CHESTNUTXE

WINDSOR SMALLBLOCK TALK

Nah lol i bought this engine in pieces the bloke just threw anything in the bucket he gave me for it,probly he didnt even know as i really only wanted the block

I can’t see how the roller 351 push rods are the same length as the 302 roller???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sent from my SM-G570Y using Tapatalk

i found some cam retaining bolts i can use on it,plus fitted main bearings just waiting until tomorrow to pick up the crank and do my dummy fit with a piston n ring just to see the deck height,also cleaned up a spider and 8 roller lifters fully cleaned this time with all of the guts out and re assembly.Y1mEleBF_o.jpgiHWAmwGy_o.jpgAUMtxyeK_o.jpg

i found some cam retaining bolts i can use on it,plus fitted main bearings just waiting until tomorrow to pick up the crank and do my dummy fit with a piston n ring just to see the deck height,also cleaned up a spider and 8 roller lifters fully cleaned this time with all of the guts out and re assembly.Y1mEleBF_o.jpgiHWAmwGy_o.jpgAUMtxyeK_o.jpg
Ol m8 linished the crank so i can do my set up now also bought another spider n dog bones cheap597d6efe4816819ca4b1aeb9fd17f55c.jpg

Sweet, are you just going to give the bores a quick home?

What’s the plans for heads, cam, intake?

Yeah man its soo close the tdc like the 5.0l i just did check it out also the crankturns soo free even keeps going a turn after letting godede6b74baa67d9438077dd7aee001eb.jpg1c61debe003038f7e89f0d1c6a558f8b.jpg188ff2900dd196c9d7dcfd51f970a485.jpg

i am finding it hard to find 3fifty1w heads as supply of cast irons is not many in aus,but all the cheaper alloys have the 1/2 inch holes and for $940 you can get a pair fully compleat and ready to go,plus have sixty cc chamber,not sixty 7 or larger,as im using dish pistons the smaller chamber will suit perfect.

Yeah just slap a set of cheap alloys on it, you will likely have to upgrade the valve springs due to the roller cam so check that out.

Well i be fkd the rings from America arrived in only a few days wtf ? It said 4 weeks postage time they better fit or im ordering flat topsde2e02de22a0375422774f75d2dd0e97.jpg

Well i be fkd the rings from America arrived in only a few days wtf ? It said 4 weeks postage time they better fit or im ordering flat topsde2e02de22a0375422774f75d2dd0e97.jpg

Well they seem to be right but im a bit concerned about the oil control rings i will show ol m8 on the way to work2715d663a51e1923dbbb36bdddcb23bf.jpg

the top rings are spot on ,just the oil might need a bit of file maybe its borderline
The machine shop says they are fine but im gunna check them in the bore

The machine shop says they are fine but im gunna check them in the bore

Nice new pushrods came these are roller cam fittment length and the flat tappet ones are even longerb0617d0e6b3760cf09a61aabf293b05d.jpg

Chex difference between 302 roller and 351 roller 91e4a4976ae857fd215ec45671d25b52.jpg

My cloyes timing set came for late model windsor can + or _ 4deg if your a retard lol658407a757f41a91d9f679e3273f4b13.jpgeee1f9b6072fd02a0e9a794246ae54c0.jpg

if you had to file the oil ring back 3mm would you take 3mm off 1 side or 1-5mm off each side for a better fit ,here is the reason why,if i fit the ring with both ends butterd up in the piston it sticks out too far off the ring slot see pic,surley thats not right,? but the top rings are perfect,i showed the machine shop and he didnt seem to fussed about it ,but i smell a rat,any ideas.SfJ5WHn0_o.jpghjc2zsVJ_o.jpgfT8CQpwD_o.jpg

I think you should listen to the machine shop. As long as the spring fits in between the two rings without the overlap interfering, it's a non-issue. Remember the job of the oil ring is to scrape oil off, not seal. I don't think they should be butting up at all. That could be a recipe for disaster (locking up, etc)

Sent from my CPH1607 using Tapatalk

yeah thats whats bothering me,i spent 2 weeks on the internet harassing usa engine part places to get the right rings ,the 2 small oil rings are actually spacers between the spring arnt they ?,im gunna do a dummy fit first when i get the block back and see what is going on,i thought the rings are not supposed to protude out even 001' ?

They shouldn't (generally) overlap, as you said, but they should be lower than the piston skirt when pressed with your fingers. Otherwise the ring groove is not deep enough/wrong oil control rings. It looks ok in that second shot, just need to file the ends down carefully, and check the end gap in the bore.