CHESTNUTXE

WINDSOR SMALLBLOCK TALK

Im haveing massive trouble finding correct rings for the 351w factory piston as its an american thing ,plenty in the usa i might have too order them,302 efi is different

Sent from my SM-G570Y using Tapatalk

What’s different?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The depth of the rings is 4mm and the eb_au is 3.5mm ,1994 efi 351 onwards is the same as lightning f truck i think im gunna get an expert tomorrow to sus it out

What’s different?

The depth of the rings is 4mm and the eb_au is 3.5mm ,1994 efi 351 onwards is the same as lightning f truck i think im gunna get an expert tomorrow to sus it out

What are your goals with this engine? Is it worthwhile considering using a better quality piston in it?

i've had pistons machined to take a thicker ring when the groove was worn..(from revving too high with ridge worn on the bore) (should have bored it and new rings..no money problems)

think the rings i got from auto surplus in mitcham, they still exist 20+yrs later (https://www.autosurplus.com.au/ ) wouldn't surprise me if they know what you want and have it?

i will probly keep this engine as its std bore and a good starting point for a stroker down the track,i can get rings for it but from the usa on e bay so about 2 weeks,and 170 bucks,i have already spent hours on each piston cleaning them better than usual,i orderd main and conrod bearings today ,olm8 has inspected the crank and reckons just a linish/polish will bring it up,i need just about every bolt that goes to build this ,i might just buy one of those arp or similar kits,anyway here is the ring thing,its 4mm deep you can see,and the ring is 1.5 mm,the problem is getting a set that is 4mm deep,the 302 ring is 3.5mm,ford did some weird things.cVO4MHfY_o.jpg77UjhrOP_o.jpg

i've had pistons machined to take a thicker ring when the groove was worn..(from revving too high with ridge worn on the bore) (should have bored it and new rings..no money problems)

think the rings i got from auto surplus in mitcham, they still exist 20+yrs later (https://www.autosurplus.com.au/ ) wouldn't surprise me if they know what you want and have it?

Auto Surplus are awesome, they only sell quality stuff. I buy all my gaskets through them.

yeah i have even looked at genuine boss 302 heads from the states ,but you would be better off using the edelbrock mock boss 2v intake and alloy edelbrock 2v heads to suit,but price is crazy compard to just bolt on alloy windsor heads and matching rpm manifold,but each to thier own i suppose,i have contacted a usa company about these piston rings,never thought it would be hard to find the correct rings,also the std conrod bearings just came.

yeah i have even looked at genuine boss 302 heads from the states ,but you would be better off using the edelbrock mock boss 2v intake and alloy edelbrock 2v heads to suit,but price is crazy compard to just bolt on alloy windsor heads and matching rpm manifold,but each to thier own i suppose,i have contacted a usa company about these piston rings,never thought it would be hard to find the correct rings,also the std conrod bearings just came.

Boss motor would be cool, but with all the good alloy heads out there it wouldn’t be worth it really, not on those cubes in my opinion. Kaase P38 Windsors heads...search them.

yeah i saw that on you tube where they chuked em on a junkyard 302w and it made massive hp,ol m8 at the machine shop found a ring set that should suit,belive it or not its for a repco/holden formula five thousand engine,we also found out that this piston has 2 different ring sets for the same piston ? never thought it would be this hard to find correct rings.

i wonder how much they are ,probly five grand,anyway im glad i showed the machine shop guy my piston ring problem,we struck out with finding correct rings,here is the problem picture 1 shows 4.7mm depth of ring which is the 2nd ring on the piston,picture 2 shows 4mm depth which is the 1st ring on the piston,this is where i need to get on the phone or laptop in america and just find the correct rings as in this era ford used many combos for some reason,1994 to 1997 used this rings i think and was fitted to the lightning f150,a 351w roller block,man there is some shit to learn about windsors !OXvuG8w9_o.jpglmuCcEHI_o.jpg

A mate of mine built a up a 351c a few years ago and it was a slap together, just new rings n bearings... the bores were already at 30 thou so just a quick hone, the machine shop said the bored were out of round but should seal ok, just don’t expect to get 50000km out it it.
Motor went well in all respects.

Ok so i have 8 pistons looking good and while down the wreckers i found an old 302w style oil pressure extension i think ?

when i get him to install the cam bearings and welsh plug kit i will ask him to sus the block out first
efda501e05caeb4c9893e1764ece459b.jpg4824368a14294b4bf4c3d31afa78b6c8.jpg

Seems to fit

Ok so i have 8 pistons looking good and while down the wreckers i found an old 302w style oil pressure extension i think ?
efda501e05caeb4c9893e1764ece459b.jpg4824368a14294b4bf4c3d31afa78b6c8.jpg

102ce4003a7a560d11737f8c4ca43429.jpg

I did some more research overnight and found the pushrods that came with this engine are roller 302 size 6.250 as the 351w ones are longer and the flat tappett pushrods are even longer

Yes that is exactly what it is.
57c69c786eaf0843fcbfba5a8bdf36a3.jpg

7d69386c47d820dbb7e959d237502e87.jpg