Server maintenance Read more... ×
CHESTNUTXE

WINDSOR SMALLBLOCK TALK

From the factory they have 155cc intake and flow a tad under 200cfm at .500 lift through a small 1.85 intake valve.

Which isn’t too bad really for a little factory Windsor considering a stock 2V Cleveland head flows the same.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

From the factory they have 155cc intake and flow a tad under 200cfm at .500 lift through a small 1.85 intake valve.

Which isn’t too bad really for a little factory Windsor considering a stock 2V Cleveland head flows the same.

200 is definitely none too shabby, earlier Windsors I think were in the 150s, 351Ws maybe high 170s, 4V Clevos were up around 260. 2Vs aren't as good as you think, I believe Aussie castings were in the low 180s. US ones around 200. I think our casting methods and bowl work left much to be desired on our 2Vs. I reckon mine being very mildly ported puts them up around the 200 mark (of course not tested).

I can see why GT40Ps were sought after in the day. Sort of like how Vortech heads are to Chev guys... Cheap, factory made upgrades.

Sent from my CPH1903 using Tapatalk

Just reading about the 302 boss from 1969/70, rated at 290hp at 5200, great advertising by ford to try and pull the wool over the eyes of the muscle car haters and insurance companies back in the day, that motor could spin to 8000.

Just reading about the 302 boss from 1969/70, rated at 290hp at 5200, great advertising by ford to try and pull the wool over the eyes of the muscle car haters and insurance companies back in the day, that motor could spin to 8000.

I think the street-going engines were tamed with a rather mild camshaft (to retain a stock-like valvetrain) something like 228 @ 0.050" and around 0.500" lift on a solid cam, and with a very wide 114 LSA (probably for smog). But yes I have seen figures of 370 HP in street trim (at over 6000 rpm) so Ford was still grossly underrating this engine.

Still, at that rpm, the heads are just starting to work properly yet the cam would be strangling them. The race engines were good for over 500 HP at around 7500, so obviously had a cam with better lift and overlap to take advantage of the breathing. They would be a dog on the street though.

i was looking at what is involved to modify a set of 2v closed chamber heads,block off the water jacket and mill where needed at intake side for coolant,late model alloy heads have the best of both worlds can make a clevor easy but pricey,can imagine the 2v would be good on the street,but you need a special piston to suit canted valves and factory motors used 289 rods,but TRW does a mock boss piston to suit the std 302 rod as most mock motors would be doing this as 289 rods are not as easy to find,then the cam not sure if it would be clevo or winsor firing order,but a nice hyd roller and bolt on roller rockers would be fine for a street car,it has been done before but all that work just to have a boss 302 ? probly just as easy to chux in a 331 stroker kit and same hp it is.

i bet there is hardly anyone on this site  that has actually seen a boss 302 in the flesh,very rare in aus,gerg also knows about the tunnel port 302 

I know of a made up boss using 2V Cleveland and 302w bottom end in an XY.

Runs a toploader and a 9 inch, made 290hp at the wheels at 5500rpm.

For the money you would spend on setting up Cleveland heads you could put some Trickflow 11r Windsor heads on the 302w for probably less money and have more power.

Not that special nowadays...... 4 bolt mains, screw in welsh plugs, 7/16" rocker bolts etc. Can all be done in a machine shop, but, obviously without the bragging rights.

Would be nice to own one, and sit it in the corner of the shed, and stare at it. 

Not that special nowadays...... 4 bolt mains, screw in welsh plugs, 7/16" rocker bolts etc. Can all be done in a machine shop, but, obviously without the bragging rights.

Would be nice to own one, and sit it in the corner of the shed, and stare at it. 
Done some more cleaning i find these lifter holders interesting 2937f621c08c4f80ec50014cd61e3694.jpg1e69258fb6333ffcc276901d4d750fa1.jpgccad265ec0ae3a92b776da885d4580d7.jpg

Sent from my SM-G570Y using Tapatalk

i bet there is hardly anyone on this site  that has actually seen a boss 302 in the flesh,very rare in aus,gerg also knows about the tunnel port 302 
Might have seen a Boss mustang at a car show or something, but otherwise just read shitloads about them. The Boss block is really nothing more than a tunnel port ie: high nickel, forged crank, hipo rods with 3/8 bolts, thicker deck, etc

last night i was trolling thru you tube and found a video on this rare boss 302 engine and assorted full factory race parts,very interesting video with so many nos parts in boxes ,like the CROSS BOSS intake,plus 8 autolite  carby trumpet stacks.

I’ve seen some really cool builds on the net for the little Windsor, one liked the most was:
Dart block 4.125 bore
Steel 302 size crank
Alloy Cleveland style heads etc
Big roller cam
Comes out at around 330ci

Made just under 800hp on engine dyno. Wasn’t street friendly.

Anyone know the bore and stroke and in a Ford 5.0 V8 supercar? I’m thinking the biggest bore possible around 4.185 and a stroke of 2.8 inch or similar???

i can imagine that engine sings to 8000 odd,i have caught smallblock fever this month,so many builds and mustangs out there on you tube,its like going shopping at a massive supermarket where you dont have to worry will it fit a cleveland,im still trying to find a 1v set up for my pulleys,seems only the early smallblocks had the 3 bolt balancer.

You can get four bolt pulleys, I have a set. The issue is that there’s different depth water pumps and balancers, is getting them to line up is a pain. You can get spaces though.

That’s why I run a gilmour belt.

If I could ever build another Windsor it would be pretty much what I described above.

There is a local factory Boss 302 is a street/circuit car has drag raced it a few times,

Have thought a few times of getting my bros spare 5.0lt, basic reco with 230°ish cam, some Aeroflow alloy heads or AFD alloys, air gap or victor jr & maybe some nitrous...

another idea was Aussie Speed Boss 302 hi rise to suit 2V Cleveland heads, & SRP BOSS 302 piston to suit Aussie 2v heads (302C closed chamber) 3.5cc dome,

As for porting I brought a Makita 240V 1/4" die grinder (GD0600) & a long shank burr, heaps nicer then waiting on the compressor to try & keep up with my bluepoint die grinder.

Cleaning up the exhaust side is where you get good gains on these heads.

Plus some intake match porting should give them some flow over the std e7

Plus some intake match porting should give them some flow over the std e7

These are the pipes that came off the au ltd they seem factory and bigger than the eb onesba5a4811474dfee6a2c14a8cc9e42d3f.jpg