CHESTNUTXE

WINDSOR SMALLBLOCK TALK

good question std i suppose,problem is when converting a roller block back too carby there is no special gasket kit as you need half and half of both new and old sets so i just buy them as i need them ,in the end works out about the same as a full kit,in the morning will fit next 4 pistons and oil pump,put heads on then wait till sump arrives,new timing cover and arp bolt set for waterpump and timing cover.

thing is most will want old style water pump ,so the new ones are no good,you need a 1 piece rear main seal which the older kit dont have,and intake gaskets for a later engine have larger water passages as older is smaller,so yeah many more as well,dont need all the efi gaskets and crap.

Just thinking what I did with intake gaskets, but remembered that the alloy heads came with them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ok all in and re chex 70lbs on mains now lets have a look at the std oil pump then move to the roller lifters as they need to go in b4 heads are bolted down e872356d6389406ee8e2ad0eac69449c.jpgcc50842777b162d85d56ecf061435e7a.jpg

Sent from my SM-G570Y using Tapatalk

oil pump on and looking cool,the plastic or carbon roller lifter holders go straight on and just a slight push down secures them into place,next lets put the heads on and just double check everything and bolt the spider into place.s9XYSuc7_o.jpg9dtni6JK_o.jpg

got heaps done today ,heads are on ,rockers and pushrods,oiled up and all working good,here is an example of early 289,302,felpro gaskets,they sought of fit but are out on the water passage by about 2mm and 1mm on inlet ,could trim them if you had no choice but i will order the correct set for late heads.K5GOJgsH_o.jpgJJonLncS_o.jpgNa4nBKlp_o.jpg

yeah its so awsome having everything cleaned and oiled and ready for assembly ,time hammers when the stereo is cranking and lunch is cooked for you now hours to talk shit on here,also splurged out on a decent pan gasket 1 piece ,timing cover gasket set came too with seal to suit cover.k2n94WW5_o.jpgYrwWx0S2_o.jpg

Looking good mate!

I wouldn't worry too much about the right gaskets for the heads, if your luck is anything like mine they'll be a less-than-stellar fit anyway.

Give some Permatex 'Ultra Grey' a go, its bloody great at oil and water seals and hasn't failed me yet - hell the whole sump of my crossflow is sealed with it as I had a tube starting to turn. Doesn't leak a damn drop!

Keep up the good stuff - boingk

i just orderd the correct later gaskets ,only 28 bux delivered,i also cant belive how much a std performer manifold is,i bought one a year ago for $300 now they are about 440 plus,i wonder if trump gets bent over their dollar might take a nose dive ? then we can go crazy on the summit order of hot bits.

Yeah don't get me started on the conversion at the moment. I'm going to run a Procomp 'Eliminator' which is their stab at a Performer RPM AirGap. Still $280 delivered, but apparently get within 10hp of the Eddy casting.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Ford-SB-260-289-302-Windsor-Eliminator-Intake-Manifold-Satin/372403843878?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

im sure a little port matching with that would get yur 10hp,here we go again notice the water passage on that one suits a older windsor ,its very small ,hey if you buy it i will give you the felpro ones i have to suit,free.

Yeah don't get me started on the conversion at the moment. I'm going to run a Procomp 'Eliminator' which is their stab at a Performer RPM AirGap. Still $280 delivered, but apparently get within 10hp of the Eddy casting.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Ford-SB-260-289-302-Windsor-Eliminator-Intake-Manifold-Satin/372403843878?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649
I dunno how much better their quality is these days, but they even managed to fuck up manifolds in the past, something like end rails machined too high or low, or manifold faces way out of whack. Required machining or massive packing out (can't remember)

Sent from my CPH1903 using Tapatalk

Did you put thread sealer on the head studs? half the head bolts go into the water jacket on a roller engine and they will pretty much immediately blow headgaskets if you don't have thread sealer on the bolts

yes on the outer bolts thom,but how much sealer do you need to put ? and how far up the thread do you put it,i used permatex about 1/4 of the way up but not to much of it,just a few mm band is that enough or put more ?

yes on the outer bolts thom,but how much sealer do you need to put ? and how far up the thread do you put it,i used permatex about 1/4 of the way up but not to much of it,just a few mm band is that enough or put more ?
Timing cover just lobbed up even has dipstick plug if neededcf0c579703480e745f6d5136e2111a04.jpg

That seems like it would work

ok thanks,i think you need a press to get the oil seal on the timing cover ,my method did not work
My sump arrived at 5.41am on a sunday morning 1229812c634061ac83626c8b39e4ebce.jpg