distributor; much less one that fits the 1/4" oil pump driver. At least, not that I'm aware of."

So earlier shafts are smaller, later ones are larger, and the oil drives are slightly different. But if looks like for our application all that should be the same.

Again, I don't see why we can't simply stab a dizzy in. Why would they change the block, from a financial mega-corp 'cent save is dollars earned' point of view, when they have to make a new part anyway and can simply design it to suit to existing block?

I think the biggest issue we have is the steel gear - make sure you have the right gear for the (hyd roller) cam, as per usual.

Any 302w dizzy will fit, a steel gear is recommended, just make sure the hex drive is the right size as that is what can vary.

Don’t be a cheap ass and get procomp...

I aint gettin a procomp,so any dizzy will fit ? the fkn steel gear is very expensive,cant i use the gear that came off the original dizzy drive thing,and now that the bottom end is all done  i cant measure the oil pump drive or can i > look at the bottom of the old dizzy drive maybe.

If you are using the original cam then take the gear of the AU piece and put on another dizzy. Just make sure the shaft size is the same.

The steel gears use to be about $40, that was 10 years ago for me. I used Mallory steel gear and a Mallory dizzy and the roll pin had to be re drilled to suit.