Server maintenance Read more... ×
CHESTNUTXE

WINDSOR SMALLBLOCK TALK

So... if I get a 50 ounce balancer for the 5.0L Windsor I'll need a neutral balance 157 tooth flywheel? 

Is that how it works?

- boingk

50oz both ends, what size bell housing are you going to run, that will determine the size of flex plate or flywheel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

All Ford smallblocks are externally balanced (perhaps not the Y-block....@Thom ?). If you look on the back of the flywheel, it will have a lump cast into it that lines up with the crank counterweight between the rear rod journals. The same goes for the lump cast inside the balancer and the front counterweight, which will be 180 deg out from the rear.

Both balancer and flywheel will always need a matched external balance: either 28oz or 50oz at each end, never a combo of the two. The required balance depends on what crank you use, not the engine. If you use a later model crank, it will need a 50oz flywheel/flexplate and balancer.

They went to 50oz (up from 28oz) from 1982 onwards, to bring them inline with the 351W which got it a few years earlier. They did this to reduce the amount of material and internal counterweighting and give the crank less rotating mass.

The reason for external balancing is that you can correct an imbalance with a smaller counterweight further from the source (ie: the crank throws and rods) to achieve the same balancing effect as a much heavier crank counterweight closer to the source. More leverage if you like.

A neutral balance 157 tooth flywheel is for a 6 cylinder or a specially made, internally balanced (ie expensive) V8 crank.

Sent from my CPH1903 using Tapatalk

a lot of companys now make a dial your own flywheel and or balancer ,just add the weights provided,none,28 or fifty.,i finaly finished the engine today and put it on e bay for a fair price so i can go and pick up my 400

I’m on the hunt for a 5.0 efi and 4 speed auto to put into my Model A I’m attempting to build.

Got a lead on an EL era XR8 5.0 and auto, hopefully I can score it and slap a carb and dizzy to keep it simple.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Then buy a mustang or Galaxie, to put it in?
I have been look8ng at 1971 72 galaxie they look like our zg zf fairlane a bit but could have any donk from a 302 to 460 even 400 and 351w

Sent from my SM-G570Y using Tapatalk

And will last a lot longer as a regular driver vs the usual 347 piston load/rod angle issues

Sent from my CPH1920 using Tapatalk

I saw a 221 windsor for sale today i wonder how high that th8ng will rev

Sent from my SM-G570Y using Tapatalk